[Issue 84603] pdf export yields transparent layer artifacts

Discuss the presentation application
kswenson

[Issue 84603] pdf export yields transparent layer artifacts

Post by kswenson »

I have an empty layer with a bitmap filling the area that I use as a transparent mask so that I can pick with precision which parts I would like not to be shaded. For instance, in the below picture I want the word "Order" to be highlighted on the slide:
See the artifacts of the transparent layer that masks everything but the work "Order".
See the artifacts of the transparent layer that masks everything but the work "Order".
To recreate the problem...
1) Make a normal "Title, Text" slide.
2) Use a backgroud from a bitmap that you like.
3) Make a polygon of the "filled" type that covers everything but the highlighted area.
-- (make sure it stretches from the top left of your slide to the bottom right)
4) right-click on this area and do "area" and then click the "bitmaps" tab. import the same bitmap as your background.
5) now click the "Area" tab in the same window, Change the fill to bitmap and choose the picture you imported. unchoose "tile" and choose "autofit"
6) right-click on this area and do "line". now choose under "line properties" the "Style" "invisible. (i also tried to make the line syle solid but transparent and it did the same)
7) now export to pdf and view the pdf. observe the arifacts

Thanks for any help you can give.

I'm running Mandriva with oo version 2.2.1
Last edited by kswenson on Mon Jan 07, 2008 6:06 pm, edited 2 times in total.
acknak

Re: export to pdf yeilds transpart layer artifacts around edges

Post by acknak »

Sounds like the same issue discussed here: http://user.services.openoffice.org/en/ ... ?f=7&t=856

Why do you want to fill the mask with the background image? Why don't you just make the mask pure black, but 50% transparent?
AOO4/LO5 • Linux • Fedora 23
kswenson

Re: export to pdf yeilds transpart layer artifacts around edges

Post by kswenson »

acknak wrote:Sounds like the same issue discussed here: http://user.services.openoffice.org/en/ ... ?f=7&t=856
Yes acknak, it looks like the same problem. The heading isn't related so I didn't find this one.

I guess I have to hope the issue gets resolved soon as I usually have to give my talk with whatever hardware/software they have available...
the resulting quality from the pdf export depends greatly on the viewer that is used :(
acknak wrote:Why do you want to fill the mask with the background image? Why don't you just make the mask pure black, but 50% transparent?
If the mask is anything but the background image itself, then the parts you mask out, including the background, are darker than they should be.

Thanks for pointing me in the right direction with the link.
acknak

Re: [Issue 84603] pdf export yeilds transparent layer artifacts

Post by acknak »

Ack! Right; of course. :oops:

Well, why not just do it using the font colors of the text? If you create a style based on your normal style, but using a darker font color, it shouldn't be too hard to select and highlight a word. Or maybe you need to highlight an area, not simply a word.

There is also an animation effect that can highlight a word or phrase, but I find animations in Impress to be, um, disappointing, to say the least.

PS: If you have a sample handy, I would suggest you add that to the issue, with an explanation of what you did and how you think it's related to the issue. If it is something different, then maybe the developers will expand the fix to include your problem in Impress.
kswenson

Post by kswenson »

OK, done.
Issue 84603

Thanks again for the help.
And OO is getting real nice to use these days...
hope to get this small issue fixed some time.
Last edited by kswenson on Tue Jan 08, 2008 12:31 pm, edited 1 time in total.
kswenson

Post by kswenson »

acknak wrote: Well, why not just do it using the font colors of the text? If you create a style based on your normal style, but using a darker font color, it shouldn't be too hard to select and highlight a word. Or maybe you need to highlight an area, not simply a word.
Is it possible highlight some text and make only that text transparent?
acknak

Post by acknak »

I don't think Impress can render transparent text at all. As far as I know, only area fills can be transparent.

I meant only to change the text colors to de-emphasize or highlight parts of the text. Of course that won't do anything for elements on the slide that are not text.