I can't Open a pps file on my email

Discuss the presentation application
starboy

I can't Open a pps file on my email

Post by starboy »

When I try to open a pps attachment on my Vista Windows email program, I get a dialogue to check my Associations in Control Panel. In the Associations, all relevant files are set for Open Office. If I save that pps attachment to a folder, it will then open properly. Also with the Windows office program on my desktop, the pps attachments open as a presentaion, whereas when the Open Office version opens on my save attachments, it's the opened project window, and I have to choose the slide show. Is this normal?
floris v
Volunteer

Re: I can't Open a pps file on my email

Post by floris v »

A wild guess: you get Office 2007 .pps files and while your trial version of Office 2007 can open them, OOo can't.
OpenOffice 4.1.11 on Ubuntu; LibreOffice 6.4 on Linux Mint, LibreOffice 7.6.2.1 on Ubuntu
If your problem has been solved or your question has been answered, please edit the first post in this thread and add [Solved] to the title bar.
Nederlandstalig forum
starboy

Post by starboy »

Hi Floris,

I just sent my laptop with the OO another Power Point that I had created using my desktop Office 2000 and it also wouldn't open as an attachment either. If I save it will open. It won't open if I open OO first, then try and open the pps as an existing project. I get the Association dialogue again. :roll:
floris v
Volunteer

Post by floris v »

Personally that would suit me down to the ground. I much prefer saving file attachments and opening the saved versions; I feel that's safer. You may find it annoying to change your routine, but if you can open the saved file, then what's the real problem? You probably want to save that file anyway, so it's the same effort, except done in another order. :mrgreen:
OpenOffice 4.1.11 on Ubuntu; LibreOffice 6.4 on Linux Mint, LibreOffice 7.6.2.1 on Ubuntu
If your problem has been solved or your question has been answered, please edit the first post in this thread and add [Solved] to the title bar.
Nederlandstalig forum
foxcole
Volunteer

Post by foxcole »

starboy wrote:It won't open if I open OO first, then try and open the pps as an existing project.
Pardon? Are you saying you open OOo first, then try and open the pps from your email? I use three different email clients and none of them allow this. I'm either very confused or am ignorant about some kinds of email clients.

Either way, this sounds like a problem with your email and OS than with OpenOffice. I'm not sure what you'd expect to be able to do through OOo to fix it.
Cheers!
---Fox

OOo 3.2.0 Portable, Windows 7 Home Premium 64-bit