[Solved] Create report with "Comments" filled in

Creating tables and queries
MFL_2024

[Solved] Create report with "Comments" filled in

Post by MFL_2024 »

I am a former MS Access, Crystal Report Writer user and programmer (25+ years ago).
I only have Open Office to work with now and have no experience with O.Office Database and have not used Calc with a data source before.

My final goal is to have a report with data combined from "01 Linked Tables" or to use the "01 Linked Tables" to create a new table called "Final Report Table" and then create the report using this table. I don't know which I should use to do this either Spreedsheet or Database. I have never attempted this before using Open Office.

"Master Item List" (.ods format)
"Ship To List" (csv format)

I wanted to create a new database using "An existing database "Master Item List" as "create new database" using "spreadsheet". It Allows me to do that, it creates the table. At this point it won't let me bring in "Ship To List" to create a table. I get error "Java Runtime Environment" JRE is needed. I downloaded from the Net JRE, installed it, rebooted my computer, started O.Office Database and it still won't allow me to bring in the table I want as described above.

My final goal is to create a report showing data from "Written Table".
If Database is not capable of creating a new table called "Written Table", I would create the report using both tables "Master Item List" and
"Ship To List" pulling out each "field" of each table into the report.

If I can use Calc and use "Master Item List" as my data source as a better solution that is fine. I bring up "Ship To List", use "Master Item List" as my data source and want to fill in field "Comment" with the data from "Master Item List".

Some assistance please.
Appreciated - thanks!!
Attachments
final report table.jpg
final report table.jpg (46.84 KiB) Viewed 943 times
01 linked tables.jpg
01 linked tables.jpg (65.18 KiB) Viewed 943 times
Last edited by MrProgrammer on Wed Mar 20, 2024 7:56 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Tagged ✓ [Solved] -- MrProgrammer, forum moderator
Mountaineer

Re: Create report with "Comments" filled in

Post by Mountaineer »

IMHO spreadsheets and csv-files are really "datasources" and read only from the database side. If you wish to modify them, you have to open the spreadsheet in Calc.

For an report wich combines data from two tables use a "real" database and create your tables there.

I recommend to start with the guide to Base from LibreOffice get help section. Please note, the default database of AOO/LO is written in Java itself, so this will need Java, as well as the Oracle Report Builder, wich was integrated to LibreOffice.

For security of data consider, if you really wish to use an embedded database, or prefer some split db or a real client/Server like MariaDB.

In database terms/ SQL you wish to JOIN two tables. Maybe just use google for "SQL JOIN". But at the shown level your final "report" could also be done with a simple lookup in Calc...
Last edited by Mountaineer on Sat Mar 16, 2024 8:52 pm, edited 1 time in total.
OpenOffice 3.1 on Windows Vista
FJCC

Post by FJCC »

@MFL_2024 - If you want to make a fully functional database from csv files, i.e. both "Master Item List" and "Ship To List" are csv files, that can be done with a modest amount of set up work. Let me know if you are interested in that. It would then be simple to make the desired summary table for your report.
OpenOffice 4.1 on Windows 10 and Linux Mint
If your question is answered, please go to your first post, select the Edit button, and add [Solved] to the beginning of the title.
MFL_2024

Post by MFL_2024 »

Thanks all that helped me - so much appreciated!!

Downloaded and Installed Libre.

Also, I uninstalled the version of JRE I had which was the 64 bit and installed the 32 bit. <--- This was my issue.

Pasted in my two CSV files to Libre database as tables

Created my relationship between the two tables, wrote a queiry, ran it, ended up with with the proper results, copied the results, pasted it into spreedsheet, formated the spreadsheet and I am now good to go.

May be a few more steps than I needed but I ended up with the proper results.

Only issue was that when I tried to create a relationship between the two files Libre was insisting on a unique "primary key" for the tables. I wanted to use a field that had multiple keys of the same. Anyway got around that when I was creating the queiry.

The results of the queiry I copied and pasted into "spreadsheet" because I am more familiar with creating reports with that then "Report" in Libre database.

Thanks again for your help. Much appreciated!!
Open Office 4.1.15
Windows Home Edition 10.0.19045 Build 19045
Libre v24.2.12 (X86)