Disable welcome screen

Issues installing under the Mac OSX - X11 - Aqua
tomaskyska

Disable welcome screen

Post by tomaskyska »

Hi, I don't know, where I can disable welcome screen in OO 3.0 (OS X 10.5).
Welcome screen contains: new text document, open calc document... etc).

When I click on OO icon, I need automaticly new text document, no dialogs... thanx!
Sorry for my stupid english :-)
OOo 3.0.X on Mac OSx Leopard
AJB-work

Re: Disable welcome screen

Post by AJB-work »

Instead of disabling the OpenOffice Quickstarter why not create a desktop shortcut to OpenOffice Writer? It is in the start menu. Navigate to it and then Right click and drag it onto the desktop and select Copy here. Then when you want to use Writer just double click on this new shortcut.
OOo 3.0.X on Ms Windows XP
tomaskyska

Post by tomaskyska »

Start menu? What do you think? In OS X or in Open Office? Thanx...
AJB-work

Post by AJB-work »

tomaskyska wrote:Start menu? What do you think? In OS X or in Open Office? Thanx...
Sorry :oops: I am in Windows and didn't think to look at what you are in. Is it possible to just create a new shortcut or desktop icon for the Writer component? I was referring to the Start Menu for Windows.

I have never used your OS so I will not muddy the waters further..
OOo 3.0.X on Ms Windows XP
tomaskyska

Post by tomaskyska »

In OS X is only one application - Open Office. All applications are - All In One... :-(
kabing
Volunteer

Post by kabing »

What happens when you click and hold on the OpenOffice.org icon on the Dock? Are you given a choice of what type of new document to open?

I use NeoOffice--an independent port/fork of OpenOffice.org 2.2.1--and I'm given that choice, but I don't have OOo 3.0 for Mac, so I'm not sure if that's an option there.

kabing
NeoOffice (app store version) OpenOffice.org 4.1 and LibreOffice 4.3 on Mac OS X El Capitan
OpenOffice.org 4.1.2 on Windows 10 (Previously on Vista)
lgusaas
Volunteer

Post by lgusaas »

kabing wrote:What happens when you click and hold on the OpenOffice.org icon on the Dock? Are you given a choice of what type of new document to open?

I use NeoOffice--an independent port/fork of OpenOffice.org 2.2.1--and I'm given that choice, but I don't have OOo 3.0 for Mac, so I'm not sure if that's an option there.

kabing
If OO.o 3.0 is already open you get that option. You don't get it if OO.o is not already started.
Larry I. Gusaas
Moose Jaw, SK Canada
"An artist is never ahead of his time but most people are far behind theirs." Edgard Varese
Apache OpenOffice 4.1.14 — MacBook Air (M1)—macOS Ver.13.5 Ventura
acknak

Post by acknak »

Also having never used OSX, I hesitate to say anything, but both the Windows and Linux installations of OOo3 include menu items for each of the OOo applications in the system application menu. Doesn't MacOS have some menu like that? If so, that's where I'd look.

Also, is it not possible to create new launchers for the dock? Look at the OOo launcher properties, it should have a command line text somewhere in the properties that serves to start the OOo application. All you have to do (in Windows or Linux anyway) is add "-writer" onto the end of the command to skip the "Start Center" and go immediately to a blank text document.

Sorry if this is just adding to the confusion, but I can't imagine that dealing with this on OSX is all that different.
AOO4/LO5 • Linux • Fedora 23
kabing
Volunteer

Post by kabing »

I forgot to check clicking and holding on the icon when the app was closed. Sorry about that. :oops:

One simple solution is to create templates for the various components (Writer, Calc, etc.) and put them on the dock. Then choose them and not the OpenOffice.org icon when you want to work with that module. This should work whether the app is open or closed at the beginning.

acknack: I'm not following your suggestion, so I'm guessing there's not an easy way to do that in Mac OSX. There are a couple of geekier solutions for NeoOffice, but I'm not sure any of them would work with OpenOffice.org 3.0 without modification, and I don't understand those solutions well enough to modify them.

kabing
NeoOffice (app store version) OpenOffice.org 4.1 and LibreOffice 4.3 on Mac OS X El Capitan
OpenOffice.org 4.1.2 on Windows 10 (Previously on Vista)
tomaskyska

Post by tomaskyska »

Why I have installed OpenOffice on OSX, .doc documents have a blank icon (only open documents are OK)?
amaloney

Post by amaloney »

------------
Al Maloney
Using OOo_Dev_DEV300 and LO 3.4.1 on Mac OS X 10.6.8
"Velox Versutus Vigilans"
YoCraig

Post by YoCraig »

tomaskyska wrote:Hi, I don't know, where I can disable welcome screen in OO 3.0 (OS X 10.5).

When I click on OO icon, I need automaticly new text document, no dialogs... thanx!
I agree...the welcome screen is nice the first few times you see it, but if you're not new to OOo, then it definitely gets in the way. I too would like to see OOo start with a blank document, just like in the X11 versions did.

No offense to the people who have tried to tackle this question, but they don't understand the way OOo runs on a Mac. There is only one OOo application on the Mac (it is not divided into modules) and in the X11 version, at least, you were able to set which function OOo would start in (Writer Calc, etc.) I would like to be able to do that in v3.0. Instead we get on launch what the features page calls the "Start Center". I'd like to be able to turn that off.
OOo 3.0.X on Mac OSx other
lgusaas
Volunteer

Post by lgusaas »

YoCraig wrote:
tomaskyska wrote:Hi, I don't know, where I can disable welcome screen in OO 3.0 (OS X 10.5).

I agree...the welcome screen is nice the first few times you see it, but if you're not new to OOo, then it definitely gets in the way. I too would like to see OOo start with a blank document, just like in the X11 versions did.
I've lost count of the number of people new to OO.o on Macs who have asked were to get the other programs. Because OO.o always opened with Writer they thought they hadn't downloaded the other components. Now, people want it to work the way it used to. Personally, I prefer the new method of opening. I believe this is common now to all operating systems.
No offense to the people who have tried to tackle this question, but they don't understand the way OOo runs on a Mac. There is only one OOo application on the Mac (it is not divided into modules) and in the X11 version, at least, you were able to set which function OOo would start in (Writer Calc, etc.) I would like to be able to do that in v3.0. Instead we get on launch what the features page calls the "Start Center". I'd like to be able to turn that off.
You seem to have missed the post before yours. Al gave a link for Individual Application Launchers for OpenOffice.org.
http://stuporglue.org/openoffice.org-aqua-launchers.php
I have the icon for writer (the application I use most of the time) on my dock. If I want a different component, I use the normal Icon and select the component I want. If I start using other components regularly, I will put the icons for them on either the dock or desktop as well.
Larry I. Gusaas
Moose Jaw, SK Canada
"An artist is never ahead of his time but most people are far behind theirs." Edgard Varese
YoCraig

Post by YoCraig »

tomaskyska wrote:I've lost count of the number of people new to OO.o on Macs who have asked were to get the other programs. Because OO.o always opened with Writer they thought they hadn't downloaded the other components. Now, people want it to work the way it used to. Personally, I prefer the new method of opening. I believe this is common now to all operating systems.
You would've been counting me if I had complained, but I liked OOo with out a Startup Center so I didn't complain!! :)

People complained about the lack of a unifying Startup Screen when there wasn't one. People who were happy with that behavior were silent. Now the situation is reversed. Sounds like a perfect example of a need for a preference to make everyone happy.

Actually, I could live with the extra click that the Welcome Screen requires. What bugs the hell out of me and is VERY irritating is the size of the new document window that automatically opens behind the Startup Screen; it's all wrong!! I have to resize it each time! After I resize the awkwardly sized new document window, all subsequent new document windows are correct. If I double-click an old OOo document in the Finder the correct window size is remembered. If the Startup Screen window would remember how I like my document windows, I wouldn't have posted.
lgusaas
Volunteer

Post by lgusaas »

YoCraig wrote:What bugs the hell out of me and is VERY irritating is the size of the new document window that automatically opens behind the Startup Screen; it's all wrong!! I have to resize it each time! After I resize the awkwardly sized new document window, all subsequent new document windows are correct. If I double-click an old OOo document in the Finder the correct window size is remembered. If the Startup Screen window would remember how I like my document windows, I wouldn't have posted.
Open OO.o. When the Starup Screen window appears change the size and position of it to what you want your document window to be. Quit OO.o. Restart OO.o. The Startup Screen will open to the size you set it to. Select Writer. It will open to the same size you set the Startup Screen
Last edited by lgusaas on Sat Nov 29, 2008 6:07 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Larry I. Gusaas
Moose Jaw, SK Canada
YoCraig

Post by YoCraig »

lgusaas wrote:Open OO.o. When the Starup Screen window appears change the size and position of it to what you want your document window to be. Quit OO.o. Restart OO.o. The Startup Screen will you to the size you set it to. Select Writer. It will open to the same size you set the Startup Screen
That Works!! Hahahahahhah!! Yes! Yes! LOL!!! Yess!! Haha!!! Thank you thank you thank you!!!! All is well with my correctly sized StartupScreen!! Yeah it adds one extra click but so what!!! Haha!! Thanks!!! I still think there should be a preference but eh not such a big deal anymore. Thanks!!!
Hagar Delest

Post by Hagar Delest »

Back to the initial problem, there is also that method: [Solved] Eliminate 3.0 Start Center.
LibreOffice 7.6.2.1 on Xubuntu 23.10 and 7.6.4.1 portable on Windows 10
amaloney

Post by amaloney »

------------
Al Maloney
Using OOo_Dev_DEV300 and LO 3.4.1 on Mac OS X 10.6.8
"Velox Versutus Vigilans"