Compare changes between two documents

Discuss the word processor
mrow22

Compare changes between two documents

Post by mrow22 »

Hi I've made the mistake of making changes over a month or so in two documents, thinking they were one document. I need to identify all the changes I've made in one document and most likely place them in the other document which I will save. I'll delete the similar document. Is there a way to compare words, word group, paragraphs or pages between one doc and the other? I am working with 119 pages in each. Thank you ~ Donald
Last edited by MrProgrammer on Sat Mar 09, 2024 2:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Edited topic's subject
LibreOffice 7.6.7.2 (x64)
FJCC

Re: Comparing changes in two nearly identical docs.

Post by FJCC »

In OpenOffice, there is a menu item Edit -> Compare Documents. Make back up copies of both documents in case you get tangled up. Open the document you want to keep, choose Edit -> Compare Documents (or whatever it is called in LibreOffice) and the differences will be displayed as tracked changes that you can accept or reject. I suggest you examine the original documents versus the marked up version to be sure you understand how the changes are marked.
OpenOffice 4.1 on Windows 10 and Linux Mint
If your question is answered, please go to your first post, select the Edit button, and add [Solved] to the beginning of the title.
mrow22

Re: Compare changes between two documents

Post by mrow22 »

Hi thanks, will check this right now. At the moment, I am comparing graph by graph and it is difficult. Yes, I see a similar feature (in Edit, in a sub-menu "Track Changes," will need to try it for a while to see if it is what I am looking for. I have both documents running. For any other suggestions, I am using Libre 7.3.7.2 x64 > Thank You, Don
Last edited by mrow22 on Sat Mar 09, 2024 3:05 am, edited 1 time in total.
robleyd

Post by robleyd »

Edit | Track Changes is not what you want for differences between two documents. Try FJCCs suggestion.
Cheers
David
OS - Slackware 15 64 bit
Apache OpenOffice 4.1.15
LibreOffice 24.2.2.2; SlackBuild for 24.2.2 by Eric Hameleers
mrow22

Post by mrow22 »

For David, I have not seen an obvious alternative to "Track Changes" as of yet. Only thing I have found is a long list of differences in a box, with a column showing only today's date for each even though I've made them within the past few days or week. I do recognize the differences, so it is something. Not sure what the feature should look like.
robleyd

Post by robleyd »

My apologies - I had forgotten to look before I leaped, forgetting how much the LO menu structure has changed from AOO.

Yes, for LO Edit | Track Changes | Compare Document is the way to go. AOO however has Track changes and Document Comparison as separate options under Edit.
compare.png
compare.png (40.61 KiB) Viewed 1238 times
You may wish to look at the Help for comparing documents
Cheers
David
OS - Slackware 15 64 bit
Apache OpenOffice 4.1.15
mrow22

Post by mrow22 »

Thank you David and FJCC. I've gone through one, and now have a slightly older one to check against what I'm presently using (it is a tech manual, again with a nearly identical filename which might have been modified two to three weeks ago). My fault this happened but right now I want to try and determine if there are any changes made a few weeks ago which were intended to only be included in the newest version. Going forward, I'll do a better job with the filenames and delete or move the rest. This is a slow-evolving 10 yr tech manual and changes could occur anywhere in it. LO doesn't make this easy. Is AOO the better suite to use? Guess I need to research. Thanks, will try again ~~ Don
MrProgrammer

Post by MrProgrammer »

mrow22 wrote: Sun Mar 10, 2024 1:14 am I'll do a better job with the filenames and delete or move the rest.
If you have a file which you want to protect against accidental changes, you can use File → Properties → Security → Open file read-only → OK, then save and close the document. To remove that attribute, open the read-only file and:
• OpenOffice: use the Edit File icon on the standard toolbar
• LibreOffice: use menu Edit → Edit Mode
then clear File → Properties → Security → Open file read-only and re-save.
Edit File icon on the standard toolbar
Edit File icon on the standard toolbar
202403091754.png (37.83 KiB) Viewed 904 times
If this solved your problem please go to your first post use the Edit button and add [Solved] to the start of the Subject field. Select the green checkmark icon at the same time.
Mr. Programmer
AOO 4.1.7 Build 9800, MacOS 13.6.3, iMac Intel.   The locale for any menus or Calc formulas in my posts is English (USA).
robleyd

Post by robleyd »

LO doesn't make this easy. Is AOO the better suite to use
Both AOO and LO seem to be very similar in the interface for document comparison.
Cheers
David
OS - Slackware 15 64 bit
Apache OpenOffice 4.1.15
mrow22

Post by mrow22 »

Thanks much. A question regarding the dialog box: The date column is always showing the current date and I'm not sure of the value of that information. I am trying it now with the leading document vs. one that is 3 issues back. I have no idea what or where an important (and lost) change might be, so must trudge through an ever increasing number of false comparisons.