Document opened in read-only mode

Discuss the spreadsheet application
Wabbit

Document opened in read-only mode

Post by Wabbit »

"Document opened in read-only mode"
The "document" is a 65 page workbook which is my weekly accounts, I'm on page 38 and it was fine when I used it the other day. now it's telling me that I've opened it in read only mode. It's not a protected document as this is my home PC and I'm the only one that uses it (I live alone). I've found that if I open the workbook and "save as", the new saved document is fine. But there must be a simple way of correcting this.

Win xp pro
Open office version 221

Thanks in advance
RogerGaunt

Re: Document opened in read-only mode

Post by RogerGaunt »

Navigate to the file in Explorer.
Right click the file name, then Properties.
There should be a check box showing "Read Only" on the General tab, along with Hidden and Archive.
Uncheck this, and (hopefully) your problem has gone.
Don't ask me how it got set as Read Only, I've no idea
Wabbit

Post by Wabbit »

The document attribute is not set to read only (that was the first thing I checked). But thanks for replying :) The problem seems to be with OpenOffice, Anyone else go a clue?
Hagar Delest

Post by Hagar Delest »

Could you have clicked by error on the Edit button in the toolbar just before saving ? Personally, I remove that button to avoid such inconvenience.
LibreOffice 7.6.2.1 on Xubuntu 23.10 and 7.6.4.1 portable on Windows 10
AndrewZ
Volunteer

Post by AndrewZ »

I've seen this happen on an office network. What I do (in a file browser such as Windows Explorer) is copy the file to a new name, delete the old file, and rename the new file to the old name.

Alternatively, you could try clicking the Edit button on the toolbar.

Another option is to try File->Save As and see what happens.
* Did you solve your problem? Do others a favor: Post the solution
* Visit OpenOffice.org Ninja (blog) and OpenOffice.org Ninja Wiki for news, previews, troubleshooting, etc.
OOo 3.0.X on Fedora 9 + XP
luc53

Post by luc53 »

I think it's a problem not coming from open office. If you click right on file name, than property, than protection you see how your file has been closed for ever by someone that is not you. If you try to change the general protection you need an expert. It is easyer for me to copy in new file, but it is rally time wasting .
Can anyone help ?
luc53

Post by luc53 »

In other forum I have found the solution.
Open a folder/click once on the file you like/click organize (top left)/click property/click protection/click users/click modify/click to allow complete control/ok/ok/ fonoshed. On the file the icon is changed and now it is easy to change the file (also for viruses I think).
Rands

Post by Rands »

How do I open OpenOffice 2.3 without it being read-only mode? (I'm unable to enter any data) I don't even know what a read-only mode is? Hopefullly, I don't need to understand it to correct this problem.----Rands
kingfisher
Volunteer

Post by kingfisher »

Read-only mode means that you cannot save any changes to the document. If you open a file from a cd or dvd, it will be read-only because OO cannot write to such media. What is your situation?
Apache OpenOffice 4.1.9 on Linux
Boatman189

Post by Boatman189 »

Read only usually occurs when more than one instance of a file is open at the same time.
OOo 3.0.X on Ms Windows XP
baffoni

Post by baffoni »

I just upgraded OO from 2.2 to 3.0. Now, every time I open a file, it is automatically in READ ONLY mode. I have a workaround, but this REALLY needs to be fixed.

I'm running OO 3.0 on Vista SP1. If I create a new file, I can't save it, it is immediately in read only mode (same for opening older files). Currently seeing this in the spreadsheet app. This is caused because OO doesn't correctly handle it's lock files!

When you open or create a file name "test.ods", it creates the lock file ".~lock.test.ods#". If I create this file, then immediately delete this lock file, I can now save my document (once; it recreates the file on save). I have full permissions on this file, I can delete it at any time, even while the file it locks is open. When I close the ods file, the lock file is left behind, preventing edits in the future without pre-deleting the lock file.

This really REALLY is a showstopper for most people, we really need a point update to fix this.
OOo 3.0.X on MS Windows Vista + XP
baffoni

Post by baffoni »

Is there a better place to post bug reports (e.g. like bugzilla for mozilla products), or does this forum function in this capacity?
OOo 3.0.X on MS Windows Vista + XP
acknak

Post by acknak »

The bug is already fixed and due for release in 3.0.1 next month.

The problem can be triggered when you include a comma or semicolon in your user information (Tools > Options > OO.org > User Information > Name). Just remove the problem characters and you should be able to edit your files normally.

Have you read the Forum Survival Guide? This is not the place to report bugs, although you can discuss them here.

See [Tutorial] Reporting bugs or suggestions
AOO4/LO5 • Linux • Fedora 23
c1p1

Post by c1p1 »

solved.... here ---> http://c1p1.wordpress.com/2011/04/21/so ... only-mode/ :D
Wabbit wrote:"Document opened in read-only mode"
The "document" is a 65 page workbook which is my weekly accounts, I'm on page 38 and it was fine when I used it the other day. now it's telling me that I've opened it in read only mode. It's not a protected document as this is my home PC and I'm the only one that uses it (I live alone). I've found that if I open the workbook and "save as", the new saved document is fine. But there must be a simple way of correcting this.

Win xp pro
Open office version 221

Thanks in advance
OpenOffice 3.1 on Windows 7
doug0909

Post by doug0909 »

could you explain in English how to solve this problem with the current version of OpenOffice in Windows 7? Thanks...
Open Office 3.3 on Windows 7
kingfisher
Volunteer

Post by kingfisher »

Over some 7 years I have never experienced this problem. When a document is opened a 'lock' file is created. If the lock file is still there after you close the file, delete it.

You can also check the menu selection (for Calc, other apps probably the same) File > Properties > [tab] Security > 'Open file read-only' which should NOT be selected if you want to edit the file.

Another possibility is to change the file permissions using your file manager or some such tool. I am not familiar with Windows 7.
Apache OpenOffice 4.1.9 on Linux
Hagar Delest

Post by Hagar Delest »

For the record, double posting with: [Issue] 3.3.0 - "Read-only" when saved in .doc + password. Please don't multi-post, especially if your problem is not exactly the same (for the other topic for example, except if you're talking about password protected files exported in .doc).
LibreOffice 7.6.2.1 on Xubuntu 23.10 and 7.6.4.1 portable on Windows 10
jhbottrill@gmail.com

Post by jhbottrill@gmail.com »

I got rid of Microsoft Office for Open Office and had the read-only problem.
The easy way out is to copy the file to another folder and the attribute disappears.
Alternatively, copy and past the entire folder. if you have lots of files with the same problem.
jordanelektronika

Post by jordanelektronika »

The problem is caused by system presmissions.Go to propertiles, SECURYTY, SYSTEM, EDIT and set to full control.Change the persmissions for the other users also.
OpenOffice 4.11 on Windows Vista Bussines