Converting MS Works

Not sure where to post? Post here!
Bill1947

Converting MS Works

Post by Bill1947 »

Welcome beginner. What is your question or comment?
Please try to briefly and clearly tell us: What you want, What you tried, and What happened.

I have been using ms works for years-and I want to convert my database and spreadsheet files. How do I do this?

Thank you,
Bill (bhowell1980<at>msn.com)
OOo 2.3.X on Ms Windows XP
TheGurkha
Volunteer

Re: converting msworks

Post by TheGurkha »

Hi and welcome to the forums.

OOo does not natively support MSWorks files, but NeoOffice, an OOO 'derivative' does.

But if you still have access tto Works you might be able to open your docs and save them as RTF or CSV or some other format that OOO does know about.

See this thread: Convert MS /Works Database files.
Ubuntu 14.10 Utopic Unicorn, LibreOffice Version: 4.3.3.2
Gurkha Welfare Trust
Arineckaig
Volunteer

Re: converting msworks

Post by Arineckaig »

If you still have your Works program you should have no problem saving a spreadsheet as an Excel file that can then be opened directly by Calc: most formulae will copy across correctly.

In the case of Works database files I have found an alternative to CSV or RTF routes, which is usual safer if you have many records but relatively few fields, is to copy and paste to a Calc file. Open the Works DB file in List View; click the top left corner to select all; copy and paste into the second row of a new OOo Calc file. Usually you can simply click OK on the Text Import dialog, and all the data will appear without errors, but only as text, in the Calc file. The field headings row, however, will not have been copied across, so you will need to type the required field headings into the empty top row. Once you have the data in a Calc spreadsheet it can readily be imported into a OOo Base table.
When this issue has been resolved, it would help other users of the forum if you add the word - [Solved] - to the Subject line of your 1st post (edit button top right).
AOOo 4.1.5 & LO 6 on MS Windows 10 MySQL and HSQLDB
Bill1947

Re: Converting MS Works

Post by Bill1947 »

Thank you, I willtry these options and let you know how it works. First what are rtf and csv formats?
TheGurkha
Volunteer

Post by TheGurkha »

Bill1947 wrote:Thank you, I willtry these options and let you know how it works. First what are rtf and csv formats?
CSV
RTF
Gurkha Welfare Trust
Bill1947

Post by Bill1947 »

Hello all,

Thank you very much for your input. I have decided to just retype all my db's and sprdshts. rather than try to convert my files. I am not bright enough nor patient enough to learn. Once I retype all my files, I believe they can be used in open office or ms office if need be and being retired, I have the time.

Thank you much,
Bill
TheGurkha
Volunteer

Post by TheGurkha »

Ok. The basic golden rule is work in the OOo default formats, .odt for text, .ods for spreadhseets etc.

Then when you need to send a copy to someone who doesn't have OOo you can use File > Save As and choose Microsoft Word 97/2000/XP from the Save as type drop down menu to create a copy to send to them. Then go back to your OOo version to carry on working on it.

Or send them a PDF if they just need to read, not edit. OOo has a PDF buttonright there on the toolbar for this.

If you get stuck come back and let us know.
Gurkha Welfare Trust