[Solved] All menus are in Greek letters

Issues with installing under all GNU/Linux Distributions
moving fusion

[Solved] All menus are in Greek letters

Post by moving fusion »

I'm using openoffice 2.3.0 in Fedora core 8. I have tried the bundled version, the add remove software version and the official download, all three gave the same results. All the menu teat is in Greek letters, yet I have not installed any language packs and the language, by default, is set too English. As far as I can see the is no option to change the characters used and therefore I am at a complete loss on how to solve the problem. Any help hugely appreciated. Thank You.
Last edited by moving fusion on Thu Jan 24, 2008 5:14 am, edited 1 time in total.
acknak

Re: All menues are in greek letters

Post by acknak »

... the language, by default, is set too English.
Set for your system, or for OOo? How did you check this?

Your other menus (desktop, panels, etc.) are in English, right?

Try logging in as a different user (create one if necessary) and running OOo.

If that works, you can fix your normal login by removing your OOo configuration: rm -fr ~/.openoffice2*

The next time you start OOo, it will create a new configuration for you.
AOO4/LO5 • Linux • Fedora 23
Hagar Delest

Post by Hagar Delest »

If removing the OOo user profile doesn't work, try to change the applications fonts set for the system. Under Ubuntu and Gnome it happens sometimes. Rather weird but it does.

Thanks to add '[Solved]' in your first post title (edit button) if your issue has been fixed.
LibreOffice 7.6.2.1 on Xubuntu 23.10 and 7.6.4.1 portable on Windows 10
kingfisher
Volunteer

Post by kingfisher »

You may be able to fix the problem by re-naming your user settings folder. It's normally a hidden folder in your home folder. I suggest re-naming it rather than removing it so that you can reinstate it if that is not the problem. The folder will be re-created when OO is re-launched. Make sure all OO processes are closed when you re-name the folder, including any quick starter.
Apache OpenOffice 4.1.9 on Linux
moving fusion

Post by moving fusion »

As it turns out it was my system set fonts. Which I find strange as there has never been a problem with any other application. I have changed the fonts and it all works now. OpenOffice must be the only program on my system that uses system fonts, which can't be the case, so that means its the way it uses system fonts that is the problem. Either way, i have now sorted the problem. Thank you for the suggestions.
acknak

Re: [Solved] All menues are in greek letters

Post by acknak »

I have changed the fonts and it all works now.
In the interest of helping someone else who runs into this, can you describe exactly what you changed?
Hagar Delest

Post by Hagar Delest »

moving fusion wrote:that means its the way it uses system fonts that is the problem.
Yes. The strange thing is that it doesn't occur systematically. Personally, I've never experienced that. But it's a rather common issue on Ubuntu forums.

There is also an issue with backgrounds and fonts color in menus (if you use a dark theme), it may be related.
LibreOffice 7.6.2.1 on Xubuntu 23.10 and 7.6.4.1 portable on Windows 10
moving fusion

Post by moving fusion »

The system fonts I changed are found in the following menu: System>>Preferences>>Look and Feel>>Appearance. Then click on the fonts tab. I changed them all to Cursor bold. The important thing is I changed them from Standard Symbols, which is what was causing the problem. I run my own theme which is all black with green text. The only issue with this is some 3D buttons appear totally black, however, I don't consider this a problem as I know why they are like that. I hope this helps.
acknak

Post by acknak »

Ok, I see now. Thanks for the update!