[Solved] Save to network computers

Issues with installing under all GNU/Linux Distributions
Explosive[Rus]

[Solved] Save to network computers

Post by Explosive[Rus] »

I wondering, why OpenOffice which I download from site, have no option to save documents to network computers :roll:
In same time, OpenOffice which I get on DVD with Ubuntu or Suse linux, have option to save to computers in network.
DrewJensen
Volunteer

Re: Save to network computers

Post by DrewJensen »

The versions of OpenOffice.org that are distributed with versions of Linux are not built with the exact source files as those found at the OpenOffice.org web site. FOSS at work here. Each distributor is free to make whatever changes they like - Sun makes some changes for StarOffice, IBM uses a mix of OOo 1.x and adds to it for Symphony, and each of the Linux platforms could change the program.
Former member of The Document Foundation
Former member of Apache OpenOffice PMC
LibreOffice on Ubuntu 18.04
probe1
Volunteer

Post by probe1 »

I can load/save a document with OOo from/on a web server typing http:// or ftp://server/path/document in file open or file save dialogue.

Were you looking for that?
Cheers
Winfried

DateTime2 extension: insert date, time or timestamp, formatted to your needs
Explosive[Rus]

Post by Explosive[Rus] »

thx for replys

I just don't understand, why OOo developers don't include whis option by default ? I read in Wiki...mount network drive to save documents to computers in network... but if I have many computers?
Most of Windows programs can save to network without any headache. But something strange in Linux... for example Opera and FireFox (in linux)can't save to network computers too. That is very strange for me :roll:
Last edited by Explosive[Rus] on Mon Nov 26, 2007 11:45 am, edited 1 time in total.
Explosive[Rus]

Post by Explosive[Rus] »

probe1 wrote:I can load/save a document with OOo from/on a web server typing http:// or ftp://server/path/document in file open or file save dialogue.

Were you looking for that?
When I press in main menu File > Save as .. I get window. It show me list of my local drives and forders and it also show "other places". When I press "Other places" it show "Network servers"... it mean computers in my LAN. But OO from site have no "other places", only local drives and folders.
probe1
Volunteer

Post by probe1 »

Explosive[Rus] wrote:When I press in main menu File > Save as .. I get window.
This window's outcome is operating system dependend - if you un-check Tools>OpenOffice.org>General>"Open/Save dialogues Use OpenOffice.org dialogues" only
Then -AFAIK- the dialogue from the operating system is used. Have you unchecked the option?
Cheers
Winfried

DateTime2 extension: insert date, time or timestamp, formatted to your needs
koborn

Post by koborn »

Not sure if I'm suffering from the same problem, but it sounds like it - and the answer on the previous post doesn't make any sense:

>>if you un-check Tools>OpenOffice.org>General>"Open/Save dialogues Use OpenOffice.org dialogues"

- I'm running OO 2.3.0 under MacOS 10.5. There is no "Open/Save dialogues----" item under Tools>Options>OpenOffice.org>General - or anywhere else I can find.

I have a network drive served by Ubuntu Linux using Samba (got Windows boxes that need to see it as well), and I can't make OO see it - the native Mac applications have no problem, as OSx Finder lets me add the SMB drive as a "save to" item on the sidebar, but OO being an X app doesn't take any notice.

Surely there's a way to do this: older Windows versions of OO didn't have the problem!
DrewJensen
Volunteer

Post by DrewJensen »

Have you tried a search against the Issues database at OpenOffice to see if this is a bug already reported for the OS?

It sort of sounds like one.
Former member of The Document Foundation
Former member of Apache OpenOffice PMC
LibreOffice on Ubuntu 18.04
koborn

Post by koborn »

Nope, nothing in Issues as far as I can see!
Explosive[Rus]

Post by Explosive[Rus] »

probe1 wrote: This window's outcome is operating system dependend - if you un-check Tools>OpenOffice.org>General>"Open/Save dialogues Use OpenOffice.org dialogues" only
Then -AFAIK- the dialogue from the operating system is used. Have you unchecked the option?
thx!!! that is what I need :P