Due to an unexpected error, OpenOffice.org has crashed

Issues with installing under all versions of MS Windows
tenbrooks10

Due to an unexpected error, OpenOffice.org has crashed

Post by tenbrooks10 »

I have installed Oo3.0 on Win XP. No problem with installation but opening any module of the product causes immediate crash: "Due to an unexpected error, OpenOffice.org has crashed. All the files you were working on will now be saved. The n..(remainder of message runs off of window).
OOo 3.0.X on Ms Windows XP
Hagar Delest

Re: Due to an unexpected error, OpenOffice.org has crashed

Post by Hagar Delest »

Is it an upgrade or a first install? In both cases, try to reset your OOo user profile. Then it should be fine. If it was an upgrade, don't transfer your personal data when asked during the welcome process.

Thanks to add '[Solved]' at beginning of your first post title (edit button) if your issue has been fixed.
LibreOffice 7.6.2.1 on Xubuntu 23.10 and 7.6.4.1 portable on Windows 10
tenbrooks10

Post by tenbrooks10 »

Thank you for your quick response. I was able to rename the user profile (note to others using WinXP: if you get "File in use", close the Quickstarter from your system tray) and this got me beyond that error. I have a new one, which may be the real problem: "An unhandled win32 exception occurred in soffice.bin". After clicking OK the program closes. At this point you have to delete the user profile again or the original problem comes back when you re-open. I probably got this new error before but clicked through it.

Searching around the forums suggested that it might be a Symantec Firewall problem (it wouldn't be surprising for Symantec to be the problem) but I repeated the process with the firewall software turned off and got the same result. Any suggestions would be helpful. I did have an earlier version on this machine at one time that one started up fine.

Thanks again
tenbrooks10

Post by tenbrooks10 »

Thanks for your help to date. I have had to abandon Oo3 since I can't get it working and get a copy of MS Office instead. Hope others have better luck than me.
Villeroy
Volunteer

Post by Villeroy »

tenbrooks10 wrote:Thanks for your help to date. I have had to abandon Oo3 since I can't get it working and get a copy of MS Office instead. Hope others have better luck than me.
Many millions of Windows users downloaded version 3 of the suite. Obviously, most of them have better "luck".
Please, edit this topic's initial post and add "[Solved]" to the subject line if your problem has been solved.
Ubuntu 18.04 with LibreOffice 6.0, latest OpenOffice and LibreOffice
thomasjk
Volunteer

Post by thomasjk »

Turning the firewall off may not help. In some cases you may have to uninstall and re-install to get things to work.
Tom K.
Windows 10 Home version 1803 17134.165
LibreOffice 5.4.7.2
tenbrooks10

Post by tenbrooks10 »

Villeroy wrote:
tenbrooks10 wrote:Thanks for your help to date. I have had to abandon Oo3 since I can't get it working and get a copy of MS Office instead. Hope others have better luck than me.
Many millions of Windows users downloaded version 3 of the suite. Obviously, most of them have better "luck".
Hey, I'm one of the millions who downloaded successfully. That's not the hard part ;) I'm not implying that Microsoft support is any better. Thanks for the response though.
tenbrooks10

Post by tenbrooks10 »

Thanks for the suggestion. I have done that a couple of times and it didn't work. I think it's just my computer. I'll try again in the future when things change.
thomasjk wrote:Turning the firewall off may not help. In some cases you may have to uninstall and re-install to get things to work.