Endnote be hidden!!!

Discuss the word processor
jjf_sxtu

Endnote be hidden!!!

Post by jjf_sxtu »

I want hide the lable of endnote in text, but when I hide it, the context of the endnote also are hidden, like this:
xxxxx[12345],xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
in endnote section:
[1]XXXXXXXXXxxx
[2]XXXXXXXXXXXXXX
[3]XXXXXXXXXX
[4]XXXXXXXXX
[5]XXXXXXXXXX

I want hide the lable 234 so it will become
xxxxx[1-5],xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
in endnote section:
[1]XXXXXXXXXxxx
[2]XXXXXXXXXXXXXX
[3]XXXXXXXXXX
[4]XXXXXXXXX
[5]XXXXXXXXXX

but, when I hide the lable 234 by toolbar of "font styple"
it become:
xxxxx[1-5],xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
in endnote section:
[1]XXXXXXXXXxxx
[5]XXXXXXXXXX

the context of the endnote hidden yet. is it a bug?????????
How I can do to do what I want?
Bhikkhu Pesala

Re: endonote be hidden!!!

Post by Bhikkhu Pesala »

No, its not a bug. If your document contained a sentence, which had an endnote or footnote, and if that sentence was marked as hidden, would you expect the footnote or endnote to show or to be hidden?

If the note anchors are hidden then the notes themselves should also be hidden.

Why do you need five distinct note numbers? Why not include the five notes in note 1 as five paragraphs i. to v. or a) to e) for example? I'm sure that will be much easier, and will also look better in the document text.
Idiot Compassion
LibreOffice 6.0.4 on Windows 10
jjf_sxtu

Post by jjf_sxtu »

please look the articles on JACS and PRB, PRL and so on, In this science publications, have many endnote and footnotes were written as [1-3], [5-8].

Yes, we can group these in one, but many time, we want separate them.

I like LINUX, like Openoffice, But this problem bother me.

I think it a bug, why not give me a more freely controlling about my document. I want use it to do what I want to do.................
floris v
Volunteer

Post by floris v »

That's a rather advanced use of footnotes or endnotes, or rather abuse. 8-) I expect that none of the present word processors allow you to do this kind of trick, maybe it's done in TeX, I haven't seen it done before (but I'm aware of its existence). I don't think it's really necessary to add something like that to a general purpose office bundle like OOo.
OpenOffice 4.1.11 on Ubuntu; LibreOffice 6.4 on Linux Mint, LibreOffice 7.6.2.1 on Ubuntu
If your problem has been solved or your question has been answered, please edit the first post in this thread and add [Solved] to the title bar.
Nederlandstalig forum
jjf_sxtu

Post by jjf_sxtu »

But Msoffice can do this easily.
floris v
Volunteer

Post by floris v »

What version of MS Office? I had a look in Word 2002 , and if it can be done there, it takes time to figure out how. It's certainly not easy to find out.

OOo is free software, that also means that you're free to use it - or not use it. If MS Office suits your purpose better, go ahead with it. 8-)
OpenOffice 4.1.11 on Ubuntu; LibreOffice 6.4 on Linux Mint, LibreOffice 7.6.2.1 on Ubuntu
If your problem has been solved or your question has been answered, please edit the first post in this thread and add [Solved] to the title bar.
Nederlandstalig forum
foxcole
Volunteer

Post by foxcole »

jjf_sxtu wrote:I think it a bug, why not give me a more freely controlling about my document. I want use it to do what I want to do.................
Of course you do, but it's impossible to design a software that will do everything the way every individual user wants it to work. As Bhikkhu and floris_v have suggested, what you're asking for is non standard. Allowing something like that might not only be difficult to program, it might also greatly complicate usage for all users who follow style guide standards for footnotes and endnotes.
Cheers!
---Fox

OOo 3.2.0 Portable, Windows 7 Home Premium 64-bit
mjk62

Post by mjk62 »

Hi there,

Just thought I'd add my own views on the issue of "endnote" and "reference manager" that are often used in scientific publications. For me this is the missing link in Open Office. I work for a medical journal where submitted manuscripts are converted to PDF. Many of the authors use programs like Endnote and Reference Manager when creating their bibliographies/references. I like to use Open Office because it has a quick and, on the whole, good PDF conversion process - a requirement for when manuscripts are peer reviewed. Unfortunately, these references don't seem to appear in Open Office. As a result, I have to abandon Open Office and resort to MSWord and Adobe Acrobat in order to convert the files to PDF. This is a shame, in my opinion, as I really like to use alternatives to Microsoft or Adobe products.

I would be interested to hear from anyone with ideas about how to make these visible.

Mike Kelly
foxcole
Volunteer

Post by foxcole »

mjk62 wrote:Just thought I'd add my own views on the issue of "endnote" and "reference manager" that are often used in scientific publications. For me this is the missing link in Open Office. I work for a medical journal where submitted manuscripts are converted to PDF. Many of the authors use programs like Endnote and Reference Manager when creating their bibliographies/references. I like to use Open Office because it has a quick and, on the whole, good PDF conversion process - a requirement for when manuscripts are peer reviewed. Unfortunately, these references don't seem to appear in Open Office.
I'm sorry, you've lost me. What does PDF conversion have to do with Endnote and Reference Manager? What does PDF have to do with whether anything appears in an OpenOffice document? How are your issues related to the topic of this thread? I'm confused, but nevertheless certain this should be in a topic of its own. ;)
Cheers!
---Fox

mjk62

Post by mjk62 »

Hi Foxcole

Sorry, perhaps I didn't make myself clear. I know that Open Office doesn't have much to do with PDF... what I meant was that I convert MSWord documents to PDF using the option available in Open Office and then upload these to the journal's online system. The problem I experience is that many manuscripts submitted to the journal, use Endnote or Reference Manager when creating their references. These simply don't appear in Open Office for some reason, including the reference numbers.

As for whether this has anything to do with this particular thread, perhaps I'm mistaken and didn't understand the full context of the thread itself. I searched for anything related to Endnote and found this one about these being hidden in Open Office that it was related to the problem I've been experiencing. Now, having looked over the comments, I'm not sure it is related. Sorry for that, it is the first time that I''ve used the forum.

If you think it is appropriate, I shall start a new thread for this topic.

Kind regards
Mike
foxcole
Volunteer

Post by foxcole »

Hi, Mike. Now I understand. Thanks! :)
By all means do start a thread. Your issue certainly merits discussion!
Cheers!
---Fox

zobrax

Re: Endnote be hidden!!!

Post by zobrax »

So, definitely it's not possible to hide just the endnote anchor and not the endnote, is it? Well, that's a pity. I thinks this is not the desire of one individual person (jjf_sxtu ), there are a lot of people submitting their articles to scientific journals that need this option available, and this kind of little things keep them using MSoffice. I hope it is available in the next version of Openoffice.
OOo 3.0.X on Ubuntu 8.x
AGradStudent

Post by AGradStudent »

I have found a makeshift solution:

For the endnote/footnote references in the main text that you want to hide, set the font size to 2 (the smallest it will go), white color, and condensed character spacing to 2.0 (the maximum).

For example, if you text looked like this:

Blah blah blah blah 1,2,3,4,5
[Those numbers would be superscript endnote or footnote references]

And you want it to look like this:
Blah blah blah blah 1-5

Here's how:
Insert a superscripted hyphen ("-") after the 1.
Delete the commas.
Select the reference numbers you want to hide (in this case, 2 through 4).
Choose the menu: Format > Character
Use the appropriate tabs to:
- set the font color to white (to match the white page)
- set the font size to 2 (the smallest it will go in my version)
- set the spacing to "condensed" by "2.0" (under the Position tab).
Hit "OK" to make the change.

I find this acceptable for "hiding" up to 3 endnote/footnote references. For hiding 3, I add a space before the hyphen to balance it. In other words, when you first "hide" the middle references it might look like this:
1- 5
(Because the middle references aren't really hidden, just very small, invisible, and squeezed.)
But add a space before the hyphen to make it look a little more normal:
1 - 5

Using this method to hide any more than 3 endnote/footnote references will start to push it too far. You'll have big spaces, too many to be acceptable for papers and definitely for formal journals or reports.

For the record, having the feature to hide the endnote/footnote reference in the main text but not the endnote/footnote text itself would be extremely useful for a lot of academics. There are official style guides that require it. You can't put multiple reference under one note number, and you can't list them all ("1,2,3,4,5"); they simply require this abbreviated listing ("1-5").
OpenOffice 3.2.0 - Windows Vista SP 1
wernerjvienna

Post by wernerjvienna »

In scientific texts is common and for some articles in many journals necessary to make an extra endnote for each reference. These journals also demand that within the text more than 2 subsequent reference numbers should be written like: 2-5. If open office should be really an alternative for usage in scientific writing at universities the correct implementation of a feature as given in MS-office is absolutely vital. Otherwise the open office writer is not usable for millions of students and scientists.
The work around decribed above leads to terrible spaces if you have more reference (e.g. 23-30) So at the moment I have to stick to MS-Word.
OpenOffice 3.3 on Windows 7 x64
floris v
Volunteer

Post by floris v »

wernerjvienna wrote:In scientific texts is common and for some articles in many journals necessary to make an extra endnote for each reference. These journals also demand that within the text more than 2 subsequent reference numbers should be written like: 2-5. If open office should be really an alternative for usage in scientific writing at universities the correct implementation of a feature as given in MS-office is absolutely vital. Otherwise the open office writer is not usable for millions of students and scientists.
The work around decribed above leads to terrible spaces if you have more reference (e.g. 23-30) So at the moment I have to stick to MS-Word.
This is the user community forum. We don't have the power to change OOo. The only way to get this implemented is by filing an enhancement request at the Apache issue tracker or by joining the dev mailing list and asking for it there.
Nederlandstalig forum