Opening OOorg documents w/Microsoft Word

Discuss setup / installation issues - Add a spell checker, Language pack?
hendriksenr

Opening OOorg documents w/Microsoft Word

Post by hendriksenr »

Welcome beginner. What is your question or comment?
Please try to briefly and clearly tell us: What you want, What you tried, and What happened.

I recently tried to send an email with an to multiple people with an OOorg writer file attached. I always understood Open Office and Microsoft Office to be compatible. But I received email back from everyone immediately that they could not open my file. Did I do something wrong? Do I need to save it under a different extension? Or am I just out of luck and no one's gonna be able to read my attachments. What do I do? Please help people.

Hendriksenr
OOo 2.4.X on Ms Windows XP
thomasjk
Volunteer

Re: opening OOorg documents w/Microsoft Word

Post by thomasjk »

You need to do File-->Save As--->Microsoft Word 97/2000/XP to save your documents in .doc format.
Tom K.
Windows 10 Home version 1803 17134.165
LibreOffice 5.4.7.2
bobban
Volunteer

Re: opening OOorg documents w/Microsoft Word

Post by bobban »

+1 to what thomasjk said.

M$ Office cannot open Open Document format files. The Sun ODF plugin for allows it to.

Word of warning. I have only used this once and found that it didn't properly format by bullets and numbering. I suspect this may be because of changes to the Open Document formats incorporated in OOov3.0.0, so please test first.
OOo 3.1.1 on Ms Windows XP
hendriksenr

Re: Opening OOorg documents w/Microsoft Word

Post by hendriksenr »

Thank you everyone for your comments
OOo 2.4.X on Ms Windows XP
TheGurkha
Volunteer

Re: Opening OOorg documents w/Microsoft Word

Post by TheGurkha »

Also, remember that if they don't need to edit it and only need to read/print it, you can send it as a PDF and not worry about what office suite they are using.

Anyway, if your question has been answered please go to your first post and use the Edit button, and add [Solved] to the start of the title. You can use the green tick icon at the same time if you like.
Ubuntu 14.10 Utopic Unicorn, LibreOffice Version: 4.3.3.2
Gurkha Welfare Trust