Calc > Chart is locked?

Let us know how we are doing -
acknak

Calc > Chart is locked?

Post by acknak »

It seems the "Chart" sub-forum will not accept any threads. Is that on purpose?

The charting module is not limited to Calc, should it be alongside the other modules?

Do we want to actively move threads to more appropriate forums, e.g. from the "Beginner" forum? I was looking at this one: http://user.services.openoffice.org/en/ ... ?f=5&t=160 but I couldn't move it into the Calc > Chart forum.
AOO4/LO5 • Linux • Fedora 23
DrewJensen
Volunteer

Re: Calc > Chart is locked?

Post by DrewJensen »

No it is not intended to be locked - it may have been something I unintentionally did yesterday

I'll take a quick look

EDIT

Just checked, it seems to be fine. I entered a test post and then deleted it without any problems.
Former member of The Document Foundation
Former member of Apache OpenOffice PMC
LibreOffice on Ubuntu 18.04
acknak

Post by acknak »

Hmm, strange. When I displayed the sub-forum, it had no "NEWTOPIC" button at all. When I tried to move the thread, the destination forum drop-down showed Calc > Chart as grayed out (like the "...Guide" forums) and I couldn't select it.

Now the thread I wanted to move is there and all looks good.

I wonder what was up? Oh well, as long as it's working now.

Thanks for having a look.
DrewJensen
Volunteer

Post by DrewJensen »

I have seen at least one other hiccup like this to date...so far it isn't anything that worries me overly, but if someone does notice something by all means post something about it. If there is a problem I'd like to try and address it sooner, while it is intermittent rather then wait till it is catastrophic..

I've started a list for myself of 'single time events', I'll add this to it..just to start looking for any trends.
Hagar Delest

Post by Hagar Delest »

acknak wrote:Now the thread I wanted to move is there and all looks good.

I wonder what was up? Oh well, as long as it's working now.
:D
I unlocked the Chart forum few minutes ago !!! (exact time should be in the change log if you want to check Drew). I wanted to move the post from someone to the Chart forum and could not. So I logged as admin and changed the permissions.
LibreOffice 7.6.2.1 on Xubuntu 23.10 and 7.6.4.1 portable on Windows 10
DrewJensen
Volunteer

Post by DrewJensen »

OK - strike that from the list of unexplained events then..

Change of subject ---while you two are here

You should have gotten my email about the test site update ( language packs ) - give it a try if you speak, oh Francais perhaps.

the mod I am installing now is for sending a welcome private message on registration.

Also, I received a suggested replacement graphic for the header...I'm going to put it up on the test site...about 10 minutes from now...it is not quite right..meaning I would need to alter the theme just a bit to make it merge in..but I would like any thoughts on the over all look...pro or con..

Thanks
Hagar Delest

Post by Hagar Delest »

DrewJensen wrote:Also, I received a suggested replacement graphic for the header...I'm going to put it up on the test site
I see it on the regular forum and I prefer it much more than the former one.
Yes, I know about the language pack, it's on the to do list this evening but have had an Ubuntu freeze few minutes ago (second one in 18 months).
 Edit:  I was talking about the pic in the address bar of the web browser. I just saw the new header and my feelings are mixed. I like the blue background and the black/blue font of the current header, I like the 2 graphics of the new header. But in the new header, the OOo area looks too cold, it lacks some background (or is it the merge thing you're talking about ?). 
Hagar Delest

Post by Hagar Delest »

OK, tested the language pack and that's clear it's far more easy (especially with the administration feature I guess). It could be a real advantage I guess for all the users who speak enough English to post a question but not enough to understand all the features of the user control panel.
acknak

Post by acknak »

Also, I received a suggested replacement graphic ... I would like any thoughts on the over all look...pro or con..
Nice!

The only thing I would suggest is if it can be laid on top of the blue bar that goes all the way across the top the the active site. That big colored bar is necessary to tie the header all together.

I see that the new graphic has a white background. I can't quite picture what that will do over the blue bar. It may need some tweaking.

As for language packs, will we encourage people to post in English, even if the UI is in another language? Providing a UI localization may suggest that they can post in say, Arabic, but then no response comes back. I don't mind having posts I can't read, but it doesn't seem very friendly to just let them be ignored; not to mention that I may not recognize spam in Arabic!
Hagar Delest

Post by Hagar Delest »

acknak wrote:As for language packs, will we encourage people to post in English, even if the UI is in another language?
Ah, I had that question in mind also. But as it had been discussed on the former forum IIRC, for me, it's clear (and that should be highlighted somewhere when the user wants to change his language) that the posting should be only in English, else it will become a real mess.
DrewJensen
Volunteer

Post by DrewJensen »

I would sure not be in favor of posts in any language other then English for the forum located at
en/forum

However as Hagar touched on, it may be easier for some if the basic navigation capabilities where in their native language - also, the Forum FAQ page is also translated with those language packs.

In fact for Arabic and Hebrew the whole UI flips so that everything is right to left.. even though the text in the posts stays in English...it is quite odd looking to my western eye..

Anyway - that is one of the reasons for wanting to get this 'Message upon registering modification' in and working so that we can pass along this type of information.
acknak

Post by acknak »

Sounds great.
Anyway - that is one of the reasons for wanting to get this 'Message upon registering modification' in and working so that we can pass along this type of information.
Can I suggest that we have a "noob orientation" page (or a thread), and that the message link to that page? That way we have a single place for basic instructions and policies, that anyone can access (or link to) at any time.
Hagar Delest

Post by Hagar Delest »

acknak wrote:Can I suggest that we have a "noob orientation" page (or a thread), and that the message link to that page?
Right, we lack a thread for basic rules (first search the forum, the [Solved] tag, ...).
DrewJensen
Volunteer

Post by DrewJensen »

Well, anyone want to take a stab writing a first draft ...
Hagar Delest

Post by Hagar Delest »

Here is a first shot : Basic rules of the forum. Feel free to modify it, my English may have some flaws and it's 1:07 am here so I think it's bed time.
acknak

Post by acknak »

Hagar, that's a great start. Thanks!

I took yours and tweaked it a bit, mainly to change the layout so that each one has a heading.

I don't know if we are going to get HTML in posts, or what that will allow as far as formatting, so I just did it as an .odt.

This is just a draft of course, any changes, or total re-working is welcome.
Attachments
UCF_basic_rules.odt
Basic rules draft
(11.56 KiB) Downloaded 514 times
Hagar Delest

Post by Hagar Delest »

The thread has been updated and modified, we'll be able to link the rules separately that way. And I've added some items.