Base as a stand alone database application..

Discuss the database features
Skyhigh

Base as a stand alone database application..

Post by Skyhigh »

Hi All,
I was wondering if there is a way to compile Base and a use a turnkey program in stand alone "run time" applications.. Eg any Base designed database that I design can I use that as an open source application stand alone.. in a MSWindows stand alone application.. loaded on to a notebook...
Thanks,
Skyhigh
OOo 3.0.X on MS Windows Vista + Ubuntu Desktop ver 8.04
r4zoli
Volunteer

Re: Base as a stand alone database application..

Post by r4zoli »

Now it is not possible to make a standallone Base runtime environment. OOo is a office suite where main common part needs to run when using any application, and Writer additionally needs for forms and reports. Any body can download OOo for free, I see no problems install OOo on every notebooks.
AOO 4.0 and LibO 4 on Win 8
Hungarian forum co-admin
Skyhigh

Post by Skyhigh »

Hello,
Thanks for the update, however Microsoft Office is the same in concept and structure (but not better or easier to use), and Access (which is the "equivalence" to Base in Bill's form of a database) can run as a "docked" (within the MSOffice application) application or a stand alone (with run time). An application written in a database, be it either Access (which has a commercially available runtime) or Base, should be able to run as a stand alone program. This has been a common requirement for "smaller" databases as even far back as DBase II, DBase III (etc.) and the old FoxBase of the 80s, which were the pioneers of what is today's modern databases. Even back as far as then, they had runtime included, until Bill Gates bought FoxBase and made Foxpro (later to be MS Visual Base), at which time, he made the run time a "optional extra add on to all of his empire, to enforce his greed upon all of us.. A stand (compiled with runtime)alone database application is nice from the prospective for being able to load it onto a "portable" type of device (not a notebook). I believe that Base should have a runtime available as such.. and if OO is taking requests for ideas.. that would be my number one for Base.. That would put OO and Base in a whole new batting field against the other commercial databases... who all now offer "runtime" as an "optional extra"..
Thanks,
Skyhigh..
r4zoli
Volunteer

Post by r4zoli »

This site where users help users, no developers here.

This feature is requested already.

All programs mentioned in your post proprietary OOo open source, you can join to develop missing feature or pay for somebody else to develop missing feature.

Base is the youngest part of OOo introduced in 2.0 version, it takes time do enhance, submit your ideas in issue tracker, or join to users at dba point openoffice dot org, mail list.
Last edited by r4zoli on Wed Jan 14, 2009 8:18 am, edited 1 time in total.
Hungarian forum co-admin
Villeroy
Volunteer

Post by Villeroy »

Access is a totally different thing and it runs under one single operating system controlled by the same company.
http://user.services.openoffice.org/en/ ... 418#p64418
Please, edit this topic's initial post and add "[Solved]" to the subject line if your problem has been solved.
Ubuntu 18.04 with LibreOffice 6.0, latest OpenOffice and LibreOffice
Skyhigh

Post by Skyhigh »

Hello,
Thanks for the reply guys. I would like to get involved in both Calc and Base, but not being a "programmer" here say, and more a sysadmin, I could only offer what I could do. Please feel free to add me to any list as to "help" the development stages of these fine products. I do understand the process of Open Source technology and its requirements. I do a small amount of programming and scripting (Python) and I am currently learning both Java and its offshoots . Netbeans, Eclipse etc.. but I am only in the beginning stages of such for my work requirements.

Thanks,
Skyhigh
Skyhigh

Post by Skyhigh »

Thanks all.. :D
mobi-doc

Post by mobi-doc »

I understand that a runtime is useful when the client do not have the whole office suite, and when you want to distribute an Access program you won't require your clients to buy MS Office to run it.

In case of OpenOffice.org, the program is free to download and install. I don't understand why a Base runtime would be useful in this case. Disc space isn't an issue these days.
Skyhigh

Post by Skyhigh »

Hi All,
Thanks for the help.. this is closed.. As for space.. try loading 7.8GB of info on a 8GB flash drive for our field personnel, so any space is welcome.. That is where my idea came from (some where in the back of my brain).. to remove the base space and use a run time.. never mind..

Thanks all for your help..
Sky..
Jabooma

Post by Jabooma »

Hello i know this thread is older but i was hoping this might have been added by this point?

i need this feature mostly to avoid users from messing up the forms or other parts. i was also hoping there would be a way to export it as an internal web site?
Running Ubuntu and the Open Office v3.2.0 on several different pc's
r4zoli
Volunteer

Post by r4zoli »

No changes from that time.
Hungarian forum co-admin
Jabooma

Post by Jabooma »

bummer...

can oo be used to develope a web based db easily?
Running Ubuntu and the Open Office v3.2.0 on several different pc's
Villeroy
Volunteer

Post by Villeroy »

No, there are plenty of tools for online databases (such as this forum, online shops, customer relationship managment, content management). All of them require programming skills and some level of proficiency with databases. Once you created your database you may also connect Base or MS Access to the database and add a desktop based toolset.
Please, edit this topic's initial post and add "[Solved]" to the subject line if your problem has been solved.
Ubuntu 18.04 with LibreOffice 6.0, latest OpenOffice and LibreOffice