Report from query

Getting your data onto paper - or the web - Discussing the reports features of Base
japhyr

Report from query

Post by japhyr »

I am trying to create what I think is a fairly simple report. Starting with Drew Jensen's sample database, http://user.services.openoffice.org/en/ ... php?id=649, I would like to make a report that lists the movies in the database, and the genres for each movie. (The database I am actually working on would list the books and articles I have read, and my notes about those sources.)

The raw data is something like:
Movie: Saw; Genre: Horror
Movie: Chicago; Genre: Musical
Movie: Rocky Horror Picture Show; Genre: Horror, Musical, Comedy

I would like the report to look something like:
Movie------------------------------Genre
Saw---------------------------------Horror
Chicago----------------------------Musical
Rocky Horror Picture Show------Horror, Musical, Comedy

I have created a query that selects just the movie titles and their genres, using an SQL statement. Here are the results of the query:
Movies with Genres Query Results
Movies with Genres Query Results
mwq-query.png (6.54 KiB) Viewed 2448 times
If I right-click the query and use the report wizard, I get something fairly nonsensical with a bunch of latin, like this:
Moview with Genres - Nonsense Report
Moview with Genres - Nonsense Report
mwgReport.png (8.83 KiB) Viewed 2448 times
I know the latin is supposed to be just a placeholder, but I can't figure out how to get the report set up. Any ideas, or an example to follow?
OOo 3.2.0 on Ubuntu 10.04
Villeroy
Volunteer

Re: Report from query

Post by Villeroy »

You opened the report in edit mode and get the editable layout with place holders. Just double-click the stored report in the reports container.
Please, edit this topic's initial post and add "[Solved]" to the subject line if your problem has been solved.
Ubuntu 18.04 with LibreOffice 6.0, latest OpenOffice and LibreOffice
japhyr

Post by japhyr »

I hope it's that simple. I have double-clicked the report, and right-click opened it, with the same results. Here is what I did, exactly:

Made a query from an SQL statement:

Code: Select all

SELECT "Movie"."Title", "Genre"."Genre Name" FROM "Movie", "Genre", "MovieGenre" WHERE "MovieGenre"."MovieID" = "Movie"."MovieID" AND "Genre"."GenreID" = "MovieGenre"."GenreID"
Right-click the query, and select Report Wizard.
Which fields? Query: MoviesWithGenres, all fields (Title, Genre Name)
Labels? Default
Grouping: Groupings>Title
Sort Options: Sort by Title
Layout: Defaults
Create: Create Report Now

I click Finish, and it shows latin. The screenshot in the first post is from a report with no groupings, but either way I end up seeing latin when I open the report. Am I doing something wrong to open the report, or am I missing something else?
OOo 3.2.0 on Ubuntu 10.04
Villeroy
Volunteer

Post by Villeroy »

japhyr wrote:Am I doing something wrong to open the report, or am I missing something else?
Again, I think the software is wrong. I never use reports. My only working database uses spreadsheet reports for the sake of simplicity and because I need pivot tables from numerical data. I gave up trying the infamous SRB. The latest version 1.0.5 may work as documented or not.
Please, edit this topic's initial post and add "[Solved]" to the subject line if your problem has been solved.
Ubuntu 18.04 with LibreOffice 6.0, latest OpenOffice and LibreOffice