[Solved] Install OpenOffice Writer

Discuss setup / installation issues - Add a spell checker, Language pack?
Webster1963

[Solved] Install OpenOffice Writer

Post by Webster1963 »

I hope this doesn't sound too stupid but...how do I get OpenOffice Writer? I have a laptop. When I google it, it just gives me links to open office (which I have 4.1.13).
Last edited by MrProgrammer on Fri Mar 15, 2024 3:38 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Tagged ✓ [Solved] -- MrProgrammer, forum moderator
OpenOffice 4.1.13
Hagar Delest

Re: Install OpenOffice Writer

Post by Hagar Delest »

It is to be considered as a single product with all its modules (Writer, Calc...). Disk space is not a problem anymore so don't bother removing the other modules. They weight few MB only, most of the suite is made of shared files.

Please add [Solved] at the beginning of the title in your first post (top of the topic) with the 🖉 button if your issue has been fixed.
LibreOffice 7.6.2.1 on Xubuntu 23.10 and 7.6.4.1 portable on Windows 10
MrProgrammer

Re: Install OpenOffice Writer

Post by MrProgrammer »

Webster1963 wrote: Fri Mar 08, 2024 11:51 pm How do I get OpenOffice Writer?
If you installed OpenOffice 4.1.13 then you already have it.
202403081656.gif
202403081656.gif (47.24 KiB) Viewed 1223 times
OpenOffice has multiple components, Writer (text documents), Calc (spreadsheets), Impress (presentations), Draw (drawings), etc. When you install OpenOffice (use that link), you get them all. If you only want to use Writer, just ignore the others. Here is a link to OpenOffice documentation. Even though you are installing OpenOffice version 4, the documentation for that is not complete but you can use the version 3 documentation because the two versions are very similar in usage. I mostly use PDFs of OpenOffice.org 3.3 User Guides. The Writer for Students guide will answer many of the questions that beginners have.

OpenOffice doesn't have an upgrade feature. You will just install a new release of OpenOffice and doing that will overwrite the old release.

You should indicate what operating system you use in your forum signature because we may need to know that if you have a question later.

If this solved your problem please go to your first post use the Edit button and add [Solved] to the start of the Subject field. Select the green checkmark icon at the same time.
Mr. Programmer
AOO 4.1.7 Build 9800, MacOS 13.6.3, iMac Intel.   The locale for any menus or Calc formulas in my posts is English (USA).
Webster1963

Re: [Solved] Install OpenOffice Writer

Post by Webster1963 »

Ok thanks. I wonder why people call it that.
OpenOffice 4.1.13
LastUnicorn

Re: [Solved] Install OpenOffice Writer

Post by LastUnicorn »

You might want to think about installing LibreOffice instead of OpenOffice. There are several good reasons to do so some of which are detailed here: [Tutorial] Considering a Switch from OpenOffice to LibreOffice? Some Useful Information

This forum deals with LibreOffice too.
Windows 10 Pro. x64
LibreOffice (Still) 7.6.5.2 (x64) Fully installed to system
LibreOffice (Still) Portable 7.6.5.2 (x86) [PortableApps]