How to copy data only to empty cells

Discuss the spreadsheet application
Hereticus

How to copy data only to empty cells

Post by Hereticus »

Please, anyone could explain to me how to past a formula only into empty cells within a column?
I mean, with Excel I simply apply filter (empty) then copy formula (or data) to the whole (blank) column, and this does not overcopy other cells (the hidden not-empty cells).

If I try to do the same with Openoffice Calc with the same method all hidden not-empty cells are affected.

I only want to copy inside empty cells, skipping the other ones...

Any idea?

Thanks
TerryE
Volunteer

Re: How to copy data only to empty cells

Post by TerryE »

Well step one is to read the survival guide and this tell you to search for existing solutions. Try a search for "empty cells". You will see that one solution is to turn the problem on its head.

Note that Calc doesn't allow you to paste into multiple selection ranges anyway. The only alternative would be to write a macro to (say) copy the cotents of the top LH cell into any blank cells in the range.
Ubuntu 11.04-x64 + LibreOffice 3 and MS free except the boss's Notebook which runs XP + OOo 3.3.
Hereticus

Post by Hereticus »

Onestly, the workaround that I have found with the search is simply... impracticable... too much time for a so simple thing...
I hope that filters will be improved in future releases, or at least that in the copy function there will be an option to skip "not-empty cells"
Is there a place to suggest these things to programmers?

Thank you for your reply

Aldo
Villeroy
Volunteer

Post by Villeroy »

You can register at qa.openoffice.org and vote for issue 33851 http://qa.openoffice.org/issues/show_bug.cgi?id=33851
Meanwhile you may try this set of macros: http://sourceforge.net/project/showfile ... _id=188206
Contrary to Excel they preserve all kinds of non-visible cells (filtered and hidden) to be overwritten by fill-operation to any direction. You may replace the original menu items Edit>Fill>Down|Right|Up|Left with the first set of macros. With visible cells alone the macros do just the same as the original commands.
Please, edit this topic's initial post and add "[Solved]" to the subject line if your problem has been solved.
Ubuntu 18.04 with LibreOffice 6.0, latest OpenOffice and LibreOffice