[Solved] Autospellcheck no longer showes red wavy line

Issues with installing under all versions of MS Windows
skipperZ

[Solved] Autospellcheck no longer showes red wavy line

Post by skipperZ »

I don't usually rely on spellcheck, but my keyboard has ben acting up (the lefthan keystrokes get dropped a lot -- it's a hardware problem), so I've been relying on it more than usual.

I've triple checked that i have "check spelling as I type" on, and I've checked and uncheckd the box a few times, n restarted openoffice, and toggled the button on the menu button several times. Manual spellcheck orks fine, nd so does autoreplace. The re wavy line _used_ to show up fine... an now randomly it isn't.

I'm running it off Winows Vista Premium Home dition if that makes any ifference. My only other iea of what's causing this is that I've been opening the docs (off a flash rive) in MS Word on a ifferent computer. I on't know how to fix it now.. I tried opening a fresh doc an the same thing happened. Anyone hve any ideas?

-- skip (who apologize for laziness in not fixing her typos. it's the damned keyboard)
Last edited by skipperZ on Wed Mar 26, 2008 3:40 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Hagar Delest

Re: Autospellcheck no longer showes red wavy line

Post by Hagar Delest »

Try to select the text and apply the Default formatting either by right click or hit CTRL+SHIFT+Space bar. It may come from a direct formatting coming from Word.

For further information: [Tutorial] Spell check and Language configuration.

Thanks to add '[Solved]' in your first post title (edit button) if your issue has been fixed.
LibreOffice 7.6.2.1 on Xubuntu 23.10 and 7.6.4.1 portable on Windows 10
skipperZ

Post by skipperZ »

No... oesn't sem to be the problem. I thought that as well, because i'd been copy-pasting from a different doc, but it does it with fresh docs now, as well, an I hven't changed my default formatting, or the basic tmplate. The only thing I've done recently is chnge the keyboard shortcuts for ctrl+1 nd ctrl+2 (they now change line spacing). Somehow I don't think that's it... I'd chnged the ordcount shortcut ages ago. Does changing the keyboard keys mes with that at all? None of the key ere mapped to spellcheck or language anything.

-- skip
Hagar Delest

Post by Hagar Delest »

skipperZ wrote:The only thing I've done recently is chnge the keyboard shortcuts
You should change your keyboard as well!!

But no, I don't think it's related. To check, rename your OOo user profile (\Documents and settings\<user>\Application data\OpenOffice.org2) and see if there is any change. Once done, you can replace the new profile by the old one.
skipperZ

Post by skipperZ »

Yeeeeah, that seemed to work. *sighs* How weird. I must have had some checkbox checked wrong or something somewhere...

Thanks! I can't decide hether I want to blame Vista or this or not. :twisted: I blame Vista for most things, just on principle. *goes to list this problem as solved*

Oh, and yeah, i should get a new kyboard. I do have a wireless one, but it loses about as many keytorkes on account of signal loss funness. I swear, it is impossible to find a wired keyboar here. Once i find my screwdriver i'm taking this keyboad apart. I haven't gotten to play with wire cutters for a whole month.

-- skip
lee

Post by lee »

skipperZ wrote:Yeeeeah, that seemed to work. *sighs* How weird. I must have had some checkbox checked wrong or something somewhere...
Skip, you are not alone. Every time I do a version upgrade of Open Office on an XP box, I have this weird battle to get my Australian English spell checking working again. It happened again this morning as I took my machine to 2.4. Despite the Settings reporting that English(Australia) was present, the wavy lines did not appear and Writer did not find the dictionary when I tried to do spell checks on a virgin document with only one word of gibberish in it. I thought I had the sequence down pat but even after successive reinstalls, fiddling with checkboxes and reboots, it started working without any apparent help from me. I am glad that someone else has made this observation. I would love to know what is going on, I suspect that it is some kind of caching issue but the reboots don't seem to clear it.

I will be installing the new version on two more XP machines and expect the same weirdness that does not seem to be being addressed in any of the forum answers that I have seen. Can someone tell me if I am wrong so that, as I load the other machines with 2.4 I can test a procedure that brings the wavy lines up immediately instead of having to mess around in hyperspace randomly checking boxes in the settings or waiting for the Gods of XP to respond?
Hagar Delest

Re: [Solved] Autospellcheck no longer showes red wavy line

Post by Hagar Delest »

Amanda1

Post by Amanda1 »

Maybe someone here can help me as well. I'm not very savvy with chat rooms so forgive me up front.
Problem: I have version 3 and my OS is XP. My auto spellchecker has stopped with the wavy red lines ( i guess the red line format is the only one with OO.) I have checked help and it simply tells me to enable the autospellchecker. Tried clicking on it but no luck. Is there something else i should be doing?

Thanks.
OOo 3.0.X on Ms Windows XP
bobban
Volunteer

Post by bobban »

Welcome to the forums.
Maybe someone here can help me as well. I'm not very savvy with chat rooms so forgive me up front.
It's often better to start a new thread for yourself, since this one has been marked [Solved], your post might be missed if nobody looks in here again. :)

Check out the spellchecker tutorial. Are you saying your spellcheck was working, but is now just marking every word as an error (displaying red lines)? If so, this thread might help (that thread has a link in Hagar's post to another thread with more detail on this).
OOo 3.1.1 on Ms Windows XP
Amanda1

Post by Amanda1 »

Thanks, that worked. Just a matter of curiosity, i stumbled onto another OO site earlier and it looked like a commercial package of OO. Is OO for sale as well? what's the difference between the two?
OOo 3.0.X on Ms Windows XP
bobban
Volunteer

Post by bobban »

Could you please post the address so we can comment further on that. It's not illegal to resell OOo. There is a few cases I have seen however where it is just a blatant rip-off. They put it in a glossy box, call it something snazzy like 'Open Office Professional Edition' and try to get $5 for something that is free. If they were to send it on CD this could be a reasonable service for those who are not in a position to download it (although there is a CD distribution project within OOo). One I just saw on an auction gives it by digital delivery, which means that instead of going to the main OpenOffice.org website to download they charge you then send a link. :evil:
OOo 3.1.1 on Ms Windows XP