Spell check not working, at all, one document

Discuss the word processor
BobN

Spell check not working, at all, one document

Post by BobN »

I looked at the number of suggestions give to fix spell check problems and decided to start a new thread.

I have at least one document in which spell check can not find errors.

I am working on a large project with many relative sized documents.

I have 18 currently open (Windows 7 Professional) right now. All but one of them has spelling checking as I expect.

This one document seems to be straight forward, there's use of a couple of different fonts and sites, some numbering but nothing that that visible sets it aside to other 17 open documents were spell check works just fine.

I selected all the contents, copied it, opened a new document, and pasted the contents into it. Spell check sill not working.

I have compared the settings is Menu File -> Page Properties I see no difference across pages.

I checked Menu Tools -> Options I see no differences.
----------------------------------------------------------------------
Note - I read a posting that said to got to Tools, lick Spelling and Crammer, and then click Options button

Ahhhhh - if you are doing that in a document with no spelling errors, you have no opportunity to click the Options button.

Once the sell checker says it's finished, the dialog window with the Options button closes itself,

The only way to get at the options button is have at least one spelling error. When spell check hits the error, it will throw out the display to let you correct the spelling AND the Options button is then clickable.

One must be careful when giving "fixes" that it actually works. In this case the poster apparently did not realize the with no spelling errors, you won't be able to click Options before the dialog window closes.
---------------------------

Any thoughts on the matter of spell check not working in 1 of 18 9pen documents?
OpenOffice 3.3.0
Windows 7 Home Premium 64-bit Service Pack 1
Processor Celeron CPU 900 @ 2.20GHZ 2.19
robleyd

Re: Spell check not working, at all, one document

Post by robleyd »

Have you looked at [Troubleshooting] Spell check in OpenOffice? In particular see 3 Paragraph Style Settings - it may be that the language of the document doesn't match.
Cheers
David
OS - Slackware 15 64 bit
Apache OpenOffice 4.1.15
LibreOffice 24.2.2.2; SlackBuild for 24.2.2 by Eric Hameleers
Zizi64
Volunteer

Post by Zizi64 »

Dis you set the proper language property in the applied Paragraph style?
Can you upload an ODF type sample file here?
Tibor Kovacs, Hungary; LO7.5.8 /Win7-10 x64Prof.
PortableApps/winPenPack: LO3.3.0-7.6.2;AOO4.1.14
Please, edit the initial post in the topic: add the word [Solved] at the beginning of the subject line - if your problem has been solved.
BobN

Post by BobN »

I skimmed through it but it seems to apply system wide, not for one particular document.
OpenOffice 3.3.0
Windows 7 Home Premium 64-bit Service Pack 1
Processor Celeron CPU 900 @ 2.20GHZ 2.19
Hagar Delest

Post by Hagar Delest »

Then read it read it more carefully and you'll see that it goes beyond the general settings. Especially of you check the tutorial that is linked in the first post.
Upload an excerpt of your document showing the issue, I bet there is some direct formatting preventing the spell check to act (see How to attach a document here).
LibreOffice 7.6.2.1 on Xubuntu 23.10 and 7.6.4.1 portable on Windows 10
floris v
Volunteer

Post by floris v »

There is an old bug that starts a blank document from a faulty template that doesn't allow you to set a language for your text when you make a new document from Windows Explorer. Maybe that's your problem here.
OpenOffice 4.1.11 on Ubuntu; LibreOffice 6.4 on Linux Mint, LibreOffice 7.6.2.1 on Ubuntu
If your problem has been solved or your question has been answered, please edit the first post in this thread and add [Solved] to the title bar.
Nederlandstalig forum
Hagar Delest

Post by Hagar Delest »

For documents made from the context menu in the Windows Explorer, it's not a bug IMHO. Maybe a missing feature since the user needs to perform an action to update that "template".
LibreOffice 7.6.2.1 on Xubuntu 23.10 and 7.6.4.1 portable on Windows 10