Capital "varepsilon"

Discuss the formula editor
MatrixFrog

Capital "varepsilon"

Post by MatrixFrog »

I'm working on something where I often need to refer to the emf (electromagnetic force) which is denoted by a capital epsilon. But not the capital epsilon that looks like an E. The one that looks like a backward 3. I found out that you can type %varepsilon and get a lowercase version of it, but %VAREPSILON doesn't give you the capital verson. I've been just using the lowercase version but it's not ideal, especially because it's easily confused with %epsilon which is permittivity, a totally different concept.

Any ideas?
OOo 2.0.X on Ms Windows XP
acknak

Re: Capital "varepsilon"

Post by acknak »

I'm not sure there is a capital version of "varepsilon." I can't find any character in Unicode with "epsilon" in it's name that looks like varepsilon, except the lowercase symbols. Capital epsilons always look like a western "E".

Can you provide an image of the symbol, or a link to an article where it's used? Maybe it goes under a different name.

Anyway, if you can find the symbol you want, you can define your own name for it in OOo Math (see Tools > Catalog), or you can insert it using it's Unicode character code.
AOO4/LO5 • Linux • Fedora 23
RGB

Post by RGB »

As far as I know, there is no "capital varepsilon". Maybe you are looking for %xi
There are two types of people: those who believe that there are two types of people and those who do not.

openSUSE Leap with KDE Plasma / LibreOffice
MatrixFrog

Post by MatrixFrog »

It probably does go under a different name. In any case, here's what I mean: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Electromotive_force

It's described in there as a "script capital E" so maybe I should just start roaming through scripty fonts looking for something that looks right?

%xi is close, but not quite it.
OOo 2.0.X on Ms Windows XP
RGB

Post by RGB »

That symbol is unicode 0190. You need to find a font that contains it and add that symbol to Math:
http://user.services.openoffice.org/en/ ... =125&p=550
There are two types of people: those who believe that there are two types of people and those who do not.

openSUSE Leap with KDE Plasma / LibreOffice