[Solved] PDQ install

Issues with installing under all versions of MS Windows
jdwIT

[Solved] PDQ install

Post by jdwIT »

Hoping to get some help with installing OO using PDQ Deploy. The pre-set package that PDQ offers in their library installs all components of OO, ADDLOCAL=ALL. I am needing help in setting up a custom install that only installs Writer and Calc. Only info I can find refers to version 3 but the files it says to use for the ADDLOCAL= command is not valid. Not much other info found on the internet and PDQ has not been any help. Thanks in advance.
Last edited by Hagar Delest on Mon Apr 22, 2024 5:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: tagged Solved.
OpenOffice 4.1.14 Windows 10
LastUnicorn

Re: PDQ install

Post by LastUnicorn »

Seems you might be new to OpenOffice and this forum. A suggestion for you would be to forget about OpenOffice and install LibreOffice instead. There are several good reasons for this some of which are mentioned here: [Tutorial] Considering a Switch from OpenOffice to LibreOffice? Some Useful Information This forum also provides support for LibreOffice.

On the point of only installing selected components of OpenOffice, or LibreOffice for that matter, is that if it is possible at all you will gain nothing much by way of making the attempt. OpenOffice/LibreOffice come as a tightly integrated packaged whole and the savings on disk of attempting to install only selected parts would be minimal if it could be done at all. More experienced forum participants will likely mention this as well.

In any case, welcome to the forum.
Windows 10 Pro. x64
LibreOffice (Still) 7.6.5.2 (x64) Fully installed to system
LibreOffice (Still) Portable 7.6.5.2 (x86) [PortableApps]
LastUnicorn

Post by LastUnicorn »

More information on this from LibreOffice (the same information would apply to the same principle for OpenOffice): Can I only install individual components of LibreOffice suite, like Writer without Calc?
Windows 10 Pro. x64
jdwIT

Post by jdwIT »

Thanks for the reply. Not new to OO, been using it for several of our users for something like 17 years. Yes, new to the forum. Hopefully someone will be able to answer my question.

LastUnicorn wrote: Wed Apr 17, 2024 7:55 pm Seems you might be new to OpenOffice and this forum. A suggestion for you would be to forget about OpenOffice and install LibreOffice instead. There are several good reasons for this some of which are mentioned here: [Tutorial] Considering a Switch from OpenOffice to LibreOffice? Some Useful Information This forum also provides support for LibreOffice.

On the point of only installing selected components of OpenOffice, or LibreOffice for that matter, is that if it is possible at all you will gain nothing much by way of making the attempt. OpenOffice/LibreOffice come as a tightly integrated packaged whole and the savings on disk of attempting to install only selected parts would be minimal if it could be done at all. More experienced forum participants will likely mention this as well.

In any case, welcome to the forum.
LastUnicorn

Post by LastUnicorn »

jdwIT wrote: Wed Apr 17, 2024 8:38 pm Not new to OO, been using it for several of our users for something like 17 years.
Well no one else has chimed in here so I suppose they think there really isn't anything to add. However, I would say that you would be very well (as already suggested) to read this which will take up all of thirty seconds of your time: Can I only install individual components of LibreOffice suite, like Writer without Calc?

It should be clear from reading that that if you succeed in your quest to install only Writer and Calc from an up-to-date version of OpenOffice/LibreOffice to your users' systems then you will be giving them an OpenOffice/LibreOffice installation that is highly likely to fail to operate correctly. Do you really want to do that to your users? If you are in business that could well end up as a black mark against your name.
Windows 10 Pro. x64
keme
Volunteer

Post by keme »

It may help if you explain the reason for wanting only Calc and Writer installed.
  • Save storage space?
    AFAIK the only space saved is for the "wrapper apps" providing different user interfaces. Wrappers total less than 2 MB in size.
  • Reduce user interface clutter?
    E.g.: Do you think the apps take up space unnecessarily in the start menu?
  • Avoid file type associations?
    Do you have different handler apps for ODF drawings, presentations or databases, and do not want to divert files to OO apps?
  • Reduce system load?
  • Registry modification skepticism?
  • Some other reason?
I don't know the innards of the PDQ, so explicit guidance must come from someone else, but perhaps general pointers will be sufficient.
Lupp
Volunteer

Post by Lupp »

jdwIT wrote: Wed Apr 17, 2024 7:20 pm ... The pre-set package that PDQ offers in their library ...
I am needing help in setting up a custom install that only installs Writer and Calc.
I don't know anything about special packages, but since you are on Win 10 as the OS, both my knowledge and my experience suggest the following questions:
Did you consider that ...
... it's not clear for what reasons somebody should think to need what you are asking for?
... the fundamental components of AOO/LibO are as well working stand-allone and being able to create files for the results of users' actions, as used/needed to embed models created by different modules as OLE objects into the primary documents?
... Math (formula) models/objects are often needed as embedded objects specifically in Writer documents?
... Embedded objects needing different modules can even be contained in AutoText entries of Writer?
... user code working for any module can create and use UNO-services which on the first glance seem to belong to a different module?
... the basically "monolithic" design of AOO/LibO is one of the most relevant of the many advantages over the split-up MsOffice applications?
On Windows 10: LibreOffice 24.2 (new numbering) and older versions, PortableOpenOffice 4.1.7 and older, StarOffice 5.2
---
Lupp from München
jdwIT

Post by jdwIT »

Only reason for installing Writer and Calc is that the users do not need the other apps. I have always been on the thought of why install something the user does not need. Keep it simple. For years when I have installed manually, I choose Custom and only install what I need for that user. Other users might be more, presentation for example. I have never installed the full package for any user over the years.

keme wrote: Thu Apr 18, 2024 12:25 pm It may help if you explain the reason for wanting only Calc and Writer installed.
  • Save storage space?
    AFAIK the only space saved is for the "wrapper apps" providing different user interfaces. Wrappers total less than 2 MB in size.
  • Reduce user interface clutter?
    E.g.: Do you think the apps take up space unnecessarily in the start menu?
  • Avoid file type associations?
    Do you have different handler apps for ODF drawings, presentations or databases, and do not want to divert files to OO apps?
  • Reduce system load?
  • Registry modification skepticism?
  • Some other reason?
I don't know the innards of the PDQ, so explicit guidance must come from someone else, but perhaps general pointers will be sufficient.
Lupp
Volunteer

Post by Lupp »

jdwIT wrote: Thu Apr 18, 2024 2:34 pm ...
Keep it simple.
You may have read my comment concerning embedding into Writer documents...
The insertion of a Math formula (as an OLE object) is offered by a menue item e.g.
If there were a way to exclude the installation of Math: Would you also try to change that menue?

AOO / LibO are NOT packages of separate applications like "MS Office".
Keep it simple! ... also for the person in charge of installing and updating applications.
On Windows 10: LibreOffice 24.2 (new numbering) and older versions, PortableOpenOffice 4.1.7 and older, StarOffice 5.2
---
Lupp from München
DiGro

Post by DiGro »

Go to Start > Settings > Apps > Installed apps > search for OpenOffice ...

Klik the … next to the item, choose Change, not Remove :-)

Knock yourself out

AOO 4.1.15 (Dutch) on Windows 11. Scanned with Ziggo Safe Online (F-Secure)
jdwIT

Post by jdwIT »

Someone had mentioned switching to LibreOffice. Never experimented with it but did some research and testing and was able to accomplish what I was wanting with little effort. I installed ALL then removed what I did not need. Now I need to determine if I want to switch and the impact to the users.
Lupp
Volunteer

Post by Lupp »

jdwIT wrote: Mon Apr 22, 2024 2:50 pm Someone had mentioned switching to LibreOffice. ...
The someone was @LastUnicorn.
jdwIT wrote: Mon Apr 22, 2024 2:50 pm ...I installed ALL then removed what I did not need. ...

What LibreOffice version? What source?
WHAT did you remove and HOW did you succeed with the removal?

Well this topic was yours, but this forum is for the COMMUNITY.
The next visitor will not look for statements of the kind, but for solutions. Just as you did, didn't you?
jdwIT wrote: Mon Apr 22, 2024 2:50 pm Now I need to determine if I want to switch and the impact to the users.
Yes. Acceptance is always a relevant question. Nowadays we may tell users that AOO development has stopped nearly completely.
They may even have to wait for ordinary bug fixes a long time.
And new useful features? ...
How long will the Apache foundation still continue to support the project at all?
---
Lupp from München
jdwIT

Post by jdwIT »

LibreOffice version 24.2.1.2. Using PDQ deploy. Setup for an MSI install. Below is the string I used. Removes Draw, Math, Base, Impress. It also removes all dictionaries and keeps English. That can be modified for languages you want.

ADDLOCAL=ALL AgreeToLicense=Yes CREATEDESKTOPLINK=0 REGISTER_ALL_MSO_TYPES=1 UI_LANGS=en_US REMOVE=gm_o_Onlineupdate,gm_p_Draw,gm_p_Math,gm_p_Base,gm_p_Impress,gm_r_ex_Dictionary_Af,gm_r_ex_Dictionary_An,gm_r_ex_Dictionary_Ar,gm_r_ex_Dictionary_Be,gm_r_ex_Dictionary_Bg,gm_r_ex_Dictionary_Bn,gm_r_ex_Dictionary_Bo,gm_r_ex_Dictionary_Br,gm_r_ex_Dictionary_Pt_Br,gm_r_ex_Dictionary_Bs,gm_r_ex_Dictionary_Pt_Pt,gm_r_ex_Dictionary_Ca,gm_r_ex_Dictionary_Cs,gm_r_ex_Dictionary_Da,gm_r_ex_Dictionary_Nl,gm_r_ex_Dictionary_Et,gm_r_ex_Dictionary_Gd,gm_r_ex_Dictionary_Gl,gm_r_ex_Dictionary_Gu,gm_r_ex_Dictionary_He,gm_r_ex_Dictionary_Hi,gm_r_ex_Dictionary_Hu,gm_r_ex_Dictionary_Lt,gm_r_ex_Dictionary_Lv,gm_r_ex_Dictionary_Ne,gm_r_ex_Dictionary_No,gm_r_ex_Dictionary_Oc,gm_r_ex_Dictionary_Pl,gm_r_ex_Dictionary_Ro,gm_r_ex_Dictionary_Ru,gm_r_ex_Dictionary_Si,gm_r_ex_Dictionary_Sk,gm_r_ex_Dictionary_Sl,gm_r_ex_Dictionary_El,gm_r_ex_Dictionary_Es,gm_r_ex_Dictionary_Sv,gm_r_ex_Dictionary_Te,gm_r_ex_Dictionary_Th,gm_r_ex_Dictionary_Tr,gm_r_ex_Dictionary_Uk,gm_r_ex_Dictionary_Vi,gm_r_ex_Dictionary_Zu,gm_r_ex_Dictionary_Sq,gm_r_ex_Dictionary_Hr,gm_r_ex_Dictionary_De,gm_r_ex_Dictionary_Id,gm_r_ex_Dictionary_Is,gm_r_ex_Dictionary_Ko,gm_r_ex_Dictionary_Lo,gm_r_ex_Dictionary_Mn,gm_r_ex_Dictionary_Sr,gm_r_ex_Dictionary_Eo,gm_r_ex_Dictionary_It,gm_r_ex_Dictionary_Fr,gm_r_ex_Dictionary_Fa,gm_r_ex_Dictionary_Ckb RebootYesNo=No
Lupp
Volunteer

Post by Lupp »

Thanks.
I assume the parameter string is specific to PDQ-Deploy. Is it?

I would like to see how the menus look like now.
Are menu entries related to removed components also removed?
How (e.g.) do in Writer look the submenus
>Insert >OLE Object and
>Insert >OLE Object >OLE Object...

What happens if a document from a trusted external source contains
... a Math formula? (not just a kind of thumbnail of it)
... an embedded drawing from Draw?

To not install unneeded locale-dependent offline help should be default anyway.
On the other hand I wouldn't expect that offline help concerning the Math component is removed by your proceeding.

So you may omit unwantede languages and dictionaries during the ordinary process of installing (from a .msi e.g.).

You will probably find the time to report your experiences insofar later.
Thanks in advance.
---
Lupp from München
jdwIT

Post by jdwIT »

Here is the command line string that can be used.

msiexec.exe /i "LibreOffice_64bit_24.2.1.2.msi" ALLUSERS=1 /qn /norestart /log output.log ADDLOCAL=ALL AgreeToLicense=Yes CREATEDESKTOPLINK=0 REGISTER_ALL_MSO_TYPES=1 UI_LANGS=en_US REMOVE=gm_o_Onlineupdate,gm_p_Draw,gm_p_Math,gm_p_Base,gm_p_Impress,gm_r_ex_Dictionary_Af,gm_r_ex_Dictionary_An,gm_r_ex_Dictionary_Ar,gm_r_ex_Dictionary_Be,gm_r_ex_Dictionary_Bg,gm_r_ex_Dictionary_Bn,gm_r_ex_Dictionary_Bo,gm_r_ex_Dictionary_Br,gm_r_ex_Dictionary_Pt_Br,gm_r_ex_Dictionary_Bs,gm_r_ex_Dictionary_Pt_Pt,gm_r_ex_Dictionary_Ca,gm_r_ex_Dictionary_Cs,gm_r_ex_Dictionary_Da,gm_r_ex_Dictionary_Nl,gm_r_ex_Dictionary_Et,gm_r_ex_Dictionary_Gd,gm_r_ex_Dictionary_Gl,gm_r_ex_Dictionary_Gu,gm_r_ex_Dictionary_He,gm_r_ex_Dictionary_Hi,gm_r_ex_Dictionary_Hu,gm_r_ex_Dictionary_Lt,gm_r_ex_Dictionary_Lv,gm_r_ex_Dictionary_Ne,gm_r_ex_Dictionary_No,gm_r_ex_Dictionary_Oc,gm_r_ex_Dictionary_Pl,gm_r_ex_Dictionary_Ro,gm_r_ex_Dictionary_Ru,gm_r_ex_Dictionary_Si,gm_r_ex_Dictionary_Sk,gm_r_ex_Dictionary_Sl,gm_r_ex_Dictionary_El,gm_r_ex_Dictionary_Es,gm_r_ex_Dictionary_Sv,gm_r_ex_Dictionary_Te,gm_r_ex_Dictionary_Th,gm_r_ex_Dictionary_Tr,gm_r_ex_Dictionary_Uk,gm_r_ex_Dictionary_Vi,gm_r_ex_Dictionary_Zu,gm_r_ex_Dictionary_Sq,gm_r_ex_Dictionary_Hr,gm_r_ex_Dictionary_De,gm_r_ex_Dictionary_Id,gm_r_ex_Dictionary_Is,gm_r_ex_Dictionary_Ko,gm_r_ex_Dictionary_Lo,gm_r_ex_Dictionary_Mn,gm_r_ex_Dictionary_Sr,gm_r_ex_Dictionary_Eo,gm_r_ex_Dictionary_It,gm_r_ex_Dictionary_Fr,gm_r_ex_Dictionary_Fa,gm_r_ex_Dictionary_Ckb RebootYesNo=No
Hagar Delest

Post by Hagar Delest »

jdwIT wrote: Mon Apr 22, 2024 2:50 pm Now I need to determine if I want to switch and the impact to the users.
Honestly, it's worth the switch. The interface is almost the same but more features in LO.
The only attention point would be macros. If you have old macros made in AOO, then they may have to be adjusted because there was a change few years ago in LO that required AOO macros to be modified, depending on the content (they still may run flawlessly).
LibreOffice 24.2 on Xubuntu 24.04 and 7.6.4.1 portable on Windows 10