[Solved] OpenOffice does not terminate processes

Issues with installing under all versions of MS Windows
GilbertoBRSP2024

[Solved] OpenOffice does not terminate processes

Post by GilbertoBRSP2024 »

After I close my spreadsheets, the OpenOffice Process continues to run, even if I close all files that use it, including the files that appear in the Windows Taskbar.
OPEN OFFICE.jpg
OPEN OFFICE.jpg (33.56 KiB) Viewed 670 times
Last edited by Hagar Delest on Sat Apr 27, 2024 10:57 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: tagged solved.
OpenOffice 4.1, Windows 11 Home Vs 23H2
Hagar Delest

Re: OpenOffice does not terminate processes.

Post by Hagar Delest »

Hi and welcome to the forum!

It takes some time before it is released from memory. I think it's a strategy to speed up the next launch if it occurs within a certain amount of time.
Do you have the quickstarter enabled? If so, switch it off (not sure it is still part of AOO in recent releases).
LibreOffice 24.2 on Xubuntu 24.04 and 7.6.4.1 portable on Windows 10
FJCC

Post by FJCC »

Try going to Tools -> Options, expand the OpenOffice list on the left, select Memory. Turn off the option "Load OpenOffice during system start-up". You can stop the running OpenOffice process by ending the Quickstarter process among the hidden icons in your system tray (if Windows 11 still calls it that) or kill the soffice process in Task Manager.
OpenOffice 4.1 on Windows 10 and Linux Mint
If your question is answered, please go to your first post, select the Edit button, and add [Solved] to the beginning of the title.
LastUnicorn

Re: OpenOffice does not terminate processes

Post by LastUnicorn »

On a Windows 11 system you would be well advised to switch from OpenOffice to LibreOffice. There are several good reasons for this, some of which are given here: [Tutorial] Considering a Switch from OpenOffice to LibreOffice? Some Useful Information

As far as I am aware if you are using the Quick Starter then soffice.bin or soffice.exe will still run in the background even after you 'seemingly' exit OpenOffice.
LibreOffice (Still) 7.6.5.2 (x64) Fully installed to system on Windows 10 and Windows 11
LibreOffice (Still) Portable 7.6.5.2 (x86) [PortableApps] on Windows 10
GilbertoBRSP2024

Hagar Delest wrote: Sat Apr 27, 2024 2:35 pm Hi and welcome to the forum!

It takes some time before it is released from memory. I think it's a strategy to speed up the next launch if it occurs within a certain amount of time.
Do you have the quickstarter enabled? If so, switch it off (not sure it is still part of AOO in recent releases).
I closed the spreadsheet and it remains open in the Taskbar. The spreadsheet should be closed.

FJCC wrote: Sat Apr 27, 2024 2:37 pm Try going to Tools -> Options, expand the OpenOffice list on the left, select Memory. Turn off the option "Load OpenOffice during system start-up". You can stop the running OpenOffice process by ending the Quickstarter process among the hidden icons in your system tray (if Windows 11 still calls it that) or kill the soffice process in Task Manager.
The option is deactivated. OpenOffice does not open on Windows startup. The problem occurs when I start the program and then close it. OpenOffice gets stuck on the Taskbar.

LastUnicorn wrote: Sat Apr 27, 2024 2:39 pm On a Windows 11 system you would be well advised to switch from OpenOffice to LibreOffice. There are several good reasons for this, some of which are given here: [Tutorial] Considering a Switch from OpenOffice to LibreOffice? Some Useful Information

As far as I am aware if you are using the Quick Starter then soffice.bin or soffice.exe will still run in the background even after you 'seemingly' exit OpenOffice.
Thanks for your information, I'll check out the tutorial.
DiGro

Post by DiGro »

Maybe it is inadvertently stuck to the taskbar?

Right-click the icon on the taskbar and detach from Taskbar

AOO 4.1.15 (Dutch) on Windows 11. Scanned with Ziggo Safe Online (F-Secure)
GilbertoBRSP2024

I appreciate everyone's help. I uninstalled OpenOffice and installed LibreOffice.