[Solved] Want replacement for PrintMaster (mailmerge, etc)

Not sure where to post? Post here!
45dodger

[Solved] Want replacement for PrintMaster (mailmerge, etc)

Post by 45dodger »

Welcome beginner. What is your question or comment?
Please try to briefly and clearly tell us: What you want, What you tried, and What happened.
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
I have been using the program PrintMaster 16 (PM16) to make postcards, labels, envelopes and so on.

I have several address books created within PM16. The program can access any of the address books to do a mail merge with any of the postcards, labels, etc. that I have created. How can I most easily do these things in OO.o?

I currently use Writer for simple text documents so I have a little familiarity with OO.o.

Thanks for any guidance.
Last edited by 45dodger on Tue Jan 06, 2009 8:48 pm, edited 1 time in total.
grumpy old man
OOo 3.0.X on Ms Windows XP
acknak

Re: Want replacement for PrintMaster (mailmerge, etc)

Post by acknak »

OOo can create documents with merged data inserted from a database. OOo can use several types of database file already, but I'd say that the chance that it can access the data you already have in PM is slim. If you can find out what kind of database PM uses, we can tell you if it can be used by OOo.

Alternatively, you may be able to export your PM data to a CSV or other text file, which OOo can use.
AOO4/LO5 • Linux • Fedora 23
45dodger

Post by 45dodger »

PM16 can export the address books as two types of text file, either comma-separated (CSV) or tab-delimited. I would want to have OO.o import the files and be able to edit, modify and so on without needing PM16 in the future.
grumpy old man
acknak

Post by acknak »

Either of those text formats should import into OOo just fine. I prefer tab-separated; CSV has many variant interpretations that often lead to subtle problems.

You can import to a spreadsheet and use that as your 'database', or you can set up a real database. The spreadsheet is easier to edit/maintain for small, flat (single-table) data sets, but is less flexible. The database is more flexible and powerful, but far less convenient and carries a steep learning curve getting started.
AOO4/LO5 • Linux • Fedora 23
45dodger

Post by 45dodger »

It sounds as though the spreadsheet is what I should try first. I have looked at several spreadsheet programs and also data base systems, and all require a good bit of learning. The shorter learning curve with the spreadsheet would be much appreciated. Thanks for the helpful information!
grumpy old man