Sue

[Solved] Grid Lines on X axis

Post by Sue »

I am unable to put grid lines on x axis
I have attached the spread sheet the problem graph is Sheet 2 levl vs log d
Attachments
assignment 1 noise pollution copy.ods
(32.65 KiB) Downloaded 361 times
Last edited by Sue on Sun Nov 09, 2008 3:53 pm, edited 2 times in total.
OOo 2.4.X on Ms Windows XP
acknak

Re: Grid Lines on X axis

Post by acknak »

Eh? Your graph already has grid lines on the x-axis: the vertical gray lines.

Also, for plotting a set of value pairs, you probably want to use an X-Y chart, not a line chart.
AOO4/LO5 • Linux • Fedora 23
Sue

Post by Sue »

Thanks for that, but I wanted vertical lines to go up along the graph ie X axis (have I got the axis correct? ( x is horizontal?) so I could take readings, I will try the X Y graph. I have managed it once on the spreadsheet (sheet 1) but couldn't remember how I had done it.
I think it is somthing to do with insert gridlines?
Last edited by Sue on Thu Nov 06, 2008 9:27 am, edited 2 times in total.
Sue

Post by Sue »

Just tried X Y scatter but by log values changed from 1.47 ...etc to 1, 2, 3. 4, etc any ideas?
acknak

Post by acknak »

I wanted vertical lines to go up along the graph ie X axis (have I got the axis correct? ( x is horizontal?) so I could take readings...
You have the axis right, but it's a little tricky talking about the grid lines. The x-axis grid is perpendicular to the x-axis, not parallel, so the x-axis grid lines are vertical. That means that the y-axis grid is horizontal.
Just tried X Y scatter but by log values changed from 1.47 ...etc to 1, 2, 3. 4, etc any ideas?
That's a good start, but unfortunately Calc doesn't guess correctly at the data ranges for the x values. You have to go to Format > Data Ranges > Data Series and assign the x values to the range

The X-Y graph should look like the screenshot below. I've made the X-axis blue and the Y-axis (and y-grid) red.

I should emphasize: I don't know which type of graph is right for your purpose, but it is rather unusual to plot pairs of values on a line plot. In this case the difference is subtle, but you can see that the x-y plot shows that the x values are not distributed evenly, where the line plot makes them look as if they are evenly distributed. If you're trying to interpolate (take readings) based on the graph, you would get the wrong reading from the line plot (although the difference here is small).
Attachments
assignment 1 noise pollution copy_edit.ods
(35.45 KiB) Downloaded 228 times
xy_scatter.png
AOO4/LO5 • Linux • Fedora 23