Insert multiple images into a blank spreadsheet

Discuss the spreadsheet application
dogonwheels

Insert multiple images into a blank spreadsheet

Post by dogonwheels »

I've just started using open office so forgive me if this has been asked before or if it's obvious, I've done a few searches here and can't find what I'm after.

Is there any way to insert multiple images (usually jpegs) into a blank spreadsheet?

I have hundreds of images, all in the same folder and all of them are in the order I want them in the document.

What I need is for picture 1 to appear in cell 1A, picture 2 to appear in cell 2A, picture 3 to appear in cell 3A and so on.

If this is possible, would the cells automatically re size to fit the picture?

Many thanks in advance.

Rich.
OOo 3.0.X on Mac OSx Leopard
Villeroy
Volunteer

Re: Insert multiple images into a blank spreadsheet

Post by Villeroy »

Don't embed images in spreadsheets. Calc is not designed to maintain pictures. There are dozends of specialized tools for this. Pictures in Calc can be decorative elements or illustrations, but if you want them to treat like cell values you will be disappointed as soon as you filter or sort anything.
The best you can do with images and Calc: Topic: [Solved] Can't insert Cell value in Hyperlink
Just dump a file listing into the spreadsheet, specify the directory relative to the spreadsheet's path and use Calc's HYPERLINK function to access a picture conveniently.
Please, edit this topic's initial post and add "[Solved]" to the subject line if your problem has been solved.
Ubuntu 18.04 with LibreOffice 6.0, latest OpenOffice and LibreOffice
dogonwheels

Post by dogonwheels »

Unfortunately I have to have the images in the spreadsheet. I also need to be able to save the file and distribute it to multiple users on different workstations. I know you can do it in excel by dragging in each individual picture, but I no longer have access to that and it took ages. This is something I need to do every few weeks :(
Villeroy
Volunteer

Post by Villeroy »

Come on. This task has absolutely nothing to do with calculations. Can't you dump the pics on a web-site? Calc can definitively not do what you want.
Please, edit this topic's initial post and add "[Solved]" to the subject line if your problem has been solved.
Villeroy
Volunteer

Post by Villeroy »

I also need to be able to save the file and distribute it to multiple users on different workstations.
P.S. Did you notice the zip-archive I attached to Topic: [Solved] Can't insert Cell value in Hyperlink :?: It includes all pictures and the spreadsheet with the information related to the pictures, including the calculated links wherever you extracted the whole package.
dogonwheels

Post by dogonwheels »

I saw the zip file, it won't work for my purposes though. This is for bidding documents for films, I need to have the picture of the shot on the spreadsheet as it often gets printed out and posted. Also needs to be opened in excel by some users. If open office won't work I suppose it's back to excel, I was just trying to avoid using it.

Thanks for the info.