Comments about the spell check troubleshooting thread

Let us know how we are doing -
Hagar Delest

Comments about the spell check troubleshooting thread

Post by Hagar Delest »

I've noticed that many users don't really read the [Tutorial] Spell check and Language configuration. Therefore, I've made a [Troubleshooting] Spell check in OOo 3.x version based on screenshots and step by step process.

Do you think it's a way to continue (for other topics)? Any comments with the content? I've tried to keep it: on a single page, simple and visual.
LibreOffice 7.6.2.1 on Xubuntu 23.10 and 7.6.4.1 portable on Windows 10
acknak

Re: Comments about the spell check troubleshouting thread

Post by acknak »

Yes! That looks great!

Just a couple of nits:
s/troubleshouting/troubleshooting/ ;-)

I think the example for part #5 (http://user.services.openoffice.org/en/ ... 512#p76376) may be confusing. You use a custom style and the style name, English, is shown in the style box in the formatting toolbar. This may suggest that the style box is showing the paragraph language setting rather than the style name. I think the language is always shown in the status bar, as you point out in the following section, so that's where I would focus in the tutorial.

It may not be necessary to have a section dealing with the language setting in a custom style: if you explain how to debug the built-in styles, I think most people who use custom styles will be able to transfer the concepts on their own.

I would put the title and yes/no question at the top of each section, and make the post title the same as the large title. The large bold text and the red/blue colors draw your eye to that first anyway, then it's a little confusing/distracting to read upwards to see the explanatory text.

I wonder if it might be helpful to attach a sample document at the top that people could test their installation with. If that does not work, then their install is broken. If that works and their document does not, then there's something wrong with their document. The sample could include passages in each of the standard languages, just for completeness.

Here's one (sorry, even Google's French and Spanish is far better than mine):
Attachments
Spellcheck_samples.odt
(9.53 KiB) Downloaded 820 times
AOO4/LO5 • Linux • Fedora 23
Hagar Delest

Re: Comments about the spell check troubleshooting thread

Post by Hagar Delest »

Thanks for the feedback!

I've implemented all your remarks. In the test file, I've added a sentence that should defeat the 3 spell checkers. If there is no wavy lines, it means that the related dic is not installed. I've kept it at the end, can be moved to top if needed.
floris v
Volunteer

Post by floris v »

Well done! :mrgreen:
OpenOffice 4.1.11 on Ubuntu; LibreOffice 6.4 on Linux Mint, LibreOffice 7.6.2.1 on Ubuntu
If your problem has been solved or your question has been answered, please edit the first post in this thread and add [Solved] to the title bar.
Nederlandstalig forum
TheGurkha
Volunteer

Post by TheGurkha »

Awesome job.
Ubuntu 14.10 Utopic Unicorn, LibreOffice Version: 4.3.3.2
Gurkha Welfare Trust
floris v
Volunteer

Post by floris v »

I suggest that we let this sink in for a bit; if the number of questions about the spelling problems goes down a lot, you (or somebody else) could spend time on similar topics for other problems, but if it's ignored a lot, it's not worth the trouble.
OpenOffice 4.1.11 on Ubuntu; LibreOffice 6.4 on Linux Mint, LibreOffice 7.6.2.1 on Ubuntu
If your problem has been solved or your question has been answered, please edit the first post in this thread and add [Solved] to the title bar.
Nederlandstalig forum
magedogtag

Post by magedogtag »

I had a problem with multiple language formats on a resume template that i downloaded. as it turned out, all the troubleshooting information was unnecessary except the box at the bottom which showed what language a specific word area was formatted to. to set the whole document right, after doing an entire "clear formatting" which did not work, i simply highlighted the whole document, right clicked on the language box at the bottom which said "multiple languages", clicked the "set language for paragraph", clicked English (usa) and it worked completely. the spell checker no longer switched from English to Spanish in those areas that were formerly formatted in Spanish.
Matt
OpenOffice 3.1 on Windows Vista 64
lgusaas
Volunteer

Post by lgusaas »

It looks good except in #2 which lists "Tools>Options>Languages Settings>Languages".
On Macs it is "OpenOffice.org>preferences>Languages Settings>Languages". That is the only Mac specific difference that I noticed.
Larry I. Gusaas
Moose Jaw, SK Canada
"An artist is never ahead of his time but most people are far behind theirs." Edgard Varese
Apache OpenOffice 4.1.14 — MacBook Air (M1)—macOS Ver.13.5 Ventura
Hagar Delest

Post by Hagar Delest »

magedogtag wrote:to set the whole document right, after doing an entire "clear formatting" which did not work, i simply highlighted the whole document, right clicked on the language box at the bottom which said "multiple languages", clicked the "set language for paragraph", clicked English (usa) and it worked completely.
Simple indeed but not robust.
magedogtag wrote:all the troubleshooting information was unnecessary except the box at the bottom
Hopefully, other users might need the rest of the topic.
lgusaas wrote:On Macs it is "OpenOffice.org>preferences>Languages Settings>Languages".
Fixed, thanks.
generousgem

Post by generousgem »

:bravo: :super: I am so glad I finally found this forum! Many kudos on this 'fix' also as I thought I was going to have to uninstall & re-install :roll:
I had been bragging about OO.o to several people I know and one in particular who is a beginning author and has asked me to transcribe his manuscripts. When I initially spoke with him about it, I had mentioned the auto spell-check: imagine my :oops: when I could not demonstrate that to him in person ... lol At least now I can continue typing in the manuscript (and much faster because I will not have to go back & forth between the document & dictionary.com to check on spelling ... lol) and hopefully get it finished by the weekend :)
Thank you so much for your hard work but do you have any idea if this is going to be the protocol with future updates also? I mean most people presume the option is there automatically seeing as this is a word processing program ...
Anyway - kudos & keep up the awesome work!
gem
OpenOffice 3.1.1 on Windows Vista
Hagar Delest

Post by Hagar Delest »

generousgem wrote:do you have any idea if this is going to be the protocol with future updates also? I mean most people presume the option is there automatically seeing as this is a word processing program ...
What do you mean exactly? the spell check is automatically activated by default.
Bieffe

Post by Bieffe »

I want to Use UK English in all my text docs.

Followed spell check guide to end, and all was correct. Spell check worked fine, also exited OO, and quickstarter, but settings are "forgotten" when next opening new text document.

Font language is back to NONE, and Tools, options, language settings, default language is back to German, althought User, Local, and currency are set to UK.

Any further suggestions?
open office 3.1 on windows 7
Robert Tucker
Volunteer

Post by Robert Tucker »

Bieffe wrote:I want to Use UK English in all my text docs...Font language is back to NONE, and Tools, options, language settings, default language is back to German, althought User, Local, and currency are set to UK.

Any further suggestions?
Set a blank UK English document as your default template.
LibreOffice 7.x.x on Arch and Fedora.
Hagar Delest

Post by Hagar Delest »

Do you create the new documents from right click in the Explorer? If so, see the first link, and then the end of the first post.
blackburn_place

Re: [Tutorial] Spell check and Language configuration

Post by blackburn_place »

OMG....

"Finally"

Thanks, thanks, thanks, thanks.

My ol lady is a bludgeon'r about spelling like so many others who seem to be stuck on perfection.

Thanks again... for what ever the difference it makes to me

But this Info was on point!
openoffice 3.2.0, windows home vista
magedogtag

Post by magedogtag »

Hagar, i agree with you that the rest of the troubleshooting stuff hopefully would help other people. I was simply stating, though not worded well enough to make it clear apparently, that it was one box that fixed my problem. and you did mention that it is not robust, which i agree. until i saved it correctly (and i'm not sure what i mean about that since i can't remember exactly what was going on at the time) but i haven't had a problem since. agian, that may be just me, but it might work for someone else so i thought i'd put the idea out there.

thanks for the replies and all my best to you and yours.

Matt
Matt
OpenOffice 3.1 on Windows Vista 64
jecjackal

Post by jecjackal »

I followed this guide and it worked but for only one document. I am creating documents through the windows explorer context menu. Is there any way to make the language preferences stick for all new documents.

Thanks,

Jec
OpenOffice 3.2 on Windows 7
Hagar Delest

Post by Hagar Delest »

jecjackal wrote:I am creating documents through the windows explorer context menu. Is there any way to make the language preferences stick for all new documents.
Then see the corner case #2 in the 2nd post of the main tutorial.
Smokr

Re: [Troubleshooting] Spell check in OOo 3.x

Post by Smokr »

Wow, thanks! Spent an entire day mucking about before giving up and doing a Google for "open office spell check not working" then finding this thread.
Mucho thankos!
OpenOffice 3.2.1 on Windows XPPro
jrg1980

Post by jrg1980 »

Thank you very much!!!!!!!

That took care of the problems!!

JRG
openoffice3.2.1 on windows vista
G.J.A

Post by G.J.A »

Took me a long time but finally due to your guidance I made it
Tried many different things,maybe I was doing something wrong..Anyway,this one worked!
Thank you very much!
OpenOffice 3.2 on Windows XP
AlaricWood

Post by AlaricWood »

Sounds fine but on OOo 3.2.1. on Debian Squeeze clicking on extension manager takes me to a LibreOffice web page which says the page doesn't exist. The less I see of LibreOfice the better I will be pleased.

Alaric Wood
Mandriva Linux version 1010.0. Mandriva's version of OOO 3.1.1 I have also downloaded and installed the next version ?3.2? with the same results
Hagar Delest

Post by Hagar Delest »

Then check the http://extensions.services.openoffice.org/dictionaries page given in the tutorial here.
Ubuntu has switched to LibO. If you want to keep OOo, see [Ubuntu] Installing OOo on Debian and Co.
jasfeeney

Post by jasfeeney »

Thanks for help , all ok
James
OpenOffice 3.1 on Windows Vista
jmrathbun

Post by jmrathbun »

I found that the spell check settings work fine as long as I use soffice.exe to start a new document. If I simply right-click : New : OpenDocument Text on my desktop, the new document reverts to German language with no spell checking. I can fix that individual document's properties in half-a-minute, but each new instance is the same. Any way to fix this bug?
OO 4.1 on Windows 7 Home Premium SP1
robleyd

Post by robleyd »

You have already started a topic about this issue in this post

Please don't ask the same question in several places. I believe your question is actually related to the way opening a new document by right click is handled - someone with more knowledge will hopefully answerhas already answered in your other topic.
Cheers
David
OS - Slackware 15 64 bit
Apache OpenOffice 4.1.15
LibreOffice 24.2.1.2; SlackBuild for 24.2.1 by Eric Hameleers