jabber room

Talk about anything at all....
rene

jabber room

Post by rene »

In accordance with the non proprietary concept of openoffice, there is a jabber room available: openoffice at conference full stop jabber full stop org.
ooo 321; gnome 220; ibm java jre 160; gnu linux mandrake 2008
ooo 2319238; postgresql 826; gnome 220; ibm java jre 150; gnu linux mandriva 2007
openoffice<at>conference.jabber.org
ccornell
Volunteer

Re: jabber room

Post by ccornell »

It might be a good idea to explain a little to everyone what a Jabber conference room is... maybe with a "How do I Connect".

If this channel gets enough regular members, it would be worth adding it to the OOoWiki somewhere, and maybe asking on the dev@website if a link to the Jabber room and info about how to connect to it can be added to the OOo website.
openSUSE 11.4, KDE4.6 with OpenOffice.org 3.3
rene

Post by rene »

Very simple:

1. using a client application such as gaim (sorry, pidgin, an even worse name, but I digress)
a) crtl+c to open a dialogue window to join a room
b) type the name of the room (in this case, openoffice)
c) check that the server name is conference at jabber full stop org and amend if necessary to this address.
d) join!

2. Using a web service such as koolim (http://www.koolim.com) or meebo
follow the instructions of the web service provider.
ooo 2319238; postgresql 826; gnome 220; ibm java jre 150; gnu linux mandriva 2007
huw
Volunteer

Post by huw »

Just to clarify, does Pidgin install the Jabber IM protocol by default?

Like a lot of people, I use Pidgin purely to combine Yahoo, MSN, and GMail IM in one interface, and never use Jabber itself. I'm not likely to visit, but others may need to know this in order to.
ccornell
Volunteer

Post by ccornell »

GTalk is a Jabber protocol... so if you can use GTalk, you have Jabber support. I believe that Jabber(GTalk) support is included in the precompiled Pidgin binaries (as well as the source) for most Linux distributions and for the Windows version.
(I have to add Jabber/GTalk support separately for Pidgin on the Nokia N800)
rene

Post by rene »

I think it depends on the accounts that you create; e.g if you create a jabber account, this client would use that to connect. I guess that you need a jabber account to connect to a jabber room.

The objective is only quicker communication (rather than having to refresh web pages like now, for instance). Of course, it is possible to export the logs onto the forum for future reference, when discussion may be deemed useful for others...
rene

Post by rene »

I forgot that, most people don't even know that gtalk uses jabber protocol.
ccornell
Volunteer

Post by ccornell »

rene wrote:I guess that you need a jabber account to connect to a jabber room.
If you have a GTalk account, that is enough. I am in the room right now and do not have a specific Jabber.org account. I just used my GTalk account to connect. Worked fine.
acknak

Post by acknak »

Not that it matters, but I just don't get chats.

What is the advantage of this as a channel for OOo support?

The feature I think would help hugely: a way to share a real-time screen view. I'll stop short of saying remote connections because that would just be too risky through a public forum, but some way that people could see their answer--as if they were watching someone else perform the particular operation they're asking about.

You ask a question (forum or chat), someone says "here, I'll show you", you get a remote desktop view, with a chat or audio, and you see how it's done.

I guess bandwidth would be a big issue, but it wouldn't have to be 24fps to be useful.
AOO4/LO5 • Linux • Fedora 23