[Solved] User fields? Input fields? Hopelessly confused

Discuss the word processor
Finnlisa

[Solved] User fields? Input fields? Hopelessly confused

Post by Finnlisa »

I am a total newbie trying to recreate about 20 Word documents as Open Office templates. I want to define about 12 fields for Client Name, Product Name, Project Name, etc. I also want the user to have to input the information for each field when she first opens the file. I've tried creating these fields under User Fields, but I keep getting unexpected results. Sometimes the fields also appear under Input Fields, and sometimes they don't. In one of my attempts, all 12 fields appear under Input Fields, and four of those also appear under User Fields. In another file, all 12 fields appear under Input Fields and none under User Fields, but when I open a document from the template, I am not prompted to fill in values for the fields. And sometimes I get additional field entries with _renamed added.

I've read the User's Guide chapter on fields, but it's just not helping. Can anyone help me out? What kind of field do I need to create, and where? Is there a good explanation of fields that you can direct me to?

Thanks!
Last edited by Finnlisa on Mon Mar 30, 2009 3:49 pm, edited 1 time in total.
OOo 3.0.X on Ms Windows XP
Hagar Delest

Re: User fields? Input fields? Hopelessly confused

Post by Hagar Delest »

I agree, using fields is not that easy at first.
  • The first operation is to create the reference: go to the first place where the field has to be repeated (not to be asked). In the Field dialog, create your User field.
  • Now go to the first place where that field should appear and where it should ask the user to be filled in. Here, create your Input field and select the field you've created above.
That's all!

Thanks to add '[Solved]' at beginning of your first post title (edit button) if your issue has been fixed.
LibreOffice 7.6.2.1 on Xubuntu 23.10 and 7.6.4.1 portable on Windows 10
Finnlisa

Post by Finnlisa »

That helped somewhat. So is the following correct? If I create User Fields, they will also appear under Input Fields. If I want to insert a field that asks for the input each time, I should insert an Input Field. If I want to insert a field that does not ask for the input each time but does update globally throughout the document when the value is changed, I should insert a User Field. Is that all correct?
OOo 3.0.X on Ms Windows XP
Hagar Delest

Post by Hagar Delest »

Yes. Note that in fact, it's not mandatory to insert the User field when you create it. Once you've given it a name and a value, just click the green check mark right of the value field. Then the name of the field created is available in the list and can be selected if you highlight Input field.
LibreOffice 7.6.2.1 on Xubuntu 23.10 and 7.6.4.1 portable on Windows 10
Splat

Re: [Solved] User fields? Input fields? Hopelessly confused

Post by Splat »

A useful guide by Hagar Delest.
Is there any way of using an Input list instead of Input field?
The text which I want repeating throughout the document wants to be from a drop-down list of options.
Might I have to divert from Fields to Forms and Databases? :cry:
Do you get wafers with it?

OpenOffice 4.00 with Winders 8.1 pro
ibelin123

Re: [Solved] User fields? Input fields? Hopelessly confused

Post by ibelin123 »

"Is there any way of using an Input list instead of Input field?
The text which I want repeating throughout the document wants to be from a drop-down list of options.
Might I have to divert from Fields to Forms and Databases?"

@splat did you ever figure out a solution to your problem?
OpenOffice 4.1.2 on Windows 7