Install new fonts

Discuss setup / installation issues - Add a spell checker, Language pack?
David Marien

Install new fonts

Post by David Marien »

Hello Everybody,

I like old fonts very much. That is the reason why I downloaded some from the Internet. But they don`t work with Ooo, Ooo can`t install them
In a summery I will describe what I have done. Maybe it is helpful for finding a solution of the Problem.

After the download has finished I started the "font installation assistent" (I don`t know the correct english translation, hope you will know what I mean ) a dialouge was opend there I chose the option "install offline fontpackage" then I told Ooo the place of the fonts in my PC so that Ooo can open them.
Untill this point everything worked. But as I clicked the button "forward" a new window appeared
"Basic runtime error!
a Exeption has occurred: type: sun.star.packages.zipIOExeption
There was another window opened: a kind of Basic programm, I don`t know.
All Ooo windows had to be closed.

Can I only install those fonts that are offered by the "font installation assistent" or exist a possibility to install fonts from the Internet.
An Answer for a unexperieneced user would be very helpful
Thank you for your help.

sincerely yours David Marien
DrewJensen
Volunteer

Re: install new fonts

Post by DrewJensen »

If the fonts you downloaded are PD could you supply a link to one of the, preferably the one that gave your the problem so that I could try and see if I can get it to install.

Thanks
Former member of The Document Foundation
Former member of Apache OpenOffice PMC
LibreOffice on Ubuntu 18.04
acknak

Post by acknak »

Skip the wizard--just download the font files and run your system's font installer. Re-start OOo and you'll be all set.
AOO4/LO5 • Linux • Fedora 23
Pippin

Post by Pippin »

Hi

I've tried installing a new font from here

http://www.dafont.com/budhand.font?nb_p ... =SuzyQ%27s

and get the same error message. Is there anything I can do?

Thanks

Heidi
OpenOffice 2.3 on Windows XP
acknak

Post by acknak »

Skip the wizard--just download the font files and run your system's font installer. Re-start OOo and you'll be all set.

In the example you gave, the there are two font files (regular and bold weights) packed in a zip archive. I'm not a Windows wizard, but I think this is close to the correct procedure for installing fonts:
1) Download the file (budhand.zip)
2) Double-click on the downloaded file.
You should get a window with three files: two fonts (BUDHAND2.TTF and Budhrg__.ttf) and one text file (BUDBOLD.TXT).
3) Open the system control panel
4) Open the Fonts control panel item and drag the two "TTF" files into the font window.

That should install the fonts for your system, and OOo should find them the next time you start it. You have to completely exit OOo, including the OOo "quickstarter" in the system tray as well (or just log out and log in again).

The fonts work fine for me (on Linux) so there is nothing wrong with the file.
AOO4/LO5 • Linux • Fedora 23
Hagar Delest

Post by Hagar Delest »

If you run Windows (please read the Survival Guide for the forum BTW), just drag and drop the .ttf files in the \Windows\fonts folder, they will be automatically installed.

Thanks to add '[Solved]' in your first post title (edit button) if your issue has been fixed.
LibreOffice 7.6.2.1 on Xubuntu 23.10 and 7.6.4.1 portable on Windows 10