Some borders do not print

Discuss the spreadsheet application
tapceo

Some borders do not print

Post by tapceo »

I've been using OpenOffice for years. Currently I'm having a new problem that Ivam unable to figure out. I use the Calc version to create a pull list for my shelf stocking job. For some reason the borders on only some of the cells will not print. They look fine on screen in the app and in Print Preview but when I print it out lines do not print. Some of my columns have color fill and where that is the case there is a white line through the color where the line is supposed to be. I tried deleting the rows with the problem and recreated them. Did not correct the problem. I even deleted every other row (every other row is normally blank in the finished version) and the problem persists with the now two data filled rows on top of each other but now border between the ones that had a problem previously. I have tried re-bordering and that dies not correct the issue. I'm stumped. I have a glitch with no apparent solution. Any thoughts?

Thanks in advance for your help.

Edit: Changed subject, was Missing borders 
Make your post understandable by others 
-- MrProgrammer, forum moderator 
Last edited by MrProgrammer on Fri Apr 26, 2024 7:15 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Edited topic's subject
Apache OoenOffice 4.1.15 on a Surface Pro 7+ OS=Windows 11 Home
Zizi64
Volunteer

Re: Missing borders

Post by Zizi64 »

the borders on only some of the cells will not print
Is it happens on same Sheet?
Are you using borders really or do you meant the grid lines?
What color and line thickness do you use for the BORDERS?

They look fine on screen in the app and in Print Preview but when I print it out lines do not print.
Can you upload an ODF type sample file here?
Tibor Kovacs, Hungary; LO7.5.8 /Win7-10 x64Prof.
PortableApps/winPenPack: LO3.3.0-7.6.2;AOO4.1.14
Please, edit the initial post in the topic: add the word [Solved] at the beginning of the subject line - if your problem has been solved.
tapceo

Post by tapceo »

The place I'm getting my lines from is the border menu and I use the last item in the menu which appears to place a border around each and every cell. I've got a file for the spreadsheet which is an ODS file. I don't know how I can get that file to you. Please let me know if there is something I'm missing. I replied with this information yesterday but I don 't know what happened to it.
Zizi64
Volunteer

Post by Zizi64 »

I don't know how I can get that file to you.
Use the Post Reply (but not the Quick reply) and use the Attachments tab under the message editor window.
The file size limit is 128 KiB in this Forum.
Please, edit the initial post in the topic: add the word [Solved] at the beginning of the subject line - if your problem has been solved.
tapceo

Post by tapceo »

Here is the file.
Attachments
Morning Requirements FEB 16th '24.ods
(17.28 KiB) Downloaded 21 times
Hagar Delest

Post by Hagar Delest »

Here is what I see with LibreOffice when printed as PDF.
No issue so far it seems.
Calc.png
Calc.png (21.66 KiB) Viewed 1020 times
LibreOffice 24.2 on Xubuntu 24.04 and 7.6.4.1 portable on Windows 10
MrProgrammer

Post by MrProgrammer »

tapceo wrote: Wed Apr 24, 2024 1:18 am For some reason the borders on only some of the cells will not print.
Your attachment shows that the line size, 0.05 point, which you have chosen for the borders is very small. This is about 1/50 of a millimeter! Perhaps your printer is having difficulty printing lines that fine. Try using a thicker border width. I have no other suggestions for you.

If this solved your problem please go to your first post use the Edit button and add [Solved] to the start of the Subject field. Select the green checkmark icon at the same time.
Mr. Programmer
AOO 4.1.7 Build 9800, MacOS 13.6.3, iMac Intel.   The locale for any menus or Calc formulas in my posts is English (USA).
tapceo

Post by tapceo »

All the border lines are the same size. Why do some lines never print, as many times as I've printed it, yet all the other lines always do print?
tapceo

Re: Some borders do not print

Post by tapceo »

I've been printing a variation of this same file for over two years and just recently started having this issue. It confounds me why it is happening now when it worked prior to this without a problem.
FJCC

Post by FJCC »

Well, it's very hard for people to be sure what the problem is. Have you tried increasing the border thickness as suggested by Mr.Programmer?

The document looks fine in Page Preview and when printed to PDF. So, OpenOffice knows there is a border there. Maybe your printer is getting old?
OpenOffice 4.1 on Windows 10 and Linux Mint
If your question is answered, please go to your first post, select the Edit button, and add [Solved] to the beginning of the title.
Zizi64
Volunteer

Post by Zizi64 »

If you have an inkjet type printer, then try to clean the heads of the cartridge/s/ or get a new cartridge. Some nozzles may be clogged.
RoryOF

Post by RoryOF »

The problem may be caused by the very narrow border width, interacting with an update in the system printer driver. Best option is to increase the border width and see if that permits it to print OK. Remember that Windows updates itself regularly and the printing subsystem may have been adjusted without you being aware of it.
Apache OpenOffice 4.1.15 on Xubuntu 22.04.4 LTS
Hagar Delest

Post by Hagar Delest »

If you print the PDF instead of the file directly, what is the result?
LibreOffice 24.2 on Xubuntu 24.04 and 7.6.4.1 portable on Windows 10
tapceo

Post by tapceo »

Weird. Lines that were missing are now visible. Lines that were visible are now missing with the PDF file printed.
tapceo

Post by tapceo »

I've had it. I will just live with it. Thank you all for attempting a fix. Don't know what the problem is. It just is!
Zizi64
Volunteer

Post by Zizi64 »

Don't know what the problem is. It just is!
Nothing to do with AOO. (Except to make thicker the lines)

Try to upgrade the Printer driver: sometimes the Windows replaces the manufactures's driver to its own driver...
And try to change the cartridge (if you have inkjet printer)
RoryOF

Post by RoryOF »

I agree with Zizi64; make your lines thicker. If they are too obtrusive, put them into a colour, such as a light yellow or blue, and when you print your spreadsheet in Black and White, the colour will render as a light grey.
Apache OpenOffice 4.1.15 on Xubuntu 22.04.4 LTS
Bill
Volunteer

Post by Bill »

tapceo wrote: Thu Apr 25, 2024 6:31 pm The place I'm getting my lines from is the border menu and I use the last item in the menu which appears to place a border around each and every cell.
Do you mean the last (fifth) Default Line arrangement button on the Borders tab of the Format Cells dialog? That button sets the outer border of the selection but does not change any other existing cell borders. If you want to set the outer and inner borders, use the fourth button.
AOO 4.1.14 on Ubuntu MATE 22.04