How do I remove an image wrapped "in background"?

Discuss the word processor
bbt5001

Post by bbt5001 »

I am using OpenOffice 3.0.0

I recently created a 1-page document in Writer. This was to be sent out for comment so I included a "DRAFT" watermark. I did this by selecting the Text tool ("T" on the drawing tool bar), set the font size and color, and typed in DRAFT. After I positioned this object on the page I rotated it (select the text box, right click -> Position and Size, Rotation tab, set to -55 degrees), then set it in the background (right click ->Wrap -> In Background).

I have since incorporated the feedback into the document, but could not remove the background image. There just seems to be no sane way to select this watermark. I tried using the Selection tool (the Arrow on the Drawing toolbar), but that did not work if the page had text on it. I tried inserting a manual page break at the beginning, hoping all the text I wanted would be shifted to another page so that the watermark would be by itself, but the watermark shifted with the rest of the text - apparently it was anchored to Paragraph. I tried using the Document Navigator, but this object does not show up.

I was finally able to remove the watermark by (1) selecting most of the text on the page, (2) deleting it(!), (3) use the selection tool to create a large selection box that encompassed the watermark - I was able to select it! (4) setting the wrap to "Wrap Through" (5) pasting back in the text I cut out. At this point I was able to select the watermark and delete it.

Temporarily deleting text that you intend to keep is bad form. Is there a better way to remove an object like this?
OOo 3.0.X on Ms Windows XP + Linux
Villeroy
Volunteer

Re: How do I remove an image wrapped "in background"?

Post by Villeroy »

Call the navigator (key F5), select it from there and hit the Del key.
Please, edit this topic's initial post and add "[Solved]" to the subject line if your problem has been solved.
Ubuntu 18.04 with LibreOffice 6.0, latest OpenOffice and LibreOffice
bbt5001

Post by bbt5001 »

Villeroy wrote:
Call the navigator (key F5), select it from there and hit the Del key.

Nope, sorry. As I said in my original post the text object does not appear anywhere in the Navigator.

Tip: I created a new document to make sure I could reproduce the problem. On thing I discovered is that if you create a watermark in this manner, be sure to anchor it to the page. That way the "insert manual page break" trick will work: the page will be empty except for the watermark, so it will be selectable for deletion. Then the page break can be removed restore the text to the page.
OOo 3.0.X on Ms Windows XP + Linux
JohnV
Volunteer

Post by JohnV »

Try Ctrl+Click then the Delete key.
Villeroy
Volunteer

Post by Villeroy »

bbt5001 wrote:Nope, sorry. As I said in my original post the text object does not appear anywhere in the Navigator.
I do not understand why the drawing objects are not shown. However, I can access this type of object by clicking the navigator's 2nd button. I get another tool bar where I can pick drawings (button #8) and then use the arrow buttons to jump from object to object.
Please, edit this topic's initial post and add "[Solved]" to the subject line if your problem has been solved.
Ubuntu 18.04 with LibreOffice 6.0, latest OpenOffice and LibreOffice
acknak

Post by acknak »

Selecting an object behind text:
  • Ctrl+click
  • Use the Drawing toolbar selection cursor to drag a "rubber-band" around the object.
  • Select any other object, then tab through until you get to the one you want.
  • Use the Navigator in "Drawing Navigation" mode.
Drawing objects are not shown in the Navigator unless they have a name.

I couldn't get the Navigator method to work; I'm sure I've missed something obvious. I'll keep trying.
AOO4/LO5 • Linux • Fedora 23
timgclark

Post by timgclark »

Format>Page>Background
-- set As to Color
-- select No fill (or whatever your default background is).
OpenOffice 3.1 on Windows XP
Bill
Volunteer

Post by Bill »

You can also use the Navigation tool at the bottom of the vertical scrollbar to select the drawing. Click the ball and click Drawing, then click one of the arrowheads to select the drawing.
Bazza

Post by Bazza »

The simple procedure from timgclark works like a beauty.
OpenOffice 3.2 on Ubuntu 10.04
Bill
Volunteer

Post by Bill »

timgclark wrote:Format>Page>Background
-- set As to Color
-- select No fill (or whatever your default background is).
Bazza wrote:The simple procedure from timgclark works like a beauty.
That solution is for a different problem, removing a page background image. A page background image is not the same thing as a drawing object wrapped in the background. Format > Page > Background has no effect on a drawing object. Drawing objects must be selected and deleted to remove them.
Bullfrog

Post by Bullfrog »

Using LibreOffice 3.4.4:
In Calc, select the Navigator (star shaped icon or hit F5) and select Graphics. If you have more than one graphics object, they will be listed as Graphics 1 etc. Double click on one of the objects and you will see that object selected on the page. If you want to get rid of it, just press delete.
LibreOffice 3.4.4 on Linux Mint 12