How can I permanently disable autocorrect?

Discuss setup / installation issues - Add a spell checker, Language pack?
lowpressure

How can I permanently disable autocorrect?

Post by lowpressure »

I like to work in OO Writer without AutoCorrect, but although I can turn it off it is turned back on every time I reopen the application.

How can I turn this off permanently?
OOo 3.0.X on Mac OSx other
bobban
Volunteer

Re: How can I permanently disable autocorrect?

Post by bobban »

Remove the check mark from:

Format->AutoFormat->While Typing

When I close and reopen Writer is remembers this setting. It doesn't for you?
OOo 3.1.1 on Ms Windows XP
Villeroy
Volunteer

Post by Villeroy »

The settings of menu:Tools>AutoCorrect... are stored in your user profile in file
/Users/<user name>/Library/Application Support/OpenOffice.org/3/user/registry/data/org/openoffice/Office/Common.xcu
That file should be modified when you change the settings.
You may try to create a completely new user profile (reset all cusomizations). Shut down the office suite completely, move directory
/Users/<user name>/Library/Application Support/OpenOffice.org/3/user/
to somewhere else, restart the office, handle the first-start wizard and see if the problem still exists.
I have no idea what menu:Format>AutoFormat does in Writer. Auto correction changes data (what you type into the document). Formatting generally changes the appearance of your data without changing your textual or numeric content.
Please, edit this topic's initial post and add "[Solved]" to the subject line if your problem has been solved.
Ubuntu 18.04 with LibreOffice 6.0, latest OpenOffice and LibreOffice
bobban
Volunteer

Post by bobban »

I have no idea what menu:Format>AutoFormat does in Writer.
It's the poorly named master switch for Autocorrect, and it looks like it will be reworked in v3.1.

See acknak's post at the bottom of this threadt.
Villeroy
Volunteer

Post by Villeroy »

Thank you for clarification. I remember that thread, but I did not digest acknak's reply properly since I avoid using word processors mainly because they are incomprehensible to me. This is just another example.
acknak wrote:Loot at Writer: the options set under Tools > AutoCorrect are governed by an overall setting under Format > AutoFormat.
Please, edit this topic's initial post and add "[Solved]" to the subject line if your problem has been solved.
Ubuntu 18.04 with LibreOffice 6.0, latest OpenOffice and LibreOffice
bobban
Volunteer

Post by bobban »

Yes, that is one thing that will be cleaned up in v3.1 according to that thread he posted.
lowpressure

Post by lowpressure »

Thanks for your suggestions.

I tried moving the settings directory and restarting but it doesn't help. AutoFormat is still turned on every time I reopen OO. Is there a config file somewhere in here that I can edit by hand?
acknak

Post by acknak »

When you exit and re-start OOo, are you closing down the quickstarter in the system tray as well?
AOO4/LO5 • Linux • Fedora 23
lowpressure

Post by lowpressure »

Yes, I generally shut down all processes that I'm not using (it clutters up the dock and the tool that I use to swap between applications otherwise).

I just tried leaving the OO quickstarter open, and it does seem to preserve the state of the autoformatting. That's only a partial workaround as I'm only an occasional OO user and I have to reboot my machine from time to time, but it's better than nothing. I just hope I can retrain my fingers not to shut down the whole thing every time!

Is it a bug that this isn't preserved across a restart? Do I need to report this?
bobban
Volunteer

Post by bobban »

Is it a bug that this isn't preserved across a restart? Do I need to report this?
I would assume so. You can follow this guide if you want.
exegete77
Volunteer

Post by exegete77 »

acknak wrote:When you exit and re-start OOo, are you closing down the quickstarter in the system tray as well?
Not sure, but since he is using OS X there is no "system tray." Are you referring to the Dock? The Dock only provides quick access to launching programs (and tells which programs are currently open), but doesn't affect closing programs.
Mac OS X 10.7.3 Lion
LibreOffice 3.5 / Symphony 3
Scrivener 2.2 / Tinderbox 5.10
acknak

Post by acknak »

Oops--good point. I don't know if OOo on OSX even uses the quickstarter; hopefully, not. I think it causes more trouble than it's worth.
AOO4/LO5 • Linux • Fedora 23