Strictly enforced writer templates

Using them, Making them, Finding them
bjorn_johansson

Strictly enforced writer templates

Post by bjorn_johansson »

Hi,
I have a general question about the possibilities of templates in writer.

Is it possible to create and enforce a template in OO writer, so that the user cannot (easily) add content that is formatted differently.
I am thinking of the problems of sending around documents by email where several authors add their part. The people I collaborate with usually copy-paste stuff into the documents, but strange formatting usually follow. From this follows also that the template should not permit more than the predefined styles, text sizes and fonts.

I know that advanced tools exist for collaboration on-line, but it is not easy to convince people to use them.

Note that this is not to deal with people doing bad things intentionally, but only the mistakes non-tech people do.

/bjorn
OOo 3.0.X on Ubuntu 8.x
Villeroy
Volunteer

Re: Strictly enforced writer templates

Post by Villeroy »

Visit the templates folder and recursively change the ownership of all files to user root and group root.

Code: Select all

$ cd .openoffice.org/3/user/template/
$ sudo chown -R root:root *
Please, edit this topic's initial post and add "[Solved]" to the subject line if your problem has been solved.
Ubuntu 18.04 with LibreOffice 6.0, latest OpenOffice and LibreOffice
Hagar Delest

Post by Hagar Delest »

But that won't prevent users from creating new styles in documents created from the templates. I don't think there is another solution than 'education'! You can use master documents but the authors still have to use the same styles as those in the templates.
LibreOffice 7.6.2.1 on Xubuntu 23.10 and 7.6.4.1 portable on Windows 10
Villeroy
Volunteer

Post by Villeroy »

Yes, shure. At least you have the secured templates a safe backup of formatting rules. The only reason why people love to use this type of word processor is the liberty to do anything they like in WYSIWYG mode.
I use to write all my "official" letters with Lyx where I'm restricted to fill out a box with the postal address, one for the subject line, one for salutation and a multi-line text box for the letter content. The result is a 100% perfectly formatted letter in German DIN format. I don't even understand how the formatting works.
Please, edit this topic's initial post and add "[Solved]" to the subject line if your problem has been solved.
Ubuntu 18.04 with LibreOffice 6.0, latest OpenOffice and LibreOffice