A lighter version of OpenOffice please

Talk about anything at all....
turfman

A lighter version of OpenOffice please

Post by turfman »

Hi everyone
I was wondering if there are any lite versions of open office available with less bloat that would run quicker, I have two gig of ram and even with java off its still 12-15 seconds or longer sometimes to open doc's , speadsheets etc. I have used
ashampoo office(softmaker) and ability and they are both very light footprint and quick to work,but I am used to open office and enjoy using it if only it was quicker, any ideas?
TerryE
Volunteer

Re: a lighter version of open office please

Post by TerryE »

Sorry but you should read the survival guide. If you did so you would see that this is a topic which regularly comes up and add your view to an exist post on this. It takes about 10 seconds on my laptop to open the OASIS ODF spec (718 pages) from a cold start (no Soffice processes running) and 6 seconds if soffice is already running. And that is with Java enabled.

Read the other posts and its a csae of grin and bare it.
Ubuntu 11.04-x64 + LibreOffice 3 and MS free except the boss's Notebook which runs XP + OOo 3.3.
Hagar Delest

Post by Hagar Delest »

There is already a thread about that here : I suggest that OOo team make a simpler version of OOo.

Do you use native ODF format or MS Office format ? For the latter, note that there is an import operation that could be longer than with the former.
LibreOffice 7.6.2.1 on Xubuntu 23.10 and 7.6.4.1 portable on Windows 10
turfman

Post by turfman »

Sorry guys, I feel a bit silly now as I didn't do a search,sorry for time wastin' .
friekman

Post by friekman »

Try:

Your Office Suite at: http://go-oo.org/
OOo 2.4.X on Ms Windows XP + Linux
AndrewZ
Volunteer

Re: A lighter version of open office please

Post by AndrewZ »

Go-oo makes claims, but does it live up to them? This benchmark compares four editions/variants of OpenOffice.org 2.4.1: "The Fastest OpenOffice.org"
* Did you solve your problem? Do others a favor: Post the solution
* Visit OpenOffice.org Ninja (blog) and OpenOffice.org Ninja Wiki for news, previews, troubleshooting, etc.
OOo 3.0.X on Fedora 9 + XP