[Solved] Login problems

Let us know how we are doing -
acknak

[Solved] Login problems

Post by acknak »

Do users who successfully register, but then have trouble logging in, have any private way to ask for help?

Posting the confirmation email to a high-traffic public mailing list is not the best way to handle this kind of problem ;-)
http://permalink.gmane.org/gmane.comp.o ... ons/173118

It would be easy to dismiss this as best handled with a cluestick, but I think it may be a somewhat understandable mistake: 1) the registration email does not give any guidance, 2) it's not so clear that the forum is not part of OO.org, and 3) I guess some people are not so clear on what a mailing list is.

Could we add a private email address on the registration message, "If you have trouble logging in to the forum, email help@oucv.org", or something like that?
Last edited by Hagar Delest on Mon Sep 30, 2013 10:04 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: tagged [Solved].
AOO4/LO5 • Linux • Fedora 23
DrewJensen
Volunteer

Re: Login problems

Post by DrewJensen »

Actually - if they simply REPLY to the email they receive it will route to the Administrive email account - which in turns routes to Terry, Clayton and my personal email accounts.

That is also covered in a post Terry put up on the board.

I suppose we do want an obvious ( yet tastefully unobstrusive ) "Contact Admin" type of link on the main page however.
 Edit: That doesn't require that you be logged in to use... 
Former member of The Document Foundation
Former member of Apache OpenOffice PMC
LibreOffice on Ubuntu 18.04
acknak

Post by acknak »

Great--I figured there was something in place that people could use, if they know how.

I know the registration email is size-constrained, but I think there should be something on there. Even a link to the "Contact admin", or "just reply to this email" would help.

The same could appear with the registration instructions, although that page will likely not be visible by the time they need login help. Duh--I guess the login page is the place for it. Sorry, time for another caffeine infusion.
AOO4/LO5 • Linux • Fedora 23
tom11

Post by tom11 »

DrewJensen wrote:Actually - if they simply REPLY to the email they receive it will route to the Administrive email account - which in turns routes to Terry, Clayton and my personal email accounts.

That is also covered in a post Terry put up on the board.

I suppose we do want an obvious ( yet tastefully unobstrusive ) "Contact Admin" type of link on the main page however.
 Edit: That doesn't require that you be logged in to use... 
I have clicked on my main registration link and I can never login unless I google my forum question page and then click on my ID.

Even once logged in, if I click an OO.o link another page: http://www.8daysaweek.co.uk/forums/viewtopic.php?t=34

it says I am not logged in.
OOo 2.3.X on Ms Windows XP
DrewJensen
Volunteer

Post by DrewJensen »

Hello Tom,

I'm a bit confused you can log in or you can not log in? In your post you give a link to a different forum at a different site on the internet and I don't understand what that is meant to represent?

Thanks
tom11

Post by tom11 »

Hi Drew,
Me posting that link was a blonde moment, but in defence it was given on one of this forum threads, is about OO.o and has the OO.o layout.

The rest of what I said is abit of an issue.... I cant just go to any page on the forum and login with tom11 and usual simple password because it will tell me I have got the wrong password or ID or some such thing. But if I click on my profile then the login box appears with my name and password in it.

If I was at another PC I might struggle, because it won't even recognize my email address.

The only way I get in is by finding one of my posts and from this PC
DrewJensen
Volunteer

Post by DrewJensen »

OK - thanks for the clarification...

hmm - you go to any arbitrary page and try to logon and it says...don't know you...go your profile page by clicking on your user name and then logon and it does..

Well, first time I have heard of this problem from anyone - off to take a look at your account info, etc...be back soon with what, if anything, I find.
 Edit: Well, there is nothing that appears to be amiss with your user account - nor any kind of anomaly with your profile settings, permissions, etc.

Just re-reading your last post
But if I click on my profile then the login box appears with my name and password in it
I'm willing to bet that your password is not what you think it is...l've done that before at a different site.

I would suggest you try reseting your password to something fresh, then setting it back to your 'usual' password - wouldn't be surprised if that clears it up for you.. 
tom11

Tried this morning and everything is working fine

Post by tom11 »

Tried this morning and everything is working fine.

I did have the right password, but since all is working now, rather than bringing in the UN commission for computer users mini grievances, I think I will just right it off as a little bit of sparrow shit that happened.

The commission may find that I provoked the sparrow in some way anyway :D
DrewJensen
Volunteer

Post by DrewJensen »

yes - or that the Sparrow is the member of some obscure sub-species, protected to high heaven and your simple act of disturbing it has placed you onto some watch list...

hmm - maybe I'm getting a bit far fetched.... :ugeek:
Brucerltr

Re: [Solved] Login problems

Post by Brucerltr »

I just managed to log in. I registered a few minutes ago only so maybe time was a factor but I did receive the email to validate my account:

Welcome to Apache OpenOffice Community Forum forums

Please keep this e-mail for your records. Your account information is as
follows:

----------------------------
Username: Brucerltr

Board URL: http://forum.openoffice.org/en/forum
----------------------------

Please visit the following link in order to activate your account:

http://forum.openoffice.org/en/forum/uc ... 2&k=JI2U0X

I clicked on the link (above).
However, when I went to sign in the site said:

"The specified username is currently inactive. If you have problems activating your account, please contact a board administrator."

It was good that the problem seemed to resolve itself because I tried for some minutes to find a "Board administrator that I could contact. I found some answering questions in the forum but when I clicked on their name it took me to the logon screen, which erred on me with the same message as above.
An infinite loop, it appears.
Bruce Boyle
Open Office 4.1.4
Windows 8.1