[Solved] How can I install OpenOffice in a portable form?

Discuss setup / installation issues - Add a spell checker, Language pack?
antoni

[Solved] How can I install OpenOffice in a portable form?

Post by antoni »

Hi,

I do not have a computer of my own but I do have access privileges to the network at the university at which I am employed. Each user on the network has a personal folder (labelled a "G drive" on the system) with 250 MB of disk space accessible from any terminal on the network. I can download OpenOffice to my G drive but when I install the suite it is placed on the hard disk of whichever terminal I am at, and when I end my session on that terminal the suite is deleted. Even if it wasn't, it would still be of little use to me as there are hundreds or thousands of terminals in the network and no guarantee as to which I can use for a given session.

What I am wondering is if there is a way to get OpenOffice installed in my G drive so that I don't have to unpack the suite for each and every new session.

Thanks.
Last edited by antoni on Fri Jan 04, 2008 9:02 pm, edited 1 time in total.
acknak

Re: how can I install OpenOffice in a portable form?

Post by acknak »

Have you asked the Uni to install OOo? Don't they provide you with productivity applications?

Even if you get it to install, OOo is going to chew up almost all of your 250Mb.

Have you tried the new web apps? They're all compatible with the ODF file format used by OOo. Google docs; Ulteo has the actual OOo apps online: http://user.services.openoffice.org/en/ ... f=49&t=798
AOO4/LO5 • Linux • Fedora 23
Caracalla
Volunteer

Re: how can I install OpenOffice in a portable form?

Post by Caracalla »

Just unpack this portable version of OOo to the drive where you want it. acknack is rightthough that it would take up mostof the drive you have. Better, IMO, tobuy a 1GB USB stick (they're dirt cheap these days) and install it to that. Added bonus is that you can then take OOo with you wherever you go.
Has your question been answered? Then please add [solved] to the title of your thread.
My pet peeve, No support for international ordinal numbering
please vote

Er is nu ook een Nederlandstalig forum!
OOo 3.0.X on Ms Windows XP + Opensuse 11.1