Cannot boot Windows after installing Ubuntu

Talk about anything at all....
ramiroflores

Cannot boot Windows after installing Ubuntu

Post by ramiroflores »

Can anyone help me with this error?

I installed dual boot ubuntu on windows OS, after installing but I can't boot windows again it shows an error

error: file '/efi/microsoft/boot/bootmgfw.efi' not found

Can anyone help me what to do?
Last edited by MrProgrammer on Wed Mar 20, 2024 5:38 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Expanded problem description
OpenOffice 4.1.15 windown
keme
Volunteer

Re: cannot boot windows

Post by keme »

This forum site targets user problems with OpenOffice and related office software suites, not operating system software. It is highly unlikely that your issue is related to the existence, or not, of OpenOffice/LibreOffice on your system, either in Windows or Linux volumes.

This question is better posed to the Ubuntu site where you acquired your linux install. If the dual boot setup fails in certain situations, they need to know about it and fix it, so it doesn't harm other people's installs.

IOW: Addressing the proper target is more likely to give you the help you need, and may also help others.
Hagar Delest

Re: cannot boot windows

Post by Hagar Delest »

Hi and welcome to the forum!

I have moved your topic to the General section since it has nothing to do with OpenOffice.
You may have better results in dedicated forums (especially the Ubuntu ones).

You need to provide more information. What option have you used when installing Ubuntu? I do that every 6 months for each new release and IIRC, you have to select the installation in parallel with other operating systems. If you install as the single system, then you won't be able to dual boot.
As a first step, you could try to reinstall Ubuntu and see if installing with the option "in parallel" (or something like that) gives you access again to your Windows partition. If the partition has been deleted by the Ubuntu installation (if you told it would be the only operating system on the drive), then few chance to recover anything. You'll have to reinstall Windows first I guess.
LibreOffice 7.6.2.1 on Xubuntu 23.10 and 7.6.4.1 portable on Windows 10
kodehash

Re: Cannot boot Windows after installing Ubuntu

Post by kodehash »

If you're unable to boot into Windows after installing Ubuntu alongside it, it's likely that the Ubuntu installation process has overwritten or disrupted the Windows bootloader. Here's a step-by-step guide to help you fix the issue and regain access to your Windows operating system:

1. Boot from Ubuntu Live USB/DVD:
Start by booting your computer from the Ubuntu Live USB or DVD that you used for installation.

2. Open Terminal:
Once Ubuntu Live is loaded, open a terminal window. You can usually find the Terminal application in the Applications menu or by searching for it in the dash.

3. Install Boot Repair:
In the terminal, run the following commands to install Boot Repair:

```
sudo add-apt-repository ppa:yannubuntu/boot-repair
sudo apt-get update
sudo apt-get install boot-repair
```

4. Run Boot Repair:
After Boot Repair is installed, launch it by typing the following command in the terminal:

```
boot-repair
```

5. Use Recommended Repair:
Boot Repair will open a graphical interface. Click on the "Recommended Repair" option. This will automatically scan your system, reinstall the GRUB bootloader, and fix any boot-related issues.

6. Follow On-Screen Instructions:
Follow the on-screen instructions provided by Boot Repair. It may prompt you to perform additional steps or confirm certain actions. Make sure to carefully read and follow the instructions.

7. Restart Your Computer:
Once Boot Repair has completed its process, restart your computer and remove the Ubuntu Live USB or DVD.

8. Boot into Windows:
After restarting your computer, you should see the GRUB bootloader menu, which should now include an option to boot into Windows. Select the Windows option and press Enter to boot into your Windows operating system.

9. Verify Windows Booting:
Once Windows has booted successfully, log in and verify that everything is functioning as expected. You may also want to check the partition layout using disk management tools in Windows to ensure that both Windows and Ubuntu partitions are intact.

Following these steps should help you fix the boot-related issues caused by the Ubuntu installation and regain access to your Windows operating system. If you encounter any errors or issues during the process, please feel free to ask for further assistance.
Last edited by kodehash on Fri Apr 05, 2024 7:20 am, edited 1 time in total.
OpenOffice 4.1.15 on Windows 10 At Kodehash, we're more than just a [url=https://kodehash.com/]mobile app development company [/url] - we're your partners in growth.
RoryOF

Re: Cannot boot Windows after installing Ubuntu

Post by RoryOF »

You will get more explicit help by checking postings on an ubuntu support forum, such as
https://ubuntuforums.org
Apache OpenOffice 4.1.15 on Xubuntu 22.04.4 LTS