[Solved] script.xlb and dialog.xlb general error

Discuss setup / installation issues - Add a spell checker, Language pack?
Spurred_On

[Solved] script.xlb and dialog.xlb general error

Post by Spurred_On »

Howdy. I recently installed OOo 3.0.1. on a Windows XP system. I previously had OOo 3.0 installed in a folder path which I wanted to change. I uninstalled OOo 3.0, then installed 3.0.1 to a folder in a new path. The installation proceeded without any errors. However, every time I open any component of OOo 3.0.1 I am greeted with two error messages:
OpenOffice.org 3/Basis/share/basic/Launcher/script.xlb: General Error.
General input/output error

OpenOffice.org 3/Basis/share/basic/Launcher/dialog.xlb: General Error.
General input/output error
After clicking the two error messages closed, the program works normally. I have not noticed any part of any module which does not function properly. I have installed new extensions, used previously installed extensions, opened old and created new documents, saved, printed documents, etc. Is there some pointer in the Windows Registry or my user folder from a previous installation that needs to be corrected, or are these error messages generated solely by the new installation? More importantly, how do I correct the problem?

Tony
Last edited by Spurred_On on Tue Mar 17, 2009 4:18 pm, edited 1 time in total.
OOo 3.1.0 using Ms Windows XP Pro and Fedora Linux; Firefox browser on both OSs
Hagar Delest

Re: scrit.xlb and dialog.xlb general error

Post by Hagar Delest »

Same as that one it seems: [Solved] script.xlb and dialog.xlb error.
See also that one: [Solved] Error when starting OpenOffice 2.3.

You can also reset your OOo user profile. But during the welcome process, don't transfer your personal data if you had 2.x version before, former configuration files might corrupt the new profile.

Thanks to add '[Solved]' at beginning of your first post title (edit button) if your issue has been fixed.
LibreOffice 7.6.2.1 on Xubuntu 23.10 and 7.6.4.1 portable on Windows 10
Spurred_On

Post by Spurred_On »

Howdy Hagar. I had done a search before I posted, but didn't read the two posts you referred me to because they were for 2.x versions of OOo. Replacing the script.xlb and script.xlc plus the dialog.xlb and dialog.xlc files in my user basic and Standard folders with the same files from the new program installation basic and Standard folders resolved the issue. Thanks for your help. I'll keep this solution for the next time I install an update of OOo.
OOo 3.1.0 using Ms Windows XP Pro and Fedora Linux; Firefox browser on both OSs
Hagar Delest

Post by Hagar Delest »

Spurred_On wrote:I'll keep this solution for the next time I install an update of OOo.
Well, I've never experienced that and there is not so many threads about that here neither. So it may be a corner case.
LibreOffice 7.6.2.1 on Xubuntu 23.10 and 7.6.4.1 portable on Windows 10
donovan2419
Banned

script.xlb and dialog.xlb general error is NOT solved yet!

Post by donovan2419 »

How can the programmers allow such arcane errors to persist for years, frustrating user and losing their data? Libre apparently copied the bad code, since it does it too. Thousands of people get this error and lose data, yet the error persists.

Pointing people to various old links is a huge disservice, since the new programs don't work the same way. Your fixes are off the cuff, and cause more problems that they fix. I renamed the user folder, and now it takes minutes to do anything, and I still lost the changes I made to my file. What "fix" do you suggest now? A couple more "fixes" and the program will be irretrievable.

So thanks for nothing.

Programmers don't seem to understand that we don't want to do program fixes, we want to use the program and have it never ever lose our data. How can that be so hard? Or is that code so old no one dare mess with it? Add a program that fixes this problem automatically, it can't be that hard.

Please don't link me to some 2009 page, or grab the handiest "solution" you can make up at the moment. Don't tell me to re install, because if I do that, I will install A different editor, not open office.

Your volunteer efforts are wasted if you end up with unusable programs except for a few programmers.

really disappointing.
OpenOffice 4.1 on Windows xp
marty

Re: [Solved] script.xlb and dialog.xlb general error

Post by marty »

Now that the topic has been updated, I can say the same problem came up recently with NeoOffice on my Mac. I thought it was the latest patch that did it, but that turned out not to be the case.

I deleted the app and the associated preference and application support entries (actually, I moved them to a USB stick, which I ejected and unplugged). Then I reinstalled the app from a fresh download, and installed patches consecutively from downloads I had saved, restarting the computer each time.

I now have a fully updated and fully working app with no error messages. I don't know what caused the error, but a complete uninstall followed by a fresh install cleared it.

My personal opinion is that if you have OpenOffice, LibreOffice, or NeoOffice, you can't get anything better without paying more (and maybe even if you do pay more).