[Solved] Install OpenOffice in Deepin Linux

Issues with installing under all GNU/Linux Distributions
hans1

[Solved] Install OpenOffice in Deepin Linux

Post by hans1 »

Beste lezer,

eerdere jaren gebruik ik OpenOffice writer.
Tot mijn spijt weet ik niet hoe ik OO in Deepin Linux te installeren.
Dit is het enige programma dat mij rtegen houd om volledig over te stappen.
Inmiddels natuurlijk via lezen geprobeerd om te leren hoe dat te doen.
Maar alle kenners schrijven voor hoe dat te doen omdat ze veel meer weten van het programmeren met Linux.

Graag zou ik een stapsgewijs overzicht zien hoe ik een .deb installatie van OO in Deepin moet doen.

Ik wacht met spanning op een uitgebreid antwoord.

Oh ja natuurlijk heb ik hier op het forum al het e.e.a. gelezen.

Dank voor de moeite bij voorbaat.

Hans

Edit: This is an English-speaking forum. If you post in Dutch again, the topic will be locked.
Dutch-speaking community of users of Apache OpenOffice, LibreOffice, and all derived products
Courtesy translation follows: -- MrProgrammer, forum moderator

Earlier years I use OpenOffice writer. To my regret, I do not know how to install OO in Deepin Linux. This is the only program that keeps me from switching completely. Meanwhile of course tried via reading to learn how to do that. But all the experts prescribe how to do that because they know much more about programming with Linux. Would love to see a step-by-step guide on how to do a .deb install of OO in Deepin.

I eagerly await a comprehensive reply. Oh yes of course I have already read a few things here on the forum. Thanks for the effort in advance.

Last edited by Hagar Delest on Wed Mar 06, 2024 10:37 pm, edited 3 times in total.
Reason: tagged solved.
open office3.1 Windows 11 / Deepin Linux
floris v
Volunteer

Re: Deepin Installatie

Post by floris v »

Allereerst natuurlijk welkom op het forum. We hebben een Nederlandstalige afdeling op https://forum.openoffice.org/nl/forum/index.php, maar die wordt natuurlijk niet zo druk bezocht. Op de Engelstalige afdeling graag in het Engels schrijven, dan bereik je ook meer mensen.

Wat installatie van Apache OpenOffice op Deepin Linux (kende ik nog niet, moet ik bekennen) betreft: doe het niet. Je krijgt op Linux standaard al LibreOffice, dat regelmatig upgrades krijgt zoals vroeger OpenOffice. Het kan alles wat OpenOffice kan, en nog meer. Het gebruikt standaard wel een update van de bestandsindeling van ODF (waar OpenOffice standaard in opslaat). Dat betekent dat LibreOffice de bestanden die OpenOffice opslaat, wel kan openen, maar omgekeerd kunnen er problemen optreden.
Als je het toch wil, moet je in het terminalvenster aan de slag met commando's zoals sudo apt install of dpkg en als je daar niet vertrouwd mee bent, zou ik er helemaal niet aan beginnen. Bij elke upgrade moet je de oude versie de-installeren en dan de nieuwe versie installeren, dat gaat allemaal veel lastiger dan in Windows.

Edit: Courtesy translation follows: -- MrProgrammer, forum moderator
First of all, of course, welcome to the forum. We have a Dutch-language section at https://forum.openoffice.org/nl/forum/index.php, but of course it is not very busy. In the English section, please write in English, then you will reach more people.

Regarding the installation of Apache OpenOffice on Deepin Linux (I did not know it yet, I must confess): don't do it. You already get LibreOffice by default on Linux, which gets regular upgrades like OpenOffice used to. It can do everything OpenOffice can, and more. It does use an update to the ODF file format (which OpenOffice saves in by default) by default. That means that LibreOffice can open the files OpenOffice saves, but vice versa there may be problems.
If you do want it, you have to get started in the terminal window with commands like sudo apt install or dpkg, and if you're not familiar with those, I wouldn't start it at all. With any upgrade you have to uninstall the old version and then install the new version, which is all much more difficult than in Windows.

Last edited by MrProgrammer on Tue Mar 05, 2024 1:29 am, edited 1 time in total.
OpenOffice 4.1.11 on Ubuntu; LibreOffice 6.4 on Linux Mint, LibreOffice 7.6.2.1 on Ubuntu
If your problem has been solved or your question has been answered, please edit the first post in this thread and add [Solved] to the title bar.
Nederlandstalig forum
RoryOF

Post by RoryOF »

This thread is a request on how to install OpenOffice on Deepin (a deb linux) and floris v's advice to go with LibreOffice if that is available in that distro's repositories.

The sequence of commands to install OpenOffice on linux is given in

viewtopic.php?t=50119

@floris v: I never found it necessary to uninstall an earlier version. Later OpenOffice installs overwrite the older version.
Apache OpenOffice 4.1.15 on Xubuntu 22.04.4 LTS
floris v
Volunteer

Post by floris v »

@Rory: my bad. You know what? I didn't even notice that this is in the English language forum.
OpenOffice 4.1.11 on Ubuntu; LibreOffice 6.4 on Linux Mint, LibreOffice 7.6.2.1 on Ubuntu
If your problem has been solved or your question has been answered, please edit the first post in this thread and add [Solved] to the title bar.
Nederlandstalig forum
hans1

Re: Install OpenOffice in Deepin Linux

Post by hans1 »

Floris en Roy van harte bedabkt.
Ik had dat al gelezen van Libre Office, maar ik vind LibreOffice teveel en te groot en daardoor minder overzichtelijk,
Wat betreft de installatie van OO heb je helemaal gelijk.\Met mijn zeer beperkte kennis heb ik van alles geprobeerd maar het lukte niet ook niet na het verwijderen van LibreOffice wat automatisch werd geinstalleerd (dat is nu waar ik een hekel aan heb).
Nogmaals dank

Hans

Translation appended [RoryOF, Moderator]

Floris and Roy thank you very much.
I had already read that about Libre Office, but I find LibreOffice too much and too big and therefore less clear,
As for the installation of OO, you are absolutely right.ith my very limited knowledge I tried everything but it did not work even after uninstalling LibreOffice which was automatically installed (which is now what I hate).
Thanks again

Hans
Last edited by MrProgrammer on Tue Mar 05, 2024 5:50 pm, edited 1 time in total.
open office3.1 Windows 11 / Deepin Linux
RoryOF

Post by RoryOF »

Here are the exact steps needed to install OpenOffice on a linux distro using debs.

Change to your Download directory, to which you have downloaded the tar file. Then

Code: Select all

tar vxf the_full_name_of_the_file.tar.gz.

this will unpack the file into a folder with name something like en-US in the downloads folder.
Change into that folder, then into DEBS folder in it
then

Code: Select all

sudo dpkg -i *.deb

cd desktop-integration
sudo dpkg -i *.deb

Do not omit the desktop integration folder change

Linux is sensitive to the case of the commands.
Hagar Delest

Post by Hagar Delest »

Please, this is an English-speaking forum. Next time there is a post in Dutch, I just delete the topic. It is already the 2nd warning!
LibreOffice 7.6.2.1 on Xubuntu 23.10 and 7.6.4.1 portable on Windows 10
floris v
Volunteer

Post by floris v »

Sorry about that, next time this happens, I will post a translation as well. ;=)
Nederlandstalig forum
Hagar Delest

Post by Hagar Delest »

Received on the admin mailbox, not even in English of course. :roll:

allen bedankt en excuus voor de typos. Ik word oud,lol

-> thank you all and excuse the typos. I am getting old,lol
RoryOF

Re: [Solved] Install OpenOffice in Deepin Linux

Post by RoryOF »

For general information:

many of the Moderators and Volunteers on this forum find
https://www.deepl.com/translator
provides a good translation of postings.

There is also
translate.google.com
which offers a wider range of languages but perhaps not as nice a translation as deepl.com.
Hagar Delest

Post by Hagar Delest »

Sure but there is a Dutch forum. The English forum can be seen as a clean common ground for all the English-speaking users, thus not posting in English is just disrespectful.

Personally, as a moderator I disapprove all non-English posts from new users.
floris v
Volunteer

Post by floris v »

There is indeed a Dutch language forum, but it doesn't get a lot of traffic, so people may think they have a better chance to get their questions answered when they post here. I was somewhat drowsy when I approved that post, thinking I was on the Dutch language section. :oops: :lol:
Nederlandstalig forum
RoryOF

Post by RoryOF »

It might be that the OP, who admits to being elderly (said ROF, 78!) had no English.

I sometimes try to append a translation from deepl.com to a foreign language posting. In the case where a user is posting in non-native English, it can be useful if (s)he appends a native language version, so that an alternative translation, whether from the knowledge of a Volunteer or a translation site can be obtained. This sometime sorts out ambiguities of terms used.