Door Hanger Templates?

Using them, Making them, Finding them
evodawg

Door Hanger Templates?

Post by evodawg »

Not sure any exist. But if not how would you split the page or window and make each active to receive text?Most door hangers are made up of either 2 or 3 hangers per page... 8.5 x 11 would give you 2 long hangers. I hope I made this clear, not sure I used the right terms and lingo.

Thanks for any help,
Rich

Linux user.
wurzel
Volunteer

Re: Door Hanger Templates?

Post by wurzel »

What exactly do you mean by doorhanger, its not an expression I'm familiar with ?

Alex
acknak

Post by acknak »

There are tons of them online; some have downloadable blanks, some you can create a PDF online and print that.

You can certainly do it in OOo, but it hardly seems worth bothering with when there are so many free (or semi-free) out there.
AOO4/LO5 • Linux • Fedora 23
foxcole
Volunteer

Post by foxcole »

wurzel wrote:What exactly do you mean by doorhanger, its not an expression I'm familiar with ?
If I understand correctly, a door hanger refers to a card that is designed to hang on the doorknob of a residence, and is usually printed with advertising or political messages. Templates might be set up for multiple door hangers per page or for custom page sizes, and be set up to print on both sides of the card.

I'm pretty sure that's what evodawg is referring to. Does that help?
Cheers!
---Fox

OOo 3.2.0 Portable, Windows 7 Home Premium 64-bit
evodawg

Post by evodawg »

foxcole wrote:
wurzel wrote:What exactly do you mean by doorhanger, its not an expression I'm familiar with ?
If I understand correctly, a door hanger refers to a card that is designed to hang on the doorknob of a residence, and is usually printed with advertising or political messages. Templates might be set up for multiple door hangers per page or for custom page sizes, and be set up to print on both sides of the card.

I'm pretty sure that's what evodawg is referring to. Does that help?
That's exactly what I'm talking about. But interested only printing one side. I'm just wondering how you split your page or window into 2 equal panels, so you can place 2 door hangers with the same text on one page. Then printing that page with 2 complete door hangers 4 1/4" x 11" each hanger.

Thanks fo the replies!
acknak

Post by acknak »

There are a number of ways to go about it. One way, perhaps the best way if you always want to have the exact same content on both sides of the page, is to design the Writer page to be only one hanger, then when you print, print two copies on one page. That means that the content is never out of sync, but not all printer drivers can do that.

Here's a sample that uses two frames to make the two hangers on one page:
Door_hanger.odt
(10.08 KiB) Downloaded 2334 times
I used variable fields for the two text lines, so you can double-click the gray fields in the left hanger, change the text, and the same text will appear automatically on the right as well.
evodawg

Post by evodawg »

That's what I needed. Once I install the text I need I'll try to print.

Thanks again,
Rich
foxcole
Volunteer

Post by foxcole »

evodawg wrote:That's what I needed. Once I install the text I need I'll try to print.
Just so you're aware, the "tons" of templates to be found online, as noted by acknak, may be Word templates but you can typically also use them in Writer with good results. Don't be afraid to try Word files if you find them. He's right, there are tons of 'em online... just try Google with the words "door hanger template." Why ask to reinvent the wheel?
Cheers!
---Fox

evodawg

Post by evodawg »

I did google and most if not all are .exe files which Linux has a hard time with. I did try some PDF's and I only have adobe reader which does not give you the options to add text. I did look in OO for door hanger templates and found none. So I did research this before posting here. If you noticed, I didn't necessarily wanted someone to build a template for me. I just wanted to know how to add text to 2 different panels. But appreciate the time spent for the download.

Thanks again.
acknak

Post by acknak »

I found at least a couple that allow you to enter your text in a web form, choose a design, and then download a PDF. They seemed to be commercial sites, so maybe the PDF was watermarked or something, to encourage you to buy something, but I assumed that they make money by offering to print the hangers and ship them to you. But if you want to download and print it yourself, why not?
I didn't necessarily wanted someone to build a template for me. I just wanted to know how to add text to 2 different panels.
Believe me, it's easier to make a simple example than it is to write a recipe. ;-)

If you like/don't like the one I attached, and have specific questions about how to do it, or how to do it differently, then just ask. General questions like "how do I put text in two different panels?" simply take too long (for me anyway) to answer in enough detail to be very useful.
evodawg

Post by evodawg »

acknak wrote: If you like/don't like the one I attached, and have specific questions about how to do it, or how to do it differently, then just ask. General questions like "how do I put text in two different panels?" simply take too long (for me anyway) to answer in enough detail to be very useful.
I like the one you attached, its perfect. I can also see how you made it, so that will help in future references. Wondering if there is a tutorial available on what you did or comes close to explaining what you did.

Thanks again,
Rich

Linux user
acknak

Post by acknak »

The core of it is just: Insert > Frame

Frames can contain almost any kind of formatted text and they can be placed anywhere on a page, so that makes a fairly simple way to get the layout you wanted.

After that, it was all adjusting the page margins (Format > Page > Page) and the frame properties (click on the frame border; see the green selection handles, then Format > Frame) to get the widths/positions set up. You can see a summary of the frame properties on the "Organizer" tab; most of them are not critical here.

The circle is just a drawing object (View > Toolbars > Drawing), anchored to the frame. The angled text is another drawing object: they're easier to put in arbitrary positions and orientations.

The top line paragraph has a large space above (Format > Paragraph > Indents & Spacing > Above paragraph) to make room for the circle.

Not much of a tutorial but maybe it will help get you started, or to find tutorials for the sub-tasks.
evodawg

Post by evodawg »

Thanks again, you have been more than helpful. What you have wrote above has been saved. They're times when templates are helpful but its even better to know how they are made so you can set them up for your own applications. And that's kind of what I was looking for. If I wanted everything done for me I would be using Windblows. :P

Again Thanks,
Rich
Linux user
foxcole
Volunteer

Post by foxcole »

evodawg wrote:They're times when templates are helpful but its even better to know how they are made so you can set them up for your own applications.
Too true! Especially because the templates other people put together often don't look how you'd like them to look.

Have you found the Writer Guide and the other OOo user guides? See the links in my sig line below. In the link to the PDF versions, you'll find a Getting Started Guide that covers OOo modules in general, a Migration Guide aimed at Microsoft Office users, and guides for all the OOo modules except Base. (Not sure why that is, but I also haven't found the need to use Base yet.) These are well laid out and written in such a way that they serve as both tutorial and reference guides. You can find most of what you'll need to know, until you become more advanced... or hit a bug of some sort...
evodawg wrote:If I wanted everything done for me I would be using Windblows. :P
I apologize. I get the feeling I may have offended you a little about reinventing the wheel. That was certainly not my intention.
Cheers!
---Fox

evodawg

Post by evodawg »

evodawg wrote:If I wanted everything done for me I would be using Windblows. :P
I apologize. I get the feeling I may have offended you a little about reinventing the wheel. That was certainly not my intention.[/quote]

No it's cool! My skin is pretty tough and it would take much more than that to get me upset! I will take your advice in your sig. and check it out.

Thanks for the heads up and the info.

Rich

Linux user