Printing Labels from Calc

Discuss the spreadsheet application
JahRu

Printing Labels from Calc

Post by JahRu »

Okay! So I want to print labels from the data in my spreadsheet. Something tells me this is probably really simple but I can't seem to find any answers. Here's what I'm dealing with:

I want to make labels to go on items that need to be distributed. Across the top of the sheet is the item description, with the names of my customers down the left hand side. The quantity is listed under the item. I would like to print a label for each item. The format for the label should have the item name, the customer and I would like the number of labels to reflect the number of items orderd. For example, if John ordered 2 of A and 1 of B, I would like 2 labels printed for A and 1 for B.This seems simple enough as I mentioned, but........
OOo 3.0.X on MS Windows Vista
acknak

Re: Printing Labels from Calc

Post by acknak »

OOo has only one way to automate the creation of labels: you can "merge" data from a database into a Writer document that sserves as a template for the labels.

The database can be a spreadsheet, but it must conform to the basic structure of a database table. I.e., all data that belongs together--that pertains to the same thing--is stored in exactly one row of the table, and each column in the table holds data of the same type and describing the same attribute.

E.g. if each row pertains to one label, you might have: Column A: Item Name, Column B: Customer Name

Then you can set up a label template in Writer and merge in the data, one row providing the data for one label.

You can find a good introduction to making labels in OOo here: http://www.freesoftwaremagazine.com/art ... office_org
AOO4/LO5 • Linux • Fedora 23
JahRu

Post by JahRu »

[Table=]Name Silicone Spatula Silicone Baking Mat Silicone Square s/2
Name 1
Name
Name
[/Table]

I hope I did this right. This is a sample of what I am working with. I think this is what you described, no?
OOo 3.0.X on MS Windows Vista
TheGurkha
Volunteer

Post by TheGurkha »

Not quite, you need the data for each item to be on a single row, like this:
2009-04-01_141047.jpg
2009-04-01_141047.jpg (25.42 KiB) Viewed 3057 times
Ubuntu 14.10 Utopic Unicorn, LibreOffice Version: 4.3.3.2
Gurkha Welfare Trust