Download only brings up Writer portion

Issues with installing under all versions of MS Windows
openplz

Download only brings up Writer portion

Post by openplz »

I have repeatedly downloaded OpenOffice 3.0.1 (complete uninstall and another time tried just the repair). It says its successful but when it opens it's only the writer portion and shows a document needs to be repaired so I "fix" it.
Since I mostly need the writer portion, I thought I'd just hobble along with that. But each time I open it again, it starts by saying that same doc needs to be repaired!
Every time I reinstall I never get the full product and it shows docs needing to be repaired!!!
Thank you for any assistance.
OOo 3.0.X on Ms Windows XP
Hagar Delest

Re: download only brings up writer portion

Post by Hagar Delest »

Try to reset your OOo user profile but don't transfer your personal data during the welcome process if you had a 2.x version, configuration files from the former version might corrupt the new profile.

Thanks to add '[Solved]' at beginning of your first post title (edit button) if your issue has been fixed.
LibreOffice 7.6.2.1 on Xubuntu 23.10 and 7.6.4.1 portable on Windows 10
openplz

Re: [Tutorial] The OOo user profile

Post by openplz »

Thx SO MUCH for replying--and so quickly :D
I never had version 2.
When I went thru Tools to Options to Applications, it only showed Open Doc Text : (
 Edit: Please be careful to click the POST REPLY button on the proper thread; I moved this over from the profile tutorial, hopefully this is the right place ;-) Acknak, moderator 
Hagar Delest

Post by Hagar Delest »

openplz wrote:When I went thru Tools to Options to Applications, it only showed Open Doc Text : (
What are you talking about? Have you renamed the OOo user profile? and then restarted OOo and the Quickstarter?
openplz

Re: Download only brings up Writer portion

Post by openplz »

If I'm typing things in the wrong place, I'm SO sorry. It showed my subject and a "Post Reply". I've never been in these kinds of forums (no surprise, huh?).

In reply to what are you talking about, I'm sorry but that's the only way I knew how to write it.
What are YOU talking about? I never created a profile, and don't know where I'd find one to alter it.
openplz

Post by openplz »

This is such a grievous time to have to add problems using OOo. I can't figure out why download only brings up the writing portion of OOo and repeats that purportedly fixed docs are not.
I will be happy to write back a thank you, but I'll need to know where the user profile is and how to rename it.
Thank you in advance.
openplz

Post by openplz »

I haven't slept all nite and would really appreciate getting OOo usable.
We're using OOo on another machine with no problem--a Vista, no less.
On this XP, I can't get the full suite when I download (only get the writer portion), AND it opens each time informing me I must fix the same "FIXED" doc.
Has no one else ever had this occur or know why it's happening?
Thank you ahead.
acknak

Post by acknak »

On this XP, I can't get the full suite when I download (only get the writer portion), AND it opens each time informing me I must fix the same "FIXED" doc.
Take one problem at a time.

First, you should have all the applications unless you specifically asked for a special install with Writer only. Try this:
1) Start the OOo Writer application, however you want to do that: double-click an icon, or use the Windows Start menu.
2) Menu File > New > Spreadsheet
You should see a new empty spreadsheet appear. Now, if you try Tools > Options, you will see options for OOo Writer and OOo Calc.

Ok? Is that working for you?

If not, please tell us exactly what you tried (what you clicked, or what menu you used), and exactly what happened.
I never created a profile, and don't know where I'd find one to alter it.
The "profile" is just a name for the place where OOo keeps all it's settings. You (the user) should never need to know anything about it, but unfortunately, OOo sometimes has problems and it fails to keep its settings in good order. The next time you try to use OOo, it reads the bungled settings and gets confused. OOo does not know how to fix the settings itself, so you (the user) have to get involved and completely shut down OOo and manually remove the settings folder. After that, the next time OOo starts, it will create a new settings profile and everything should be right again.

Click on the link below (the same as Hagar gave), read the information there, and follow the instructions to get a fresh settings profile.
[Tutorial] The OOo user profile

That should prevent the document recovery message from repeating again.

If you have trouble getting a fresh profile, just tell us what you did and what happened.
AOO4/LO5 • Linux • Fedora 23
openplz

Post by openplz »

I AGAIN clicked on the title in the Start menu but it only brings up OOo Writer (no Excel, PP, etc though the icon says its the full suite).
In the Tools>Options I clicked on Paths and saw a lot of paths in the large box on the right, but all of them had words after \user I couldn't see any word Profile and I couldn't get any action on the words when I clicked on them.

I'd "Just" uninstall or choose repair again but they just eat up time and I still end up with only OOo Writer.

NOW when I open Writer it still says I have documents to repair which I already did.

AND a new thing: now when OOo Writer opens, it's just a teenie little rectangle centered at the very top bar (~0.5" x 1") and above it are 7 teenie tabs.

Obviously this isn't my area of expertise, but being somewhat qualified in other areas and this stymied here is frazzling.
Any suggestions will be so appreciated.
acknak

Post by acknak »

Sorry, I don't know what else to suggest that hasn't already been suggested.
AOO4/LO5 • Linux • Fedora 23
Hagar Delest

Post by Hagar Delest »

Do you confirm you've reset your OOo user profile?
Else, you can uninstall, clean the registry and reinstall. But remove the OOo user profile in that case too.