[Solved] Set curly apostrophe as default

Discuss the word processor
Webster1963

[Solved] Set curly apostrophe as default

Post by Webster1963 »

Hi I have Openoffice 4.1.13 on my laptop
Can anyone tell me how to set a document to default to Curly apostrophes (sometimes called 'smart'). My open and closed quotation marks are curly but not single apostrophes.
I'd like it as a default too rather than just one document. Any help is appreciated. Ta!
Last edited by Hagar Delest on Wed Apr 17, 2024 2:39 pm, edited 1 time in total.
OpenOffice 4.1.13
Hagar Delest

Re: How to get default Curly Apostrophe

Post by Hagar Delest »

It should be a setting of the default language through the AutoCorrect options.
LibreOffice 24.2 on Xubuntu 24.04 and 7.6.4.1 portable on Windows 10
FJCC

Post by FJCC »

With a Writer document open, go to the menu Tools -> AutoCorrect Options. On the Localized Options tab, click the Replace box in the Singe Quotes section. That should be all you need to do.
OpenOffice 4.1 on Windows 10 and Linux Mint
If your question is answered, please go to your first post, select the Edit button, and add [Solved] to the beginning of the title.
MrProgrammer

Post by MrProgrammer »

Webster1963 wrote: Tue Apr 16, 2024 3:21 pm My open and closed quotation marks are curly but not single apostrophes.
You will also need to enable Format → AutoCorrect → While Typing, but that is the default setting. To convert previously created Writer documents which have straight single quotes to use custom (curly) single quotes read the following tutorial.
[Tutorial] Convert straight quotes to custom quotes with AutoCorrect

If you need any additional assistance with the tutorial attach a document demonstrating the difficulty (remove confidential information then use Post Reply, not Quick Reply, and don't attach a picture instead of the document itself). I will not help further unless you attach a Writer document. Explain what does not work as you would like.

If this solved your problem please go to your first post use the Edit button and add [Solved] to the start of the Subject field. Select the green checkmark icon at the same time.
Mr. Programmer
AOO 4.1.7 Build 9800, MacOS 13.6.3, iMac Intel.   The locale for any menus or Calc formulas in my posts is English (USA).
Webster1963

Post by Webster1963 »

Hey, thanks all of you. Did it and it worked.
Mr Programmer, thanks. I clicked on 'apply' and it converted all the straights into curlys too. Great :)
OpenOffice 4.1.13