[Solved] Saving data base table field formats

Discuss the database features
hmj1942

[Solved] Saving data base table field formats

Post by hmj1942 »

I added four new fields to a table and set the "required entry" to "NO" and the "length" to "20" and clicked save. After existing and reopening the database the "required entry" setting are "YES" and the "length" Is "0". When I attemp to change them back to "NO" and "20", respectively and click save. I get a message that the field cannot be changed and asked "should the column be deleted and a new format appended?" Also "Error Code: -2147217887 Multiple-step OLE DB operation generated errors. Check each OLE DB status value, if available. No work was done." I have no idea what is happening or how to check each OLE DB status value. Any help will be greatly appreciated.
Last edited by hmj1942 on Sat Feb 07, 2009 9:43 pm, edited 1 time in total.
OOo 3.0.X on Ms Windows XP
Villeroy
Volunteer

Re: saving data base table field formats

Post by Villeroy »

The OLE DB is the type of database you are using. No, I do not mean Base. You are connected to some other database engine, which reports this error. See status bar and menu:Edit>Database>Properties...
Please, do yourself a favour: Never use Base to manipulate the structure of a 3rd-party database, even if Base offers you to do so.
Always use a tool which has been designed for the respective database engine.
Then you can use Base to work with the content of that database. Base is a so called "frontend" to connect with several types of databases, pull data into ODF-documents and write back some data through input forms (if the source allows write-access to frontends).
Please, edit this topic's initial post and add "[Solved]" to the subject line if your problem has been solved.
Ubuntu 18.04 with LibreOffice 6.0, latest OpenOffice and LibreOffice
hmj1942

Re: Saving data base table field formats

Post by hmj1942 »

Thank you very much for your response. The data base that I am connected is MSAccess. Is there a way that I can copy the data from the MSAccess table to an Base table so that I can manipulate it in Base?
Villeroy
Volunteer

Post by Villeroy »

See this recent thread where I tried to outline the thing you want and how you can get it: http://user.services.openoffice.org/en/ ... 13&t=14962
Please, edit this topic's initial post and add "[Solved]" to the subject line if your problem has been solved.
Ubuntu 18.04 with LibreOffice 6.0, latest OpenOffice and LibreOffice
r4zoli
Volunteer

Post by r4zoli »

Is there a way that I can copy the data from the MSAccess table to an Base table so that I can manipulate it in Base?
http://user.services.openoffice.org/en/ ... 694#p54739
AOO 4.0 and LibO 4 on Win 8
Hungarian forum co-admin
hmj1942

Post by hmj1942 »

Thank you very much. The thread that you referenced solved my problem.