Adding cells

Discuss the spreadsheet application
joe2day

Adding cells

Post by joe2day »

I have ver 2.3.1 of open office. In calc I have about 12 cells and what I want to do is put a number in one of the cells and have it total in another cell.Like I would like to put an amount in cell a and have the total amount show up in cell e, then put a total in cell c and have the total show up in cell f I have a few more like that but it is just easy addition but I don't know how to get the formals in the cells. Also I do the math by hand now and my other question would be can you have the $ sign in the cell and still have it add? or do you have to remove the $ sign to get it to add? Thanks to any one that might be able to help me. I do not need to have the $ sign in the cell,if it would be easer to not have it in the cell
Villeroy
Volunteer

Re: Adding cells

Post by Villeroy »

If A1:A12 contains the numbers put formula =SUM($A$1:$A$12) to A13. Select A1:A13 and call "Format..." from the context menu. Tab "Numbers", "Currency".
Please, edit this topic's initial post and add "[Solved]" to the subject line if your problem has been solved.
Ubuntu 18.04 with LibreOffice 6.0, latest OpenOffice and LibreOffice
joe2day

Post by joe2day »

I am still not sure if I understand. I want to put an amount in cell a and have that total in cell c. Then put an amount in cell d and have the total in cell f
joe2day

Post by joe2day »

maybe some one can tell from this what I want to do.I want to put an amount in cell b and have it added in cell e. then put amount in cell c and have it added in cell f and so on.hope this will help. Joe
Attachments
GOLFCOST.JPG
acknak

Post by acknak »

Ok, nice. That's a big help to understand what you're doing.

In cell E4, enter this formula:

E4: =B4
E5: =B5+E4

Click on cell E4 and drag down to select both E4 and E5. Now drag the fill handle (the little black square at lower right of the black selection rectangle) one column to the right to include F4:F5 as well. This will copy the formulas and give you the totals in E & F for the first two rows.

Now select E5:F5 and drag the fill handle down to fill in the rest of the rows in columns E/F.

You can double-click on any of the formulas to see and check which cells are being added.
AOO4/LO5 • Linux • Fedora 23
joe2day

Post by joe2day »

Ok I understand what you are saying but when I drag the column down the only thing that shows up in the cell is the formula. IF I change the amount in column b nothing changes.It will not add anything .guess this is harder than I thought .I do thank every one for the help but for some reason it wont work or I am doing something wrong. I have tried to do it with the spreadsheet like I have in the attc. and then when it don't happen like it should i just say do you want to save or disregard the changes I click disregard so I don't have it all messed up .thanks again Joe
acknak

Post by acknak »

Verify that this setting is OFF (it has some way of changing all on it's own):

Tools > Options > OO.org Calc > View > Display > Formulas = NO (un-checked)
joe2day

Post by joe2day »

It was unchecked.
acknak

Post by acknak »

Have you entered the formulas with a leading "="?

Also, make sure the cell format of the cells you're working with is not "Text". You can do that by selecting all the data cells and doing Format > Cells > Numbers > Number / General, or perhaps ... > Numbers > Currency / -$1,234

If none of that helps, you can attach your document here: use the "Upload attachment" tab below. That might make it easier to figure out where the problem is.
joe2day

Post by joe2day »

the att is above in this post.You can see what I want to do ...Like put an amount in column b and have it added to column e.... put an amount in column c and have it added to column f .I have a computer class set up for open office but that is in March but would like to get this fixed to work before about 6/7 weeks for the class.
acknak

Post by acknak »

I can see what you want to do, but I can't see why you're having the trouble you describe: "... when I drag the column down the only thing that shows up in the cell is the formula."

Here, try the spreadsheet file I've attached below, maybe this will help you get started.

Open the file in Calc. There's a sample you can fill in yourself in the first sheet.

Enter the formulas just as they're shown here, starting with the "=" and ending with Enter.

Click on cell D4. Enter the formula: =C4-B4
You should see the result: $23.

Click on cell E4. Enter the formula =B4
You should see the result: $16

Now, click on cell E4 again and drag the fill handle over to the right to encompass cells F4 and G4. Release the mouse button.
You should see results in columns F & G now: $39 $23

If you click on cell F4 or G4, you can see that the "fill drag" has copied the formula from E4 into the other cells, and adjusted the formula so that it refers to columns C4 and D4. If you double-click the formula, you can see colored highlights showing what cells are referred to by that formula.

Click in cell H4. Enter the formula: =$B$2+E4.
You should see the result: $1,391

In cell E5, enter the formula: =B5+E4
Result: $27
Fill-drag E5 also to the right, into F5 and G5. Results: $68 $23

Ok, that's all the basic formulas. Now all we have to do is copy them into the other cells.

Click in cell D4; fill-drag down to D10.
Note that the value in cell G5 changes from $23 to $41, because there's now a value in D5.

Click in cell H4; fill-drag down to H10.

Now select cells E5 to G5 (click in E5 and drag over to G5--don't drag the fill handle, just drag the mouse)
With the three cells selected, fill-drag down to G10.

Your results should now match the results from Excel that you attached here.
There's also a completed example on the second sheet in the attached document (see tabs at bottom of Calc window).
Attachments
golf.ods
Sample spreadsheet
(9.9 KiB) Downloaded 233 times
joe2day

Post by joe2day »

Hello, this is to acknak. I wanted to thank you for all your help.The last day you sent me some more information, my sister in law called and asked what i was doing and i told her I was trying to get a spreadsheet to work and she told me that she did them all the time and run me thru every thing and it worked great,but I do want to thank you for your time and help.Joe
acknak

Post by acknak »

No problem, glad you got it worked out.