[Solved] Template Does Not Hold on Existing Documents

Using them, Making them, Finding them
Mogul12

[Solved] Template Does Not Hold on Existing Documents

Post by Mogul12 »

I am new to Open Office but I am having a big problem. I am using the latest, version 3, for MAC, but I don't know if this problem is specific to MAC.

My problem is that the default template I created doesn't hold when I open up an existing document. For Example, when I create a new text document my template works with no problem. I have created keyboard shortcuts and formatting styles in this template, and they all initially work. However, when I close the document, after saving it, and I reopen it, the formatting styles are no longer active. I have made my template the default one, and works every time I create a new document. But once that document is closed and reopened, the shortcuts no longer work. If anyone can help I would greatly appreciate it.

--Greg
Last edited by Hagar Delest on Sun Mar 19, 2017 6:54 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: tagged [Solved].
OOo 3.0.X on Mac OSx Leopard
bobban
Volunteer

Re: Template Does Not Hold on Existing Documents

Post by bobban »

Haven't got an exact answer for you, but I can say that this works fine on my system.

It sounds like the problem might be the styles. If these are disappearing from your document, then any associated shortcut key will not work. Styles are actually saved within the document, so as a general test just make a new document, and create a new style, then save the document. If you close and reopen the document is this style available? If not there is a problem.

When a style is saved in the template it is simply part of that default document, and as you work on your document and save it there is no reason they should not remain afaik. :?
OOo 3.1.1 on Ms Windows XP
acknak

Post by acknak »

I believe there are some serious bugs affecting templates in OOo 3 on the Mac. There have been several such reports here.
AOO4/LO5 • Linux • Fedora 23
Mogul12

Post by Mogul12 »

I guess there must be a problem with my styles holding then. When I open, a previously created document, I checked and found that my styles are no longer there, so my shortcuts do not work. I have yet to find a way to fix this problem, and it is a big problem that might have to cause me to buy Microsoft Office for Mac.
OOo 3.0.X on Mac OSx Leopard
acknak

Post by acknak »

OOo on other platforms (Win, Linux) does not have these problems, so I expect it will be relatively simple to fix for the Mac.

The next updates are scheduled for mid-January, and late March http://user.services.openoffice.org/en/ ... 49&t=12234, I would be very surprised if the problem is not resolved in a few weeks.
AOO4/LO5 • Linux • Fedora 23
Hagar Delest

Post by Hagar Delest »

Known bug for Mac users. Fixed in 3.0.1: [Issue] Retain default template setting upon quitting OOo.
LibreOffice 7.6.2.1 on Xubuntu 23.10 and 7.6.4.1 portable on Windows 10