Converting from .odp to .ppt

Discuss the presentation application
chue03

Converting from .odp to .ppt

Post by chue03 »

I've got a presentation to be done for tomorrow, and have most of it typed up on Open Office. I tried to open the file at work this morning in PowerPoint, and it wouldn't work. Windows doesn't even recognise the file type. Any suggestions as to what I could do to get PowerPoint to open it?
Phil
Volunteer

Re: Converting from .odp to .ppt

Post by Phil »

Hi,

you need to go to Save as in OpenOffice Impress and (in the dialog that comes up) choose "Microsoft PowerPoint 97/2000/XP (*.ppt) as the file type.
That should work.

KR, phil
OOo 3.0.1 & DEV-3.1 • WinXP pro 32-bit + SP3 + current patches
Looking for OpenOffice-related information? Try the search engine on OpenOfficeNinja - a great tool!
My favorite extension: Alt. Find & Replace for Writer. All you need and much more...
OOo 2.4.X on Ms Windows XP
ccornell
Volunteer

Post by ccornell »

Another option - if you are allowed to install software on the computer with MS Office - is to install the Sun ODF Plugin for MS Office: http://www.sun.com/software/star/odf_plugin

"The Sun ODF Plugin for Microsoft Office gives users of Microsoft Office Word, Excel and PowerPoint the ability to read, edit and save to the ISO-standard Open Document Format (ODF)."
openSUSE 11.4, KDE4.6 with OpenOffice.org 3.3
chue03

Post by chue03 »

I don't have Open Office here at work, just the .odp file. Is there any way to convert the file into a .ppt one, or at least view it? I've tried the Gmail presentation viewer, but it doesn't seem to support the file type. Is there any web-based program that might?
ccornell
Volunteer

Post by ccornell »

There are many online document converters such as:
http://media-convert.com/
or
http://www.zamzar.com/

I cannot speak for the quality or reliability... I just know they exist.
openSUSE 11.4, KDE4.6 with OpenOffice.org 3.3
pariah

Post by pariah »

you need to go to Save as in OpenOffice Impress and (in the dialog that comes up) choose "Microsoft PowerPoint 97/2000/XP (*.ppt) as the file type.
That should work.
I keep trying to do this and I'm still getting this message: "This document may contain formatting or content that cannot be saved in the Microsoft PowerPoint 97/2000/XP file format. Do you want to save this document in that format anyway?"

Even when I try saving it anyway, none of the images in my PowerPoint presentation show up.
OOo 2.3.X on Ms Windows W2k + None
Phil
Volunteer

Post by Phil »

Hi pariah and welcome to the community!

The message is just a general warning message, as there is no 100% compatibility when exporting to .ppt files.
However, from my experience, compatibility is very good and works in most cases, even for complex presentations.

Which exact version of OpenOffice are you using? You can check it via Help > About.
You may try to upgrade to the newest version 3.0 or to 2.4.2 if you like to stick to the old line (which may be advantageous as version 3.0 has some considerable bugs).
Both versions are available from the official download site

Have you inserted the images as links? Maybe this causes the problem (although linked images are normally embedded when exporting to .ppt files).
You can check this via Edit > Links. In case there are any (if there are none, the menu tiem Links is greyed out), then you can try to break the links before exporting.

If this doesn't help, I suggest that you post a sample .odp document here, if you agree to disclose it.

This is done by clicking on the Upload attachment tab below the editing window when writing a post.
If the file size is larger than 128k, use some file sharing web site like mediafire.com.

Regards, phil
Looking for OpenOffice-related information? Try the search engine on OpenOfficeNinja - a great tool!
My favorite extension: Alt. Find & Replace for Writer. All you need and much more...
michal

Post by michal »

I cannot save my file as ppt - I get a message - thisdocument may contain formatting that cannot be saved in power point... and if i go on I get a write error
OOo 2.3.X on MS Windows Vista
Phil
Volunteer

Post by Phil »

Hi michal also to you and welcome to the community!

A write error should be a different thing. What if you try to save documents as .odp files - does that work?
Does the .ppt file maybe already exist?
You could also try to save to a different location (drive or folder).

Hope that helps,
phil
barczd

Post by barczd »

www.zamzar.com will convert anything to anything.
Open Office 3.1 on MAC
zalvernaz

Post by zalvernaz »

ccornell wrote:There are many online document converters such as:
http://media-convert.com/
or
http://www.zamzar.com/

I cannot speak for the quality or reliability... I just know they exist.
I have used http://www.zamzar.com/ many times for everything from conversions from pdf to jpeg and everything else. This website is wonderful and will email the converted document to you. However, unless you're willing to pay, they only keep the file on the server for 24 hours. Most files (even video files and lossless audio such as .wav) take no more than 15 minutes to convert. Less for smaller files.
OpenOfficePortable 3.2 on Windows Vista
Cambirder
Volunteer

Post by Cambirder »

www.zamzar.com will convert anything to anything
Try converting a Excel spreadsheet containing a bunch of VBA macros and I think you will find your statement is not true.
OOo 3.3 on Windows 7 & 3.2.1 on Mint 10
Liyanaa

Post by Liyanaa »

Now I have done all my work, but the problem is transfering the .odp into .ppt or pps.. It just doesn't work. I tried everything from coverting using 'zamzar ' and 'media-convert.com'

To be specific, I have got this error pop-up saying...
"Error saving the document diordg:
Write Error.
The file could not be written"

"Powerpoint was unable to display some of the text,images or objects on slides in the file (name of file).ppt , because they have become corrupted. Affected slides have been replaced by blank slides in the presentation and it is not possible to recover the lost information . To ensure that the file can be opened in the previous versions of powerpoint , use the Save As command (File menu) and save the file with either the same or a new name ."

"Powerpoint cant open C:/ Documents and Settings / HP_Owner/ desktop/Liyana/(name of file).ppt because part of the file is missing ."

Please i need help and fast :?
OpenOffice 3.3.0 on Windows
RoryOF

Post by RoryOF »

Does it display correctly on the original machine if you use OpenOffice Impress?
Apache OpenOffice 4.1.15 on Xubuntu 22.04.4 LTS
pgallagher45

Post by pgallagher45 »

I have the same problem. it does display correctly on the original machine using OpenOffice Impress.
OpenOffice 3.1 on Windows XP
RoryOF

Post by RoryOF »

You may need to check, on the original computer using the .odt file that the illustrations are embedded, not linked - / Edit / Links. If so, break the links using the facility in /Edit / Links, then remake your Powerpoint version (/File/ Save /As, Office 97, check "automatic Filename Extension checkbox).
Apache OpenOffice 4.1.15 on Xubuntu 22.04.4 LTS
pgallagher45

Post by pgallagher45 »

They are not linked
OpenOffice 3.1 on Windows XP
krummholz

Post by krummholz »

I struggled with this for a few hours, and finally resorted to exporting (File>Export...) the file from .odp to .pdf, and viewing it on my non-Open Office machine in .pdf. Not a clean solution, but it worked fine to get my presentation viewable. Note: In your .pdf viewer, don't forget to go to View>Single Page, or else you might see your presentation in a continuous scroll, not as individual slides.
OpenOffice 3.3.0 on Mac OSX 10.7.5