[Solved] Template Stopped Working

Using them, Making them, Finding them
jimjinphx

[Solved] Template Stopped Working

Post by jimjinphx »

I've been using a template I created for documents for some time. Suddenly, it stopped functioning. I tried deleting and creating a new one but continue to have the problem. I am using version 4.1.15. For example, I prefer 0.20" between paragraphs and all text justified. Now, when I go to a new paragraph, I get 0.08" separation and aligned left. I can adjust it manually but that sort of defeats the use of a template.

At the same time, the tool bar on the right side (Properties, Styles and Formatting, Gallery and Navigator) stopped working with none of the functions responding when clicking on them.

Any and all suggestions to correct this are greatly appreciated.
Last edited by Hagar Delest on Wed Mar 20, 2024 9:50 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: tagged solved.
OpenOffice 4.1.4
Windows 10
robleyd

Re: Template Stopped Working

Post by robleyd »

Is your question in regard to existing files using the template, or new files based on the template?

Is this template set as the default template? How do you create a new document when intending to use the template?
Cheers
David
OS - Slackware 15 64 bit
Apache OpenOffice 4.1.15
LibreOffice 24.2.2.2; SlackBuild for 24.2.2 by Eric Hameleers
jimjinphx

Post by jimjinphx »

Yes, it is set as the default template. When I create a new document, it doesn't work as intended. Once the document is finished and I made the formatting corrections manually, it is fine.
OpenOffice 4.1.4
Windows 10
robleyd

Post by robleyd »

So, how do you create a new document - File | New from within Writer, or something else; if else what is the process?
Cheers
David
OS - Slackware 15 64 bit
Apache OpenOffice 4.1.15
jimjinphx

Post by jimjinphx »

Hi David - I either use File|New or click on the New File (Ctrl+N) in the Toolbar. The other strange thing that happens is when I hit Enter for a new paragraph, the previous paragraph only returns to Align Left and I only get 0.08" separation between paragraphs.

All of this only started recently but I'm not sure if it is associated with updating to Version 4.1.15. I've tried deleting all copies of the template file and making a new default one without success.

Thanks for the help and I'll do a search to see if I missed an old template somewhere.

Jim
OpenOffice 4.1.4
Windows 10
robleyd

Post by robleyd »

Okay so it isn't Windows being helpful; New file from Windows Explorer doesn't create a file based on AOO default template.

The only thing I can suggest is to double check that you still have the appropriate template set as default. Although it seems you have done this?
Cheers
David
OS - Slackware 15 64 bit
Apache OpenOffice 4.1.15
jimjinphx

Post by jimjinphx »

Hi David - Yes, I have....twice. I think I'll just do a complete deletion and reinstall and if the problem persists try going back to Version 4.1.14.

Thanks for your help and I'll let you know if that works.

Jim
OpenOffice 4.1.4
Windows 10
jimjinphx

Post by jimjinphx »

Hi David - I did a complete delete and reinstallation of Version 4.1.15. That seemed to do the trick after I set up another template to my liking. I guess some unknown gremlin needed something to do.

Thanks again for your help.

Jim
OpenOffice 4.1.4
Windows 10
Bill
Volunteer

Post by Bill »

jimjinphx wrote: Wed Mar 20, 2024 6:43 am The other strange thing that happens is when I hit Enter for a new paragraph, the previous paragraph only returns to Align Left and I only get 0.08" separation between paragraphs.
The Apply Styles AutoCorrect option must have been recently enabled. When it is enabled, the paragraph style changes from the Default style to the Text body style when you press Enter. If the paragraph alignment and spacing were specified in the Default paragraph style in the template, the change to the Text body paragraph style would explain why your paragraph alignment and spacing changed. It's a problem with the AutoCorrect option, not the template.
AOO 4.1.14 on Ubuntu MATE 22.04
jimjinphx

Re: [Solved] Template Stopped Working

Post by jimjinphx »

Thanks for the information and I made sure that doesn't happen again.
OpenOffice 4.1.4
Windows 10