trying to find a saved impress file

Discuss the presentation application
lynette

trying to find a saved impress file

Post by lynette »

My daughter has been working on an impress presentation for school. In the process her classmate opened the presentation fron internet explorer aol webmail. Not realizing that the document they were working on was still on the web mail when fiished (after 6y more hours) they hit save thinking it was saved in their document file. They cannot locate the file now. Can anyone tell me where in the computer impress opened in this fashion may be stored? We already searched the temporary internet files to no avail as well as a general search for all files with the extension .ppt. Thank you!
TerryE
Volunteer

Re: trying to find a saved impress file

Post by TerryE »

You should really read the Survival Guide for the forum. This give basic guidance on how to look for answers, and how to frame you questions to help us to help you. I assume that you are on XP and some webmail package such as hotmail. What browser are you using? I ask this because different browsers use different strategies for storing files.

However the first thing to do is a sledge hammer: do a Start->Search->All Files or Folders
File Name: *.odp;*.ppt
When was it modified: last 24 hrs
Advanced Options:search hidden files or subfolders, search subfolders
All Local Hard Drives
and try that. It will take a ouple of mins.

Normally you can find file through the Files->Recent Documents selection, but the sledge hammer should work
Ubuntu 11.04-x64 + LibreOffice 3 and MS free except the boss's Notebook which runs XP + OOo 3.3.
lynette

Post by lynette »

we did try that. the bowser it was opened in was internet explorer; the web package was aol.com andthe OS is XP. Can you think of anything else that might help?
lynette

Post by lynette »

ok, I think I may have my answer but it is not a good one. I believe the girls thought they were "saving" the document they opened in their webmail...but I believe that pressing the "save" icon would not have worked because the button is inactive on impress when an impress file is a temporary internet file and the girls would not have been alerted to this. I am correct that it is hopeless? Is there a way to find a file that has been modified but not saved? :(
r4zoli
Volunteer

Post by r4zoli »

Try to find in: Documents and Settings/<user>/Local Settings/Temp/ or WINDOWS/Temp
Another starting point File>Last documents.... you hopefully find file name and storage.
AOO 4.0 and LibO 4 on Win 8
Hungarian forum co-admin