Automatic scrolling- OOo as teleprompter?

Discuss the word processor
ginestre

Automatic scrolling- OOo as teleprompter?

Post by ginestre »

I'm sure this is possible, because all of the functionality is basically already in place. I want to use OO as a teleprompter ( a machine that scrolls automatically through a document, so you can read it aloud into the microphone. It's used a lot in professional recording)

What would happen?
I'd turn autoscroll ON
The document would start to scroll at a slow speed
Speed could be increased or decreased somehow
UNTIL autoscroll is turned off

Anyone got any helpful ideas? TIA
squenson
Volunteer

Re: automatic scroling- OO as teleprompter?

Post by squenson »

I have a mouse with a wheel that can be used as a third button. If I click on the wheel, I get a new pointer icon (a disk with two small arrows up and down). If I move the mouse vertically I get scrolling and the vertical distance from the disk changes the scroll speed. AFAIK, it works in all my applications, including Calc and Writer.
LibreOffice 4.2.3.3. on Ubuntu 14.04
ginestre

Re: automatic scroling- OO as teleprompter?

Post by ginestre »

Thanks for this, I didn't know that. But I also hjave the same mouse wheel, and it works as you describe in Firefox, but not in OO. Is there soem setting to turn on, I wonder. I looked in the obvious places, but couldn't find any. (I'm using oo 2.4 under ubuntu)
Hagar Delest

Re: Automatic scrolling- OOo as teleprompter?

Post by Hagar Delest »

Look in Tools>Options>OOo>View and change the Middle mouse button settings. Under GNU/Linux, middle click is used for copy/paste by default.

Thanks to add '[Solved]' at beginning of your first post title (edit button) if your issue has been fixed.
LibreOffice 7.6.2.1 on Xubuntu 23.10 and 7.6.4.1 portable on Windows 10
ginestre

Post by ginestre »

Thanks, I got the autoscroll to work. But it's not really flexible enough- minimum scroll speed is too fast, and it's not easy to pause if need be.

I'm thinking that a macro would probably be able to do this, but I'm not capable of writing one. Anyone interested ?
Jb300

Post by Jb300 »

Hello:
I also would like to use OpenOffice as a teleprompter. I have searched Google for the macro basic commands to move the scroll bar and found only one post:

http://www.oooforum.org/forum/viewtopic.phtml?t=28594

The code did not work for me, however, and I would like something shorter and simpler. Can anyone please offer a few lines of code that would move the scroll bar down one small step? Isn't there a simple way to do this simple task?

Thanks
OpenOffice 3.2 on Ubuntu 10.04